ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ Grill Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dahberg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: BBQ Grill Recommendations Reply with quote

OK, whom amongst you is the Master Chef??? Laughing

I am in the market for a new BBQ and have not a clue what to get. I want stainless steel and know enough to look for at least 304 stainless, but now they have added this infrared grilling feature to BBQ's! I am looking for a large cooking surface with even heat distribution and a minimum of 4 burners. The Costco model selling for $1395, but on sale in store here locally for 899 is very appealing. But I do not need the gas oven and I am concerned about the lower infrared unit for searing. Char-Broil places a piece of glass over the lower infrared unit to keep grease and food particals out of the heating unit. The unit definitely has to be Natural Gas compatible. I am not sure I want or need the lower infrared heat, but do want the rotiserie infrared unit mounted to the back side.

Anyone make an investment recently or have some good/bad experiences to share?

P.S.

Nice work Mike! Thanks for updating the site. It works great and zips along very nicely...
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents got me a nice stainless Charbroil grill a year or so ago. It said "100% stainless" on it.

Total BS.

The grilling surfaces were stainless and the outer surfaces were stainless but the black painted frame and cabinet under the grill is rusting.

If you want a really nice grill, make sure it is 100% stainless top to bottom.

Charbroil's customer service is fine. My grill had been smashed on the stainless cabinet doors (in the box) and they replaced them no questions asked.

A year later two of the large brass burners went "bad". There was a plug that rotted out on the back. Charbroil sent new ones which did not have the plug in it at all. Gave the old ones to my brother so he could melt them down!

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
dahberg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Mike. All these grill dealers swear by the brass burners being of a lifetime warrenty. Sorry to hear you had problems with yours, but glad to hear they were replaced (hopefully free of charge). Do you feel the heat distribution is better with brass than the stainless steal burner? I know the stainless steal burners only last a few years, but Costco guarentees lifetime replacement.

I have looked at some stainless steal BBQ units with painted framing. Thanks for the heads up on this deal!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, brass is better for heat distribution.

On the burners I had replaced, they were wicked heavy brass with lifetime warrenty.

The thing is, the way they cast them, they cast them with a hole in the back which they later welded a brass piece over that was no thicker than probably 1mm. That piece rotted out. The new burners are cast differently with no hole in the back. I expect them to last forever.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
eric5oh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Stainless steel Jenn-Air from Lowes. Natural gas with the rotisserie that you speak of. The rotisserie is nice for kabobs, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with charcoal. The taste is way better. Bling bling and convenience I guess.
bigzeke42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the charcoal.
dahberg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at the Jenn-Air at Lowes. It has been a toss up between this and the Kirkland at Costco. Neither have brass burners on the main grill, only on the side burner. Costco comes with the rotisserie as well as a cover. where these are an extra charge on the Jenn-Air. Storage space looks better on the Jenn-Air.

Another item I have been interested in which is missing from both of the above units is the wood chip smoker drawer. I have been using a cast iron wood chip smoker in my old unit and really enjoy the added flavor and aroma. I need to go back and look at the Char-Broil models to see if they had the wood chip drawer. I think these also had the brass main burners.

Thanks to all for the help. I am just too lazy to work with charcoal... Embarassed
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric5oh wrote:
I've got the Stainless steel Jenn-Air from Lowes. Natural gas with the rotisserie that you speak of. The rotisserie is nice for kabobs, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with charcoal. The taste is way better. Bling bling and convenience I guess.

I agree. If charcoal was as easy as the gas, I'd go with charcoal cause of the flavor. I just don't have the time for charcoal though.

-Mike
eric5oh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahberg wrote:
I have been looking at the Jenn-Air at Lowes. It has been a toss up between this and the Kirkland at Costco. Neither have brass burners on the main grill, only on the side burner. Costco comes with the rotisserie as well as a cover. where these are an extra charge on the Jenn-Air. Storage space looks better on the Jenn-Air.

Another item I have been interested in which is missing from both of the above units is the wood chip smoker drawer. I have been using a cast iron wood chip smoker in my old unit and really enjoy the added flavor and aroma. I need to go back and look at the Char-Broil models to see if they had the wood chip drawer. I think these also had the brass main burners.

Thanks to all for the help. I am just too lazy to work with charcoal... Embarassed

Well my Jenn-Air is 2 years old, but it has the 3 main brass burner bars as well as the one external burner which is also brass. Perfect for side dishes.
dahberg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well my Jenn-Air is 2 years old, but it has the 3 main brass burner bars as well as the one external burner which is also brass. Perfect for side dishes.

OK, so I went back up to Lowes to check out the Jenn-Air again. The new model they had on the floor has stainless steal burners, halogen lights and the side burner was infrared. They also had a last years floor model on sale out in front of the store and it has 4 cast brass burner bars with a brass side burner. Unfortunately, it has a dent in the door and surface scratches. Lowes still wants $900 for it. I am thinking of going up to talk to the manager to see if he might throw in the rotisserie, cover and regulator. Even though Kirkland gives a lifetime warrenty on the stainless steal burners, I have a desire to give the brass burners a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: