ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info on This ASC McLaren Mustang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mustanglover415

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Need info on This ASC McLaren Mustang Reply with quote

1FABP40E5JF266206

hey all so ive read on yahoo answers if i can have someone off a car dedicated forums for a specific car someone off of here can help me to find out the history of the car. I am hoping to win a asc mustang off of ebay for a cheap price since i want to do a few mods to it instead of buying a one just to only restore to factory condition for a couple more thousand dollars.

the car is
Jet Black
Tan interior

as far as i know thats all i can see in pics i dont know the factory production # i only see that the car is salvaged due to it being abandoned in the past the car also has 140xxx miles pretty high for a collectors item/car but im not too worried since im looking forward to rebuilding the engine. Not sure of what color the top was since it isnt there anymore i have contacted the owner and he has told me as much info as he can but the info he has given me is not enough. I want to know all the original info so i can gather up all the money i need to restore the car and to contact the ascmclaren.com website to stamp the badge with the number of the car for me.

I just want to know what really happened to the car What color the top was and what kind of tranny it originally had. Ive tried to get as much info through various vin check websites all i got was;

1988 LX
Convertible
8 cylinder
5-speed
2 records

And the current owner states that the car as

Title: 1988 Ford Mustang ASC MCLAREN

Mileage: 140,402 miles

Vehicle title: Salvage

Condition: Used

Body type: Convertible Engine: 8 Cylinder Exterior color: Black

Transmission: Automatic Fuel type: Gasoline Interior color: Tan

seems odd that a vin check website would say its a 5-speed when its currently an automatic maybe its the websites mistake? please let me know thanks in advance!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=140329377799#ht_882wt_1197
85McLaren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As what is mentioned in many mclaren finds - add up the prices first. I didn't look at all the pics, but depending on if you really want to restore the car - you are looking a a lot of money. Wheels, tonneau cover, top, taking care of rust, recaro seats are 'shot', etc. If you can get it as the price stands now or just A LITTLE higher, might not be bad, but as usual with these cars, the price of parts plus labor for body work will add up more to one that is probably already not abused....

Just my 2 cents....

Jason

(Now - for a daily driver that you might not restore correctly right now - then yes it is fine.)
mustanglover415

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the car will be used as an everyday car that is why im looking to mod it and rebuild engine not worried about labor i can take care of it my self. as for the recaro seats i will get them re-upholstered maybe even to another color. may not be original but im not worried at all in my eyes for it having a salvaged title ill be treating it as a convertible gt mustang, you know like that nice ride for the summer?
85McLaren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you might be OK with that.

Other members on here might know this better than me, but as for the wheels, Hank use to only take trades as he restores your older rims. Depends on if he has alot of them and in no fear of running out and how bad he wants the money for them. Some Enkei and ARE's are pretty damn close that no one would really know the difference anyway (besidea a dead-hard mclaren owner). I can tell you that as far as a car show goes, I haven't met one damn judge that really know the fine details about these cars anyway.

Even the documentation is screwed up. An 85 brochure states the car has an Alpine radio in them, but came with the kenwood 2001. Even the picture of the 85 brochure shows an alpine, but it is NOT the Alpine 7272 model that later came in the 86's. The 85 order form quotes a modified brake system - yet the 86 order form does not. I know some of the reasons for this as some has been discussed on this board MANY times, but you get my 'drift'. Basically - it doesn't matter a whole lot what you do (as long as you don't get too crazy with them). Again - just my .02 cents....

Otherwise - as you pointed out, if you just want something to ride in as a convertable, it should be fine.... I, for one, can do all mechanical (engine) work, but don't know too much about rust and body repair...

Jason
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was originally an Automatic Tranny car.

Do you want my opinion ?

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIn check sites don't know the correct transmission because the transmission code is not in the vin....and the vin is all they go by.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh. sad.

Hope it gets saved.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
mustanglover415

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for clarifying the transmission

as for mods im not going crazy with them neither am i trying to make it look like rice or a "whip" with big 20 inch chrome rims this is my plans for mods

under the hood

-f cam
-cherry bomb exhaust
-x pipe
-bbk shorty heads
-cold air intake k&n
-koni yellow adjustable shocks
-complete engine and tranny rebuild
(later in the future turbo or supercharged)

for visual

-interior will remain the same just a couple of color adjustments (re-upholstered from front to back two tone tan/black interior)
-black top
-black Tonneau Appliqué
-set of asc wheels
-set of saleen or cobras
-lightly smoked clear headlights
-lightly smoked hella fog lamps
-new jet black paint job
-chrome turn down exhaust tips
-new rear bimper valance
-new asc wing
-new asc brake light covers

for after market parts ill be bargaining on craigslist for the original parts ascmclaren.com is my main choice unless ebay has them for sale

i have calculated how much i will be needing to spend it may be from 5-6000 dollars it will be done by the end of the summer if not a couple months after like ive said in my eyes if the title is salvaged i might aswell mod it
85McLaren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do a cherry bomb exhaust. Get a standard dynomax, flowmaster, mac, etc. I have never thought a 60's cherry bomb sound on a 5.0 goes well.... If you are doing a cam - be sure to use an explorer intake (the same 5.0 plate will directly swap on the top) or do another kind of intake rather than the factory - it needs to breath better. I think you might be better with another type of cam. The F-cam is going to want a mass-air conversion kit. Your 88 is speed density. There are good idle-friendly cams out their for speed density, but the F-cam is far from it. It will make the car run (idle) like crap unless you swap over to the mass air system.

Just more of my useless info.... Wink

Jason
Rainmanoly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85Mclaren is right on. I am the new guy, but.....
This site has some useful info.
http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/engines/50.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: