ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I let them talk me into it------sucker?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark@ddi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: I let them talk me into it------sucker? Reply with quote

I had my car about 8 weeks and decided that I would dump the new/old oil out since before me it had not had many miles. Thought it would be wise to dump what might have shown up.

So I go to my Valvoline place and I explain to the guy what I am doing. Don't upsell me anything just change the oil. After talking to him about the periods where the car sits I let him talk me into Synthetic. I said no way because you can't change to synthetic on a 60,000 mile car, because it would cause leaks etc. HE SAID THAT WAS A MYTH, and that synthetic would be the best if I was willing to pay the price.

Since I had some new gaskets I went ahead and tried it.

Guess what.....I back the car out of the garage and there is an oil spot on the floor. Prior to the change it was bone dry.

I am going to back and switch back to the regular oil and hope the gaskets soak it up and it stops????

@$%^^^**^$!!!
rlyons13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a myth. However, synthetic will really clean up all the old dyno-oil deposits that may have gummed up potential leaks. So, if you switch back to conventional oil, you'd probably still have the leaks.

The solution is to replace the gaskets. Sounds like the rear main seal is leaking. You can try using the 96+ OHC Mustang, Ford part #F4AZ6701A. It has an extra lip that seems to prevent leaks a bit better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shop just switched to Valoline oils , I had talked with the Rep. about that same myth and that is also what he called it. But he also said if worried about it then use the Maxlife oil it's part synthetic but has stuff to help the seals to not leak. May be worth a try.

Did you find the leak? could be the drain plug gasket(s) or if you replaced the filter could also be running off the cradle.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=7
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlyons13 wrote:
old dyno-oil deposits that may have gummed up potential leaks.

The Technical Term is Beneficial Crud or "BC".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
86EuroCoupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car DID NOT leak a drop until I switched to synthetic oil. Will never use it on an older car again.
rlyons13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, do you like driving around with a good sludge buildup in your engine? What happens if/when you decide to go for a good 6 hour drive in the McLaren and one of those gummed up leaks gets so hot it just opens up and dumps 2.5 quarts of oil just as the local parts store closes in the neareast town, East Bumblef**k? OK, I realize I may come at this a lot differently than most, but the first thing I do when I buy a used car is dump all the oils and replace them with synthetic and see what happens. If in 4 weeks I have no leaks, I can sigh and realize that I am reducing wear a phenominal amount (I've pulled apart my race engines and transmissions and have had to double check to make sure I didn't tear down the spare, that's how much better synthetic is over conventional). But if I have a leak, well, I'd rather fix it now on my own terms than later on the leak's terms. My McLaren has done fairly well, only the valve cover gaskets leak a bit. When I pull apart the upper half of the engine next spring to do some detailing, I'll use the superior 93 Mustang valve cover gaskets to put an end to it.

The worst that happened to me doing this was to have to rebuild the auto tranny in the used 93 Mustang convertible I bought for my step-daughter. Amsoil synthetic ATF washed away every last bit of gum in 5 days, leaving a tranny that couldn't hold its oil.
mark@ddi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: I let them talk me into it Reply with quote

Saturday I switched to the Max Life and was able to go under the car to see where the leak was started........Rear Main!

How much is that going to cost?
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the seal is cheap under $20 bucks but the transmission has to come out.

Sorry to hear that it's the rear main, but not surprised.

Last edited by plumkrazy on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
rlyons13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my post above for the seal to use. I got that tip from a guy who used to set up CMC and AI/AIX cars in Northern CA. Have one on my CObra, and the first reason I have to pull the 5 speed out of the McLaren, I'll put one in there as well. Face it, all rear main seals on a windsor block will leak, but this one hangs in there longer than the others produced for the 5.0.
mark@ddi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: leak Reply with quote

I am really bugged by the rear main leak!

Yesterday I called a local Ford Dealer just to get a ballpark $. He said to hold a minute and he would talk to his engine guy. Came back on and said kinda timidly....I guess we could try it. I don't think so.

So I am in the local Target Store getting some stuff and I come accross this product by Golden Eagle. They make Heet, Sta-Bil and a No Leak product. Says that it stop leaks after 200 miles. STP product said 1000 miles.

Am I just kidding myself or should I try the No Leak. I bought the bottle and it also says that it is compatible with regular and synthetic oils.

My Grandfather was an "inventor" of sorts and had a few patents. One of his products in the old days was Radiator Stop Leak. Ground up Flax seed disguised with lampblack. Like putting Quaker Oats in your radiator. He had a few others like this one too.

This just bugs me. I have a flashlight and I go in the garage and get on my knees shine the light under the car and look for the shiny spots and to see if they are bigger than yesterday.

Desperate times make desperate men and thereby sometimes fools.
rlyons13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a new clutch? Or a steel bearing retainer? How 'bout a new, hi-po cat X-pipe? Make it a complete party and get the new rear seal and do something else positive at the same time.

Got an automatic? Hmmm...less reason to pull the tranny.

I say bite the bullet and do it the right way. The Lord only knows what will gum up if you use the stop leak product.

Any performance shop that has a lift and does clutches will be able to change the seal quickly. If you're close to central NJ, Crazy Horse in South Amboy is highly recommended.
mark@ddi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: leak Reply with quote

Automatic
86EuroCoupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop leak won't help. Trust me. Bite the bullet and get it taken care of. That is what I am going to do. Pull motor and auto trans and put fresh rebuilt motor with a five speed trans.
mark@ddi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: I let them talk me into it. Reply with quote

Well here is an update on the leaks. I am writing this as much for my own mental health as in telling the story.

After the leaks appeared from the switch to synthetic I went back to Valvoline and went with the max life. Then I bought the No-Leak product and added it to the oil. Said within 200 miles would stop the leaks.

While at Valvoline I asked if he could pin down the source of the leak and he said Rear Main and oh by the way the Front was starting to leak also.

After adding the No Leak, each night I would drive a bit trying to get to the 200 miles. After the motor would cool down I would go into the garage and place newspaper under the car to check the progress.

I had a great referral for a trusted local mechanic. I had called two Ford Dealers and did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about them.

Finally I called a place, Weaver's Auto Care Center and talked to the mechanic. Told him what I had done and got a really strong lecture about the No Leak additive and how I likely had ruined my motor.

I broke down and dropped the car off Saturday morning and went to the NASCAR races all weekend. On Monday the car went to the "doctor." They cleaned off the underside of the gunk. Ran the car and put it up on the hoist to track the leaks. Then they called me about 4:30pm yesterday.

LEAKING VALVE COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $56.55 total costs.

Now do you understand the AGONY and MENTAL ANGUISH that I have suffered with my baby and it's a freaking valve cover leak??

Is there a lesson here?? Always get a lot of opinions?? Does anyone really know? Did the No Leak kick in at 172 miles?

I just don't know anymore but I am sure feeling better and can use the $$$ I had put away to do something else.

There I feel better already.
rlyons13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve cover gasket?? Whew! Now, to put the willies back into you, did the use the newer composite/steel ring gaskets (stock gasket on the 93, I've retorqued them twice with no leaks), or an older style rubber or cork gasket? When I detail the engine on my Mclaren next spring, those are the valve cover gaskets going back on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: