ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who wins this car show?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
"" Trailer Queens and new cars purchased by lazy rich people who want to buy their trophy. ""

If you had me in mind....

Nah, that wasn't what I meant. I was talking more about the show in general. I have nothing against Trailer Queens and new cars. What bugs me are the shows where there isn't a car worth less than $50k. There is very little discussion, no real interest. Everyone can appreciate the nice cars. The all look and file by and maybe point once and a while. But no one has any kind of common ground to make things interesting.

You know you're at a good show when you hear the kind of comments like: "My Grandma used to drive that car. Back in the day, that car was THE car to drive! I remember riding in one of these! I haven't seen one of these in a coon's age!".

As for new cars, I don't mind seeing a few of them at shows too but they should be EXCLUDED from any kind of judging for a trophy. Or if they get a trophy, it should be mailed to the car manufacturer. Your cars are worth trophies because of the dedication and TIME you've put into them to keep them so perfectly preserved. If this was 1991 and you drove your 1990 asc to a show to win a trophy I'd find it tacky...but this is 17 years later...a whole other story.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n20capri wrote:

About the AMC's - I guess what I meant to say was along with their bad paint and ratty interiors, they were just dirty and un-kept. They should have at least cleaned and vacuumed them...I say the same thing about that 09 Shelby...the car was dirty and that annoys me. At least clean the car if your going to enter it into a car show.

Also regarding the ratty AMC's, I can appreciate a rare car...obviously I have one, but just because it's rare doesn't mean it should win over a car in the same class that's nicer.

I can agree with that.

But you'll learn soon enough that car shows are simply just fickle. It really is a truly waste of time to TRY and win a trophy. Best to just feel good you have the best looking car in your row.

When we held our little local car show in Ames, NY for the VFD, it was amatuer hour. You should have heard all the whining and complaining from the owners.

We had 5 judges and none of them knew what was stock on a car or wasn't. Each one may know one particular model better than the rest. But boy some people just got PISSED that their car lost. I mean you take 2 spotless 1968 Corvettes and who fricken knows that the upholstery on one is original while the other is a replacement?

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trophies make 5,10, 15 folks happy, and another 60 with undes tied in a knot!! Wrinkled feathers abound. I go for the friendships, both new & old. I converse with a certain Allante owner who is in his 80s and guys with blown 'Stangs jacked up in the rear, who are 19, as well a 1970 Dodge Polara Station Wagon owner. Age is only a number. I don't care about race or religion, we all have 1 thing in common....love of cars. I show my cars with enthusiasm and if the viewer doesn't like it....it's ok. I hope he/she does, buit if not, I do not hate or curse him. When feelings get hurt, anger erupts, or curses are directed, then it's time to find a differnt show.

Sadly they are all over here, in NJ. Starts again in May '09. Mine are all newly serviced, and tucked away. 2 are in heated garages, 3 are not.
2 have to live out in the driveway all winter. Sad

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say rarity should play some kind of factor.......

Take the early to mid '70s Nova for instance. GM must've made MILLIONS of those because they were all over the road everywhere for 20 years. Now imagine yourself at a car show with a plain jane 6 cyl. nova with no options - and it wins over your ASC. Rolling Eyes Granted, I agree that a car at a show should be clean inside and out (and most are), but I think its ridiculous that it should come down to "who cleans their car" the best. When a judge finds a piece of lint under the passenger seat and takes points off for that.............never mind the fact that the two cars he's looking at, one is 1 of 10,000 and the other is 1 of 10

It doesn't matter to me anymore. I know I have a great car and just enjoy going to cruises and shows with and meeting other ASC owners just to talk about our cars. And the few trophies that I have from years ago - Sandy's absolutely right, those trophies are just dust collectors. Wink
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: