ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decoding an 86 Coupe VIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More.....

I forgot to address the Radar & the Speedometer....

All 1986s' got the Radar, EXCEPT for car that were being shipped to dealers IN such states where radar detectors were BANNED !!

All 1986 Full Packaged cars got the 140 MPH speedo, In 1985, it was a running change.

Regarding your window sticker. It's not possible to obtain the original, but I can give you exactly what was on it, below...
V
V
V

1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 Hatchback $ 11,037.00
Destination Charge $ 374.00
Manual Air Conditioning $ 762.00
Power Lock Group $ 182.00
Speed Control $ 176.00
(Credit) Standard Stereo Delete $ - 148.00

Total : $ 12,383.00

The ascMcLaren Pkg MSRLP at $ 4,212.00

Total was therefore $ 16,595.00

Plus whatever he paid for the Moonroof,
Usually in the $1,500 arena

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
jds3660

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, thanks for all the input all along. I have always loved the ASC coupes, but am finally researching them, and you have been a great help.

What are your opinions in regard to the missing radar detector and ASC 7272 radio? Does the fact that either of these pieces are missing throw a red flag up to you? I would assume probably not, as many things can be done to a car that is almost 20 years old! For it's age, it's remarkably preserved-I hope nobody gets to the car before I do (I live in MI, the car is in NY)!

I agree with your $12k assessment-If I bought a $5/$6k coupe that needed a full resto, I would probably have well more than $12k invested by the time the car was complete (plus the car wouldn't have original paint, etc., and oh, by the way, a full resto can be painful-can you put a price on that??!!).

How did you come about your vast ASC knowledge-have you always been a fan, or were you involved w/ASC, or did you sell these cars (your description lists that you were a salesman and writer)?

Do you have any of the original build sheets, window stickers, etc. for these cars? You seem to have alot of documentation in your stash.......
jds3660

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Plaque # Reply with quote

As I stated earlier, the plaque# is 31. You warned against a plaque # of 25-what was the story with that?
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car #25 was also Raven Black, with Anthracite wheels and Platinum Silver Stripes, Decals and logos. It's had at least 12 owners, none of which was over age 20, and has had the turkey stuffing beat outta it, has had several minor accidents, and I seem to recall one or two bigger ones. I don't believe that there is 1 OEM part on it Sad It's very tired.

Most of them, due to the nature of the beast, the audience they attracted, the age of the vehicle 18 or 19 years old, and the higher degree of aggressive no patience get the he// outta my way drivers in SUVs out there today, most have not fared well.
That car is nice. You will not find nicer! Stop Talking - Start buying (This is what went thru my head when I sold cars!) But then.....I could not say it. Some people began "looking" and shopping for a NEW car in October, and by April they were still "looking" - We called them "Professional Shoppers ! Most were involved in the academa world on college campus' or worked for pharmaceutical companies as engineers.

jds3660

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Differentiating between 86 # 31 and 25... Reply with quote

As I stated before, the 86 coupe I am looking at is S/N 31. Why would I be worried about # 25? Why the warning signs?

BTW-As a sad story, I recall seeing an 85/86 coupe in my neighborhood 1-2yrs ago, driven by a 16/17yr old punk-in the WINTER! The only reason I noticed the car was because he stopped by my house when I was selling a reasonably modified 86 GT w/ 41k miles!!!!!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:

The door panels themselves are correct, except that the lower part has been re-done. The carpet area only comes up from the bottom about 6" or so, ending certainily well below the power door lock switch.

The door panels either have been COMPLETELY redone from top to bottom or are vert door panels. The upper vinyl area does not have any embossing as the coupe/hatchback ones do. I think the vert ones do not have the embossing and of the one picture I have of grey vert panels, they look exactly the same.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Plaque # Reply with quote

jds3660 wrote:
As I stated earlier, the plaque# is 31. You warned against a plaque # of 25-what was the story with that?

I was answering this.

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back, and REALLY looked. What totally evaded me before, I now see, thanks Mike! I think that they are 1986 'Vert door panels in the Charcoal color, but the bottom carpet comes up to high.

Since my car ain't here, I can't recall. Do i have speakers in the door panels? Seem slike it, but maybe not!!?? I have to go see after the rain tomorrow and start it and let it run. I will examine my door panels and lewt you know.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, no you do not have speakers in your door panels. Rolling Eyes

You need to drive your car more often! Very Happy

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/Sandy/SandyBlock_86Coupe_04.jpg

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures of my car, Mike. Gosh, it was good to see it !! Laughing

Now that I can see my own door panel....Ummm. I'd say 1986 convertible door panel fromcar without Recaros, with recovered lower area in carpet. Or......might they be SVO door panels ??

Know what I'd do? ASK THE GUY SELLING IT. Let him know, that you know that they are wrong. I think he'll tell all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: