ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remote key Fob Available on '87 McLaren??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87ASCMcSteve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Remote key Fob Available on '87 McLaren?? Reply with quote

Was a remote key fob available on the '87 McLaren? If so, are there any available anywhere?
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I don't think there were any cars with remote keys back then. Maybe the town car.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Kentennis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Remote key Reply with quote

What do you mean by remote key? My 86 has a key fob that locks and unlocks the doors, sets the alarms (Yup. plural) and will open the trunk remotely also.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Remote key Reply with quote

Kentennis wrote:
What do you mean by remote key? My 86 has a key fob that locks and unlocks the doors, sets the alarms (Yup. plural) and will open the trunk remotely also.

I am pretty sure that would be an aftermarket system.

I was talking about factory. Although knowing my luck, leave it to Sandy to tell me there was some special key fob option back then.

There are indeed plenty of aftermarket remote entry systems. Ford even made an add-on system that the dealer could install in the early 90's.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an OPTION on ascMcLarens, for 1987-1990 Mustang McLarens. It was installed at & by McLaren. The MSRLP was $353.00 and it included the key fob that locked & UNlocked the doors and popped open the trunk.
The key fob has a mylar printed facing with ascMcLaren AND the Ford oval on it. My Silver Anniversary car has the same, but that car has an installed alarm (I cannot stomach the thing) and the alarm can be set or UNset (is there such a word?) with the key fob thingee. The alarm was also a ascMclaren install.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there you go. I stand sorely corrected.

I guess I just don't know enough about the later verts. I'll defer to Sandy next time.

For some reason, I couldn't think of when I saw a key fob talked about here so I jumped the gun and gave bad info.

-Mike
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford had this as a Ford aftermarket accessory also my sons 85 turbo coupe has it and it has Ford logo on the remotes to give you that Ford feel. Keep a search i bet a nos system will turn up on ebay
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I cannot stand with the one on the Silver Anniversary car is that you cannot remote key fob LOCK the doors withOUT the system automatically setting the alarm!! Now then, the alarmed alarm pulls juice from the battery. WHY? I do not know, but it has a tiny little red lite on the dash that blinks on & off constantly, when set. After a week, the battery goes dead !! SOoooo, Sandy thinks he'll outsmart it. I click the interior door lock button to lock the doors and I exit the car in the garage.
Now, the alarm is NOT set, as I did NOT use the remote. Right ?

W R O N G

10 days later - it's DEAD !??! I look. the tiny red light is flashing ! Why ?
How did it know I locked the doors NOT using the remote?
I dig out the owner's manual from ascMcLaren .... @#$@## it says! "If you lock the doors with the power door locks, rather than the remote control key fob, if no door is opened after 120 minutes, the car will self-alarm itself ! GREAT ! Dead Battery, again.
There is no way to beat the system.
Maybe........ manually pushing down the two interior door buttons, will fool it.
Anyhow, now for winter, I pull the battery cable off. She's covered in quilted blankets, under her car cover.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should never lock a convertible. It's not worth the $500 deductable to secure the $10 in change that can be had by slitting the top with a knife.

Last edited by negusm on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that. But, remember she is NEVER left alone. She goes for "rides" ~ but she does not park. Okay, once or twice I ran in on a Sunday AM for bagels at Bagel-Man but I kept a watchful eye on her.
See, my coupe knows how to fight back, but the 'verts are kinda siissy-fied a bit, and terribly spoiled, so they need be watched.

Laughing

Kentennis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Remote Reply with quote

Funny. Mine doesn't appear to set when it's locked with the key and I have no flashing light. There is a small light appearing thing on the dash but Hank had no idea what it is. Doesn't blink - ever. And if I lock it with the power lock and not the remote the alarm doen't go off, even a week later. I only have 1 remote and the mfr cannot send me one without the serial number on the back of it. It is a paper strip and has never been on there since I've had the car.

But the battery does go dead after 3 weeks. The previous owner installed marine type battery cable ends so I could unscrew one and disconnect the battery. The cable ends have jumper cable marks on them, so evidently it was a problem before! But that makes the radio lose the presets. And both clocks cease to function.

My Austin-Healey 3000 had a switch concealed in the trunk which disconnected the battery. It went bad once, actually one of the wires came loose, and the damn lights would blink on and off. Until I found out about the switch and tightened it!
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do not lock the doors (this being in the garage) and just get out and shut the door, leaving alarm not set & doors unlocked, I do not get a dead battery. It's the continous tiny diode-type lite blinkng that takes down the battery after like 2 & 1/2 to 3 weeks. But, now it's battery cable is off, for the winter. She & our Jeep will share the garage over the winter. The rest of the cars will be in that car-condo. It's not far away, at 4 miles. I will stop by weekly and reassure them that spring will arrive. Bang Head

rod442

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
You should never lock a convertible. It's not worth the $500 deductable to secure the $10 in change that can be had by slitting the top with a knife.

Thats assuming you have a 500 deductable. (mines 100, the $ difference was almost negligable).

I see it as, I lock the doors to keep honest people honest and wont just grab what they can, cause I left it unlocked.

AND for the fool that cuts the top, I get a new one for 100 bucks. I win!
2000 Formula m6 INCONTT
1988 Mustang LX 5LTRLX
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, THE problem is that I have found 95% of the people who replace the top, will buy aftermarket. The aftermarket tops ALWAYS have THE wrong sew pattern, and I can spot them immediately. Hank in Florida has the REAL DEAL, 100% original "left-over" tops in every color.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod442 wrote:
negusm wrote:

Thats assuming you have a 500 deductable. (mines 100, the $ difference was almost negligable).

I see it as, I lock the doors to keep honest people honest and wont just grab what they can, cause I left it unlocked.

AND for the fool that cuts the top, I get a new one for 100 bucks. I win!

You don't win. Not even close. The insurance company ALWAYS wins. You're wasting far more money with a $100 deductable. You need to bump it to $500.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: