ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GP4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: GP4 Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5366&item=2488444751&rd=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
tfs2121

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill go look at this car if anyone wants me to i kinda want to see it myself...
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This car has been listed on ebay 3 times or so. The first time the lady sent me a picture in AOL format. I converted it to JPG, sent her a copy and host it on my site (see the URL in the ad Smile ).

It would be nice to see some more pictures. It would also help sell the car I'm sure as it looks like its in good shape but there is no real way to tell.

It would also be a great to see some up close and detailed pictures of a rare car like that.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Euro#13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the starting bid was $12k and buy-it-now price was $15k Shocked

It would have to be as nice Sandy's Coupe for me to even be interested in it at that price.
Yes these cars are rare, but the unfortunate reality is that the current market is not very kind to them even when they are in excellent condition.
To be asking as much as, or possibly more than what that car sold for when it was new is just not a realistic goal. At least not at this time.

Maybe this was one of those I'll put it on Ebay and see if someone will pay me this much for it type of auctions. Wink

Brent
Former owner of EuroCoupe #13
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5-speed; 1 of 7,860
1971 Ford Ranchero; 1 of 2,595
Hi-Jumper mid-engine sandrail w/2.3 turbo
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has spent 25+ years in the automobile business, there are (as always) 2 sides to everything. You did a very respectible job of explaining your side, and I hope that I can do as well preseting the other side ~

Yes, the car "new" was around the $15,000 figure. However, as we know this is a vastly unusual and rare car. The "average" American would laugh at the price, mostly out of ignorance to what the car was "IN ITS TIME" ~ of the 1985 time-frame. Of course, its NOT for the "average American" ~ a 2001 Toyota Camry is for him and a Ford Explorer or GMC Envoy is for "her".

This is a car for a "car-person" who likes (any combination of):
Fords
Mercurys
Rare Cars
Special Editions or Limited Editions
The above with very low miles and/or showroom condition.

That said, AT RETAIL LEVEL, the car in question herein, is worth the price, PROVIDING it's flawless mint original showroom condition, or very, very near that.

The buyer has a choice. Keep it as "Garage Furniture" ~ possibly taking it to 1 or 2 VERY local car shaows per year, and therefore maintaining it's purchase price value....

********** OR *********

Using the thing, and in that case it will drop lie a rock in value, as it's almost impossible NOT to get stone chips, door dings and what not happening to it.

To buy it for $14,500 to $15,000 and keep it as a toy, you will not get hurt. To use it as it was intended, you will.....BIG TIME.

There are one heck of alot of BIG money collector's out there. THAT is WHO this seller is looking for! '57 Bel Air Converts, with Fact. A/C were pulling down $145,000 at Scottsdale Auction, last February. Remember that.

PS/ Thanks for the compliment Re: My Coupe. BTW, I was offered $20,000 for it last year at a local show by a Mercury collector. I thought about it for 11 seconds >> Rolling Eyes

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
85GPIV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is right up my alley... Lurk

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this Sandy. Cars like ours require special buyers. I've seen evidence of this, like you, at many auctions.

I saw this car when it first came up on E-bay when I was looking for a GPIV a few months back. It is a very nice example. I was going back and forth for a while between this one and the one I ended up buying. I ended up buying mine because it's a fixer-upper. And I picked it mainly because I love restoring cars and I think a big part of the pride that comes from the ownership of a car like this is "rescueing" and personally restoring it. But, had my car not come up, I would not have had a problem paying $13,000 to $15,000 for this car. It's just about as nice as these cars get. I hope to get my car to compare to this one someday. And I hope this car ends up with someone who will take of it.
2006 Yamaha YZFR1. 400lbs ~ 180HP!
~ Scott
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

I am having serius trouble with my computer & am awaiting HELP, arriving Wednesday around 7PM. Until then I can only get on the internet about once a day (MAYBE Laughing ) ~ that said, I just made it on!! Razz

I too agree with you, but wish to point out that there are 3 class's of people that CANNOT have the luxury to buy a fixer/upper. One, they are too busy with work & other committments, two, they are older and it's much more difficult, once you pass 50 and three, they lack the mechanical ability/knowledge and lastly they have the add'l. $$$ to be able to pay more, for a near ready or all finished example. This car herein, is for them.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
85GPIV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... Good Job

I didn't mean to say that the best way to buy one of these cars is as a fixer-upper. Sorry if that's how I came off. I was just stating that this is the way I prefer to do it. I agree that not everyone can restore cars, and this car is definitely for them.

I could have gone either way when I finally decided to buy a GPIV. I would have been willing to pay top dollar for a pristine car, or bottom dollar for a fixer-upper. I talked myself into the fixer, since that's a part of the fun for me.
2006 Yamaha YZFR1. 400lbs ~ 180HP!
~ Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: