ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can't log in
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
negusm wrote:

The red x's in the albums are not from your browser either. That is a server side problem. I have had to adjust some album settings recently and maybe the album thumbnails are not getting generated.-Mike

i do get this but i didnt think anything of it the pic still works if you click on it... just some times the thumb wont load

There are some pictures that were previously loaded at image sizes that are no longer allowed because the hoster decreased the memory on the server. So when I cleared the thumbnail cache, these bigger images throw an error when trying to create thumbnails and you get the red X.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
capriman86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just logged in using IE7

No issue here.

I normally run Firefox but figured I would try.
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting an "http 406 error" can't display content....

Mad
1988 ASC McLaren #688
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shelbyscarab wrote:
I'm still getting an "http 406 error" can't display content....

Mad

Well, that's more info for me to go on.

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E406.html

The above link details the 406 error.

IMHO, it sounds like a setting or something has changed in your browser. Basically a 406 is when your browser tells the web server that it's data is not acceptable to thr browser.

A couple of things to try:
1. Go to the Tools -> Internet Settings -> Advanced Tab and click on the "Reset ..." button. Close the browser and try again and report back.

2. Firefox. Try it and see if it works. If not then something really weird is happeing.

A couple of more questions: WHEN do you get the error? On the initial page or after you put in your username and password?

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!

I may (may as in nothing is ever guaranteed) found the problem.

It seems that an upgrade to a module for apache will cause this problem as it works like a firewall and is often very agressive. This means that sometimes on a post (like when you submit your login), it may get filtered and get the 406 error.

There was a chnage to a file I could make to turn this off and I did. Let me know if this fixes anyones problem. I do not know why it works for some and not for others though.

I still would like a very very detailed description as to what people are seeing.

-Mike
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! I got one person who was able to log in that could not before!

Try it! Try it Try it! I hope it works for everyone that was denied access!
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike! Genius! It worked.

I'm back up and running.

I'm a little concerned about our "so-called" computer guru though, why couldn't he figure that out. It was easy to fix.

Its been almost a month, haven't been on much. I was starting to have convulsions.....

Very Happy
1988 ASC McLaren #688
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shelbyscarab wrote:

I'm a little concerned about our "so-called" computer guru though, why couldn't he figure that out. It was easy to fix.

I think it was the server side fix that made it work. I don't think anything you did on your end fixed your issue.

The key to this is to ALWAYS give detailed information as to what you are seeing. Saying that "logins are not working" really does not help at all. The fact that you mentioned the 406 error and somebody else mentioned the 406 error too, got me onto the right track. LUCKILY there was a way to work around it for us.

I plan on emailing the hoster and outlining the issue and the workaround I found. I will ask if they can look into the problem on their end. The settings for this "mod_security" in apache need to be backed off slightly and maybe they can tweak things so I can allow this site to use that security module.

I'm not really holding my breathe since their responses to my inquiries are usually terse. I can't say as I don't blame them since I pay only $24/yr for the site to be hosted and they've been very very reliable. Any time I take from one of their techs cuts into their margin.

-Mike
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. I sent in a ticket about the issue (I was really reall nice about it). Here is the response:

Quote:
We already know. If you disable that security and your site ever causes a problem for the server, it and all of its files will immediately be deleted from the server and the account will be turned over to collection at the the rate of $1 per minute of downtime. You will have no chance to fix or backup your site.

Rolling Eyes

Sheesh. You definitely get no customer service at $24/yr. Very Happy

-Mike
tfs2121

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Haha. I sent in a ticket about the issue (I was really reall nice about it). Here is the response:
Quote:
We already know. If you disable that security and your site ever causes a problem for the server, it and all of its files will immediately be deleted from the server and the account will be turned over to collection at the the rate of $1 per minute of downtime. You will have no chance to fix or backup your site.

wow abit harsh dont you think?... IMMEDIATELY deleted!
fredzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it works Very Happy

Not being able to get into this site, was like having your favorite T.V. show cancelled..
The funny thing is when i first made this post.I did it from my daughters laptop. But,all the posts were old and i never could see my post after i submitted it.
mike I would get this: when trying to log on your signature thing on FEP

The resource cannot be displayed
The resource you are looking for cannot be opened by your browser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Back button to try another link.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 406 - Not acceptable
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it was the 406 problem.

-Mike
capriman86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh great.....Fred's back now

Good job Mike Rolling Eyes

Laughing
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
shelbyscarab wrote:

I think it was the server side fix that made it work. I don't think anything you did on your end fixed your issue.

-Mike

Well, in a span of literally 3-4 min. I tried what you said, and then I could get back in the site and log on. and right before I couldn't. So, I'm pretty sure that what you said to do was the reason.

Thanks again.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: