ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Steering Rack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Power Steering Rack Reply with quote

Just thought I should mention this info if anyone else was in need of a PS rack.

I picked up a rebuilt Power Steering Rack off from ebay. Here is one of the guy's auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33589&item=7933706335&rd=1

It is the correct 15:1 sport steering ration rack (the steering "stud" turns 2.5 turns from lock to lock, I tested it) and comes with the early bushings (they changed for 1986). The housing is stamped "Ford" on it and is the one-piece housing variety.

$68 shipped and no tax or core charge. The same guy has 86+ ones for sale

Some Pics:

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Euro#13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the info and links.

I am not sure why he has two different part numbers listed for '85 & '86 though, everything that I have ever seen list the same part number for those years. Shrug

Also he lists that as being a TRW #15707RS but that number is actually for a FWD GM application. #15736 is however the correct TRW number.

I have bought three different rebuilt racks over the years and all three of them were painted black and although they were nice rebuilds, they didn't have the nice details that this rack you got has.

The boot clamps are just like the OEM ones. Good Job
It's not painted black so it looks OEM correct. Good Job
the fittings look new, not reused. Good Job

Up until about 2 years ago, you could still buy a brand new rack assembly from TRW/Federal Mogul, by looking at your pictures I would almost bet that the rack you have is a private labeled one of those, it looks too good to be a remanufactured unit.

Very nice find, especially for the price.

I think I may just have to order one of these. Very Happy

Brent
Former owner of EuroCoupe #13
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5-speed; 1 of 7,860
1971 Ford Ranchero; 1 of 2,595
Hi-Jumper mid-engine sandrail w/2.3 turbo
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy who works for a steering rack manufacturer says that in mid 85 they switched to a slightly different bushing (one piece vs 2 piece) and one of the hard lines made a loop before going into the casing instead of a "U".

This one looks to be just like what is on my car now. The bushings look right and my car has the "U" bend in the hard line.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Euro#13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot about the bushing change.
Didn't know about the hard lines being different though.

Thanks for the info.

Brent
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro#13 wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about the bushing change.
Didn't know about the hard lines being different though.

Thanks for the info.

Brent

I'm a little confused on the hard lines too. I looked online for some pictures and could not find any with different hard lines.

The only 360 degree hard line turn I found was on a Mustang II rack:

See the "loop" at the bottom. I think thats what people are saying. As far as the bushings go, different bushings may be different width...I do not know what this would mean. Like I said, I looked at my car and it looks the same as the one I got sent to me. My car was scheduled for a build on 1/85 and I do not believe the rack was ever changed.

I have read that the fox rack can be used with the Mustang II but I'm not sure.

-Mike
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally somebody explained that even if I have the wrong bushings, all I would need is some newer bolts to make it work. Or move my old bushings over.

I looked at more refurbed racks on ebay and you're right, this one is the nicest. I have seen black and blue painted racks with various styles of connectors and some "short" racks. I think I really lucked out with this one. It looks 100% original Ford from the other pictures I have seen and is complete with tie rods and everything.

I asked the seller for a picture and he wouldn't take one out of the box to take one. He said I could return it if it wasn't right so I just got it. I'm so reckless Very Happy

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: