ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shelby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Shelby Reply with quote

Shelby forms new owner’s club

Carroll Shelby may be in his mid-80s, but he is still trying to control everything associated with his name. He has created a new community for enthusiasts of the cars built by his companies.

Based in Dearborn, Michigan, “Team Shelby” is the only club officially recognized by the factory for all Shelby-built vehicles, including the 2006 and newer Shelby-based Mustangs. The club will officially launch on January 11, 2008, Shelby’s 85th birthday.

“People have asked me for years to form a club that will help them really enjoy their Shelby car,” said Carroll Shelby. “There’s a new generation of cars, new faces at Shelby and people who want to enjoy their vehicle in new ways. The world has changed over the past 42 years, so we need a club to meet the needs of this new generation.”

Unfortunately, this means the longstanding Shelby American Automobile Club will no longer be recognized by Shelby. The SAAC began in 1975, when the newest Shelbys, just five years old at the time, were still, in many cases, daily drivers. The club, based in Connecticut, has more than 5,000 members in this country and another 500 around the world. The club is dedicated to the preservation, care, history and enjoyment of the cars built by Shelby.

Rick Kopec, one of the operating directors for the SAAC, said, “Our lawyers have advised us not to comment about this matter because it is in litigation. The facts will all come out in due time.” Stay tuned.
- By George Mattar

Anyone else hear about this yet? I've already heard thru some car guys with actual shelbys, they're kinda P.O.'d....... I don't blame them. Shelby has gone off the deep end. SAAC has been around longer than this "team shelby" (that promotes the omni & weenie 80s charger variants.......LOL)

Rolling Eyes
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like the man. If I took a chance ticket & I won a new Shelby, I'd trade it in on something else.

He lost me when I found out that the charges his fans $25.00 for his autograph! No rock group ever did that, nor Hollywood personality. Shelby should THANK his admirers that buy his cars and seek his signature. At the auction I saw Dads handing over $25.00 to Shelby for their 11 year olds getting his autograph. Paul McCartney signed for free, but Shelby doesn't ?

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really too bad. He was a legend, but the way he has acted toward people that promote his cars is shocking. I've really lost alot of respect for him for this whole war on "using his name" crap. He's taken it way too far.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
n20capri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford is doing that crap too...they've sued a lot of companies that used Ford or Mustang in their names...

I wonder if they are up his a$$ to be the same way.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$
86 AscMcLaren Capri Coupe - #026 | 11.4@118 | 290/322
86 9L SVO
www.mikemartinelli.com
www.baldguydesigns.net

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, some of it has to be about IMAGE.
When you've achieved that kind of notabilty, prestiege, wealth and so forth, you have a responsabilty to "do the right thing" and to keep your public image squeeky clean....don't cha tink ? Laughing

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
03Mach1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelby is a legend. he does charge for the signatures but the proceeds go to the Carroll Shelby Children's Fund.
'88 ASC/McLaren #542 white/gray/black 20,000 miles trailer queen
'03 Mach 1 torch red 7,500 miles trailer queen-sold
'06 King Ranch F150 white over gold/saddle 34,000 miles-mustang hauler
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is cool... my dad will love this. he is in "the book" that came out back in the 70s and he has a huge box full of saac books that they use to send him in the mail every month.

shelby is not bad, my dad and I got to meet him at fords 100 years of racing. my dad was like a young kid waiting in line to see santa. he didnt charge us but this was like 5 years ago now atleast. my dad had shelbys book signed... its too bad he didnt bring a glove box door. i think his car is one of the last cars that doesn't have a signed glove box.

oh and what did my dad ask him when we were face to face... he asked if shelby ever came to the woodward dream cruise... he responded with a blank look and a huh whats that... must be a big car fan!
75coug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot stand Shelby.

Back in the old days, he sold the Cobra name to Ford and his involvement with Ford and the Cobra eventually played out. He had little to do with the name or Ford for years . . . until he figured that he needed to make some money from it. So he sued Ford.

His history is replete with shady business dealings, failures and litigation. This Team Shelby club is just the latest example. It is a shame, considering how much SAAC has done for him.

One not-so-funny thing about Shelby's protection of his name and his products' names is how little regard he has for others. For example, the Eleanor . . . .

http://www.mustangblog.com/index.php/2007/shelby-others-involved-in-lawsuit-about-eleanor-mustang-name/

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
ponydude

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that we saw him at Charlotte during the Mustang anniversary show and got in line for autographs. My oldest whent first, $25, a very close friend went next, $25, my youngest went last. Carroll looked at him and said something like "son, yours is free". Nuff said.
He is all about the kids.
'81 T-Top Coupe
2-'84 1/2 GT 350's 5.0 5speeds, 1 T-Top
'95 Mustang GTS
'83 Black Magic
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from his web page

Donation Pricing
$250 per car part
$150 per autograph*
*(merchandise, die-casts, photos, posters, etc.)
$15** for shipping and handling within US
International shipping rates apply and will be contacted before shipping.
**Additional charges will apply for special requests
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: