ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fog lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
85McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: fog lights Reply with quote

What model hella fog lights are on the 85 coupes? If they are not available any more, what brand and model with correct mounting is a pretty close substitute....????

Jason
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank has them. He told me he bought out Hella's remaining stock. He also bought out their remaining stock of amber ones which are the same shape and size...just amber.

The amber ones are cheaper and the clear ones are more expensive of course. If you don't mind the amber, they are $75 each. I bet with some creativeness you could make them "clear" again. It looks like just the refelctive area inside was colored and not the glass.

I can try and dig out my fog lights....they're around here somewhere...

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
85McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
How is the bracket for those fog lights different from the factory RS spoiler's mounting brackets? I remember on my 86 capri 5.0, it just mounts to the plate in the middle of the lower air dam, however that is obviously not the same on the 85 mclaren air dam. Are there brackets that mount (welded, etc.) to the top of the metal behind the bumper cover in order to mount the fog lights to..???? (Hope you understand the question - I know I am not too clear with tis one)....??? Since my 85 got hit pretty hard in the front, I have had to gather a list of things which I need to replace and now am wondering about the fog light brackets????

Jason
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. My car was missing the front air dam and foglight wiring when I got it. I have asked about the mounting of the fog lights and wiring and so forth and haven't been able to get any good answers.

I was told they just bolt to the air dam. Shrug

I test fit my fog lights to the air dam and it looks like I could make a small bracket to attach them.

If you're foglight wiring was still intact before the accident, I would like to get some pics of that if possible.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Tom S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
I have no idea. My car was missing the front air dam and foglight wiring when I got it. I have asked about the mounting of the fog lights and wiring and so forth and haven't been able to get any good answers.

I was told they just bolt to the air dam. Shrug

I test fit my fog lights to the air dam and it looks like I could make a small bracket to attach them.

If you're foglight wiring was still intact before the accident, I would like to get some pics of that if possible.

-Mike

They do just bolt to the airdam. On mine there were four bolt holes and they had 4 of those metal nut bracket things Ford uses that slide over the holes and then you thread the studs from the lights into them and adjust as needed. I don't have pics and the car is long gone.

'85 ASC Coupe #607910--sold and crushed RIP Crying or Very sad
'95 SVT Cobra--sold
'89 Oregon State Police SSP Mustang--sold
'86 LX 5.0 Coupe--sold
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those "bracket things" sound like "speed nuts".

I admit it looks like that's about what may be needed. The foglights have holes in the corners of the housings and they seemed to fit well flush up against the air dam.

Did Ford use the fog light bar to mount the fog light wiring? I don't think my car had it...but I don't know if it was tossed at one point either...

-Mike
Tom S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Those "bracket things" sound like "speed nuts".

I admit it looks like that's about what may be needed. The foglights have holes in the corners of the housings and they seemed to fit well flush up against the air dam.

Did Ford use the fog light bar to mount the fog light wiring? I don't think my car had it...but I don't know if it was tossed at one point either...

-Mike

They used the Ford wiring but I can't remember exactly where it ran. I'm pretty sure it hung down to reach the lights but I'm not sure.

'85 ASC Coupe #607910--sold and crushed RIP Crying or Very sad
'95 SVT Cobra--sold
'89 Oregon State Police SSP Mustang--sold
'86 LX 5.0 Coupe--sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: