ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everyone, please read this !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Everyone, please read this !! Reply with quote

I have been contacted this date by the editor of Hemmings Motor News regarding their newest venture, the "Hemmings Muscle Machines" monthly magazine, regarding an upcoming feature devoted to the ascMcLaren. I have supplied the gentleman with some basic information, and have directed him towards this site, as well as Hanks. For the purpose of this feature article he is dealing with the Mercury Capri version, allthough he may find it difficult to stop at 1986.
His name is Mark McCourt and he & I have been exchanging e-mails today.
I have invited him to come & register & visit us at this site, and to toss out some questions to our members herein. I am not sure if his interests are in modifying them or restoring them to "Day-1" condition, or in both avenues. To my sadness, I think that there allready might be a car consigned for photography usage with the article, which by the way, I am not sure how comprehensive and complete he wants it to be.
Regardless, he will let me know if he'll be stopping by to talk with us, en masse, and I'll let you know in advance.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
jds3660

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Great!! Reply with quote

I frequently read that magazine, and was tempted to write in suggesting that they do an ASC article!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the opportunity to have an in-depth write-up in Hemmings about ascMcLarens far outweighs any photos of a not-so-perfect example. The real test will be in how well this guy writes the article and how accurate he gets. Hopefully it is already headed in the right direction since the guy has contacted Sandy.

I have not picked up a Hemmings in years but when my family had a subscription it was totally geared towards 100% stock or restored examples.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscle Machines is a good mag. I get every issue. They cover (as the name states) muscle machines from the 50's right up thru the "modern" stuff. Both modified and stock/restored.
This could potentially be a very good thing for our "kind" Very Happy
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

""of a not-so-perfect example""

I don't think that I conveyed that thought at all. I meant that I would liked to have mine in the article - but I think that the feature car is allready picked, but maybe there's room for a 2nd ???
Very Happy Smile Laughing Surprised Sad Crying or Very sad Shocked

Euro#13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

I also subscribe to Hemming Muscle Machines, it's a fairly new magazine that came out in October 2003. I have every issue so far and I must say, it is a very nicely done monthly publication and is one of the "keepers".
They generally tend to lean towards the stock side of things but many of their cars featured have some mild modifications but nothing too extreme and if it was modified, they will point it out. They seem to do their homework so I think that they if they do an article, it will probably be a good representation of our cars.

Their articles tend to rely on one photo car for the photo shoot with maybe another one as a side bar for information purposes.
They showcase the owner as well as the car, so they not only tell the story of the car itself, but also the story of the owner and a little background on why they chose the car, what they have had to do to it, etc.
Maybe the article that they are working on is still in it's infancy and you can convince them to use you & your car as their subject material. I would think that they would be very impressed once they knew about your car(s) and the fact that your's is most likely the only surviving example of a Coupe that it 99.99% all original.

I am only guessing here, but since the Coupes are lesser known out there than the convertibles, is it possible that the car that they already picked is a convertible? If so, I don't see why they couldn't use your car as the Coupe example. They have done a couple of article before that featured two cars and two owners.

Brent
EMartin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: How about a multi car photo op? Reply with quote

If the weather permitted, would be good to get pic's of a bunch of McLarens togethor.....

Paris Blue can be pulled out of the barn and pic's taken on the farm if needed. Celebrate

Formers-
86 White/Tan/Tan, auto w/Recaros
88 Black/Grey/Black, 5spd w/Recaros
EMartin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old White 86 5.0SC is also still local and the new owner now has a Black 86 as well! (5 minutes away). This is a great magazine and it would be cool to have a good write up covered on these cars.

Regards,

Eric

Formers-
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I have recieved e-mails & nice pictures of your old white Capri from the new ower as well as pics of his black one. His Black one is really really special. It has the "Dark Charcoal" interior (1986 only)! I believe only 17 such cars were made, and that color never made it onto the Mustangs of 1987-1990, although for 1990 they introduced "Ebony" a true Jet Black color.

I like the way you use the name I gave your car.
I was an idiot not to buy it, before i told you about it ~but crap, how many can I own? If I bought every one I've found in mint condition, (I kept track), I'd now own 23 and be divorced ! Sad

"" Paris Blue can be pulled out of the barn and pic's taken on the farm if needed ""

lightning95sc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

Since you said he would be stopping by for a "meet & greet", maybe we can get him here and convince Twisted Evil him to use your "stable" as representation.
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry he obviously isn't coming. The article is done and in the AM I am to receive a near-final copy to go over for correctness of facts. It's due THIS Friday. Time Deadlines is GOD!

PS/ Please, I've been sworn to keep the material secret, so please - ask me no questions. Buy the February issue.........

EMartin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Eric, I have recieved e-mails & nice pictures of your old white Capri from the new ower as well as pics of his black one. His Black one is really really special. It has the "Dark Charcoal" interior (1986 only)! I believe only 17 such cars were made, and that color never made it onto the Mustangs of 1987-1990, although for 1990 they introduced "Ebony" a true Jet Black color.

I like the way you use the name I gave your car.
I was an idiot not to buy it, before i told you about it ~but crap, how many can I own? If I bought every one I've found in mint condition, (I kept track), I'd now own 23 and be divorced ! Sad

"" Paris Blue can be pulled out of the barn and pic's taken on the farm if needed ""

Good one Sandy! I'd let Paris Blue go if I could replace her with an equally nice 5 speed in yellow....
BTW, I know the Black 86 as well. I spoke to the original owner years ago. I saw it driving it around the town where I grew up! It was the FIRST Mclaren I ever saw. I'll bet it probably came from the same dealer as the White 86.

My dad has a subscription to HMM- Looking forward to the Feb issue!

Formers-
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't help but notice in the photos of Paris Hilton..Oops Paris Blue some roof material shrinkage over the driver's side window. What happened? I don't recall seeing this at the show at Trebour Ford. Was it like that when you got it? I think an experienced top place might be able to fix. Have you looked into it?

EMartin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was like that when I got it. Top was down I think, at the show. Not aware of anyone local out here I trust yet. Suggestion?

Formers-
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.
I'd ask the owner of the white Capri you had. He seemed pretty knowledgeable when I spoke with him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: