ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vert Radios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Vert Radios Reply with quote

In the "ascMcLaren Radios" topic I think there is an inaccuracy:

"All convertibles 1984-1990 came with the top of the line Ford stereo
with the Ford Premium Audio System. Am Fm Stereo ETR & Cassette. "

I went and searched some Yahoo posts and I find that several people, for 1985 at least, have the Kenwood or Alpine radios in their verts.

This popped up since somebody asked about this since they also have two verts with the Kenwood.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, they were hand built cars, by a small(ish) company. I don't doubt that some 1984-1985 CONVERTIBLES have had those stereo since they arrived at the dealer. However, I was going by the dealer spec sheets. I do know for an absolute, that ALL 1987-1990 cars came with the Ford Premium Am Fm Stereo/Cassette system.

According to the spec sheet (again) ~ the 1984 & 1985 Capri SC 5.0 2-Seat Roadsters came with the Ford Am Fm Stereo/Cassette & Prem audio system. The 1984,85 & 86 Coupes came with the Kenwood (1984/1985) and the 1986 with the Alpine 7272. The EuroCoupes came with a hole in the dash, and the FoMoCo instsalled "Radio Preperation Pkg." (Antenna, Wiring, speakers, etc, etc.) The GPIV came with the FoMoCo Am/Fm Prem Stereo & cassette.

So sayeth the holy grail spec sheet....... Laughing

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a note in that document....

When I was asked about it, I searched the entire Yahoo newsgroup and even some emails from people about it and not one had the premium...those having a "period" 20 year old radio had the alpine or kenwood. (not that I have seen nearly as many cars as you but it seemed strange)

I think jdawg had the most convincing story as his dad bought the car new and it had the Alpine.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
mandra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my convertibles 85's came with Kenwoods. I have what is not quite prima facia evidence that the 5 speed came with it from the dealer at least. It was replaced under warranty in 86. I will post the Kenwood warranty booklets/owner manuals that came with the car if anyone is interested. I also have the Recaro Mounting and Operating instructions manual if anyone is interested in that.
85blackvert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Vert Radios Reply with quote

I also can confirm that my '85 vert came from the dealer w/ an Alpine. I put in a new Alpine, but still have the old one. BTW, I don't think my car had a 7272 though. I'm pretty sure it was a bit different than the 7272. If anyones interested, I will pull it out and check the #s.

Cass
'85 McLaren Convertible #58
'02 Dodge Ram 5.9L
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ALL '90's came with FoMoCo radios. Mine, purchased NEW, by ME, came with a kenwood cass. w/ kenwood speakers in the rear only; the door speakers were ford premium. The kenwood also came w/ an amp, placed below the tub where the rear seat used to be..... pretty basic by today's standards, but better than stock in '90.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting. I have lots of questions now...

Bill, what model Kenwood is it? Got any pictures?

Did you get any documentation for it with your car? What number is your car? Did you or the dealer order the car?

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If correct, Bill's is the only known 1990 to have such. the vin begins 132 and the first is 132854 and the last is 132918 (= 65 units). Which is yours, Bill ? I have the original dealer order forms and on there...there is no provision to order any stereo. The options were:-
Illuminated Remote Control Keyless Entry at $354.00 and (or) the Whistler Spectrum-II Superhetrodyne Integral Remote Radar Detector at $238.00. (These both from FoMoCo). The sole Factory Option was the Automatic Transmission at $575.00. Other than that, the only other decessions the ordering person at the dealer level had to make was paint, interior & roof colors...
I also know that in 1990 (actually early as 1989) I was trying to purchase any remaining stock of Alpine stereos from ASC, and was told that "we haven't had any of those around since 1986/87. I had then checked with their corporate owned parts department, only to be told the same message.
On the dealer information sheet for 1987-1990 it clearly states all of the standard features the car would come with. Among them it says, "Ford Premium Am Fm Stereo with Premium Sound System & Cassette Player".
What can I say.....Sometimes it even rains in the desert. I have no definative answer.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not remember the model off hand, not an Alpine but a Kenwood. I actually got a replacement from ASC in late '90, so at least then the Kenwood was availiable. I figured that was part of the upgrade package to make the car look like it was worth the bucks. BTW, I ordered the car, but there were no radio options, pretty much colors & tranny.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the car?

If not, do you have an old photo?

What color was it?

-Mike
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the car.. The radio is in a box in the nether regions of my shop; long ago replaced by a remote cd system. The "factory" amp is still in use..not much of an amp, but I think the wiring harness to the ford amp that went into the dash speaker hole was the reason to change, or maybe it has a bit more power; at any rate, acoustics are not the strong point of this car, so I left it alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: