ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grundy Insurance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shelbyscarab wrote:
Ok, I've been hearing about hagerty and grundy for years......

Am I missing anything with not using them for my "fun" cars?

I've been with my auto insurance company for over 20 years now, they've always been good to me with the few minor issues I've had thru the years. The McLaren is set up based on an agreed on, dollar amount, and I could raise or lower it if I wanted (I'm sure they'd have an upper limit).

If you total your asc, you will get BOOK VALUE for it from a standard insurance company.

This is BS as we all know book value on asc cars is far too low. You can't replace a restored or like new example for $5k.

Grundy and others give you AGREED TO value. You say your car is worth $20k to replace and if they agree, that is what you get if your car is wrecked.

I know people with $20k+ on just normal Capris because of the $8k paint job and $7k in mods.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
bryan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grundy seems like a great deal. However, in reading the policy quote they gave me a while back, it wasn't flexible enough for my driving habits. For example, I couldn't drive the car "shopping," and running up to Home Depot or the grocery store is a common summertime outing. I just park it well out of the way of shopping carts, etc. Also, on a nice day I might even drive her to work, and that didn't appear to be covered.

Perhaps there's a more expensive policy that would cover these occasional trips?
'87 Guards Red ascMcLaren (#398)
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
shelbyscarab wrote:
Ok, I've been hearing about hagerty and grundy for years......

Am I missing anything with not using them for my "fun" cars?

I've been with my auto insurance company for over 20 years now, they've always been good to me with the few minor issues I've had thru the years. The McLaren is set up based on an agreed on, dollar amount, and I could raise or lower it if I wanted (I'm sure they'd have an upper limit).

If you total your asc, you will get BOOK VALUE for it from a standard insurance company.

This is BS as we all know book value on asc cars is far too low. You can't replace a restored or like new example for $5k.

Grundy and others give you AGREED TO value. You say your car is worth $20k to replace and if they agree, that is what you get if your car is wrecked.

I know people with $20k+ on just normal Capris because of the $8k paint job and $7k in mods.

-Mike

I have my policy set up with my insurance co. with an agreed upon value (set by me). And its an everyday auto insurance co. no driving restrictions whatsoever. I've had seasons that I'd drive it 500 miles or less and some 4,000 +.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shelbyscarab wrote:
I have my policy set up with my insurance co. with an agreed upon value (set by me). And its an everyday auto insurance co. no driving restrictions whatsoever. I've had seasons that I'd drive it 500 miles or less and some 4,000 +.

Pretty much the same then. What company do you have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan, that's not right. I have Grundy, and I can take my car where ever I want. ( don't - but that's not correct. You need to call them and find out what's what.)

Do you own & use a BRAKE CLUB? If not, you need to go buy one....TODAY !!

The steering wheel club is a joke, but the brake club is good.

To save your original roof, do not lock the doors. They will only take out a razor blade & slit your top. Leaving doors open will prevent that, and ALWAYS use your brake club. Lastly, don't be in the store too long !!!!
Put CDs Cassettes in trunk -but if they pull the wire to pop trunk, they are gone. Parking it, is more hazardous than driving it.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grundy kind of says wherever you want to drive is ok...but they have weak description of it which appears to limit driving to work and everyday driving.

-Mike
RareFox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with American Modern insurance group as I had previous coverage with them for years on my Pontiac Trans Am. Never did file any claims though, so can't speak for how well that aspect is handled. Rates are very competitive.

Agreed value policy, but I do recall the fine print is very specific regarding usage (i.e. not shopping at the mall, grocery runner, parking it all day at work, etc.). It's expected you'll use the car exclusively for fair-weather pleasure use and displaying at occasional shows. By limiting their potential exposure to losses, this is how these companies are able to offer such low rates on valuable collector vehicles. May try Grundy or Hagerty if there's ever a need to switch.
No blood in these veins... thats Mobil-1~!!
bryan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bryan, that's not right. I have Grundy, and I can take my car where ever I want. ( don't - but that's not correct. You need to call them and find out what's what.)

According to Grundy's policy quote, "errands" aren't covered, and it can't be used for "back up" transportation. However, after calling on the phone, they do seem more flexible than the policy quote language implies. You can take the car out to eat and even drive it to work occasionally. I think I'm going to go with them.

I don't have a club, but I do follow your other advise on not locking the doors, and I have a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump. I think I'll invest in a club too, though. Extra deterrent never hurts.
'87 Guards Red ascMcLaren (#398)
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryan wrote:

I don't have a club, but I do follow your other advise on not locking the doors, and I have a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump. I think I'll invest in a club too, though. Extra deterrent never hurts.

Most cars are snatched with a tow truck/flatbed. Deterrents will work for only joy riders.

I often wished there was a way to lock the wheels that can't be undone easily.

Probably need a boot:
http://www.universalboot.com/index.php/anti-theft-products-category

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: