ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C-A-R-S Program suspended! Sandy you missed out!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKJ wrote:
Sandy the reasons all the returning boats are empty is because we don't design products for any of those markets! It's our own fault. China doesn't need a 70k escalade, they need a 6k fiesta. Since our cost issues haven't been fixed there is no chance for us to even compete over there . This isn't a government problem, it's a lack of comprtitiveness problem.

A $6k fiest is a luxery car's price over there. Drop the price by half and you might sell a few.

Bottom line, you cannot sell to China...yet. There are American companies working on markets there but its like making $.01 for every sale. Its excruciating.

As China grows, and their middle class strengthens, the cost imbalance will eventually even out. That is if they would unhinge their currency from being so artificially low.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not really thinking caras/trucks. More aeound household, i.e. bedding, and household furnishings, dinnerware, furniture, linens, etc. Cookware, clothing, accessories thereof, products from glass, those kind of products.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKJ wrote:
Many may take this the wrong way, but unions and pensions need to go away. As a consumer that isn't my problem to deal with. In my industry (Semiconductors - or computer chips for the layperson) pensions were taken away from all of us nearly 5 years ago. Those days are long gone, and I know that may be something many of you older guys may not be able to wrap your hands around..

I also didn't sign any contract with a union stating I'm willing to pay a premium price for US car companies products so someone bolting a seat onto a frame all year long can make 100k per year. Hell there is no reason on god's green earth people should earn that much money for working on a line. I grew up in Michigan about an hour north of Detroit and most of the well off people in my city worked on the line at a factory in detroit. No degree, no education, but used to making large $$$ thanks to union negotiated contracts while GM and Ford were flush with cash.

It's an open marketplace, they clearly need to fix there problems. Most other industries NO LONGER offer pensions, they need to get with the program and update their policies to compete, not this bs bullying where people try to make me feel "un-american" for trying to get a fair price for a car. The rest of the industries in the US all compete on a equal playing field, why the heck should the US automotive industry be treated difference with respect to tarrifs?

And btw, My company makes most of the electronics for GM and Ford cars so we are really hurting right now with their struggles as well.

Co-signed...... excellent post.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
ckj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
I was not really thinking caras/trucks. More aeound household, i.e. bedding, and household furnishings, dinnerware, furniture, linens, etc. Cookware, clothing, accessories thereof, products from glass, those kind of products.

That sounds great and all, but American's don't even buy these types of products that are made in America when available over stuff from China.

Let me give you all an example: For those of you that have a cell phone, I'm guessing the majority of them are not Motorola (the sole remaining US cell phone company) - maybe 10-20% of you have a Motorola phone. More likely your cell phone is made by Samsung, Nokia, LG, Sony, Ericson, blackberry, etc. All non US companies. How could you support those foreign companies while good hard working Americans that work at Motorola are losing their jobs? Well guess what, when you go into the ATT store, walmart or best buy to buy a phone, you buy one based on looks, specs, and cost - not where it was made. Same thing with appliances, tvs, stereo's, etc. And the same thing with cars... Detroit needs to get used to this.
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not I

Motorola phone, RCA T.V. Westinghouse 'Fridge,
Japanese Clock Radio, Could not find an American one,
G.E. Toaster and Gas Range, Air Temp Air Conditoner from Chrysler,
2 Ammana A/C room units, 1 Westinghouse unit, and 2 G.E.
1 Cadillac 60 Special 1 Lincoln Town Car; 3 McLarens and 1 Jeep Cherokee LTD. New Balance sneakers made in USA,

I am sure there are a few "foreign items" in here, but we try to make it as little as possible.

tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motorolas phones are crap. I hate them. I will never have another motorola phone.

amaricans still make good cars. just no one wants them because they heard the jap car was better. I have a camry thats running a fully rebuilt motor (by me machining and all) and a fully rebuilt trans (not by me). it has 188K on it. im sure a taurus with high miles like that would be on its 2nd motor and trans too. I guess what im trying to say is usa or not. its all crap.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
im sure a taurus with high miles like that would be on its 2nd motor and trans too.

YOU take that back!!! My taurus has 178K and still going strong. Factory motor and trans.

Sorry to hear that your Jap motor and trans had to be replaced Razz shoulda bought a taurus LOL
tfs2121

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Kattee's sable has about 140k on it. i think its about ready for a trans. im going to change the filter and do another flush and see if it helps but it slips every now and then.
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My F250 has 175,000 and the contour has 165,000, both run great. Helps to take care of them.

As far as other products go. Its damn hard to buy American when you try. My family used to buy nothing but Zenith and RCA TVs, thats pretty hard to do now. Its hard to beat a Sony in that arena. Its too bad, but what are ya gonna do???

Phones? I had a couple different motorola flips back in the 90's and were average I guess, seems like every body and their brother had those, but now??? where the hell are they? again, hard to beat some of those other brands.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....to tell the truth, I no longer have a cell phone. I abused the Motorla and rang up unGODly bills with it and was overall, a bad boy. It took me a year to pay it all off. Then one day, I thought, "I lived 50 years without this...." so, today I'm Cell Phone-Free. Which equals NO BILL.
I have 2 numbers here at home, one listed & one UNlisted. The listed one has a recording if I am busy or not at home. Works for me. Mr. Green

shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone catch the AP story in the papers about some of the high end cars that were turned in?

Some were corvettes (supposedly a few ZO6), a Buick Grand National GNX, rolls royce, jags.......

I've heard that there were quite a few collector cars that were scrapped by their owners. And the dealers had to pour that liquid engine destroyer down them. What a shame.

Sad
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: