ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capri vs Mustang McLaren
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
75coug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that this group will be all over the map on this question. While I strongly oppose modifying the exterior or interior of a rare car, I generally do not have a problem with making conservative changes to the drivetrain. This is particularly the case where the engine is old and tired, and where the replacement is something akin to the original, and not something crazy or over the top.

There are a lot of wild changes to Mustangs and Capris mentioned over at the four-eyed pride website (installation of an FE unit and the like) that kind of make my stomach turn, but I just bite my tongue, figuring "to each his own." Since you asked for our opinions on this site, however, I'm offering my two cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and be sure to keep us up to date.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tom. My '01 Lightning has 70,000 hard, well cared for miles. I even pulled it out early this year because I was going through withdrawal.

My opinion is a car, whether its a collectible or daily transportation is a mode of conveyance. As such, it should be used to convey. Collectibles are just that, because they remind us of happy and enjoyable times in our lives. They should be used as they were when the memories were cast in our hearts and minds..... But then, what do I know? I appease my wife AND occasionally listen to her just so I can buy toys!?! Laughing

Chuck
rlyons13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

OK, a followup question, mostly hypothetical since there is no way I can get down to FL to inspect the car before the auction ends. The 86 is a looker in its silver/grey configuration. The general direction of the conversation is that just replacing the 132K engine with a FRP crate engine dressed to be identical to the original wouldn't be bad. My only other concern about the car is that I REALLY LOVE THE CAPRI McLAREN GROUND EFFECTS! I assume Sandy has the info to tell if the car had 'em or not, so I wouldn't be installing them for fraud purposes. And, I assume Henry has all the parts necessary to make it happen.

So, the followup would be, would you vote someone off the island if they installed (correctly) the optional Capri ground effects?

And just one last thing. Does anyone know the Recaro seat part number for 86. I know where a bunch of discontinued Recaro seats are (former dealer showroom models) and those seats look very familar to me. I assume Henry may still have the proper McLarfen covers for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Sandy really has the figures on which cars got the GFX in 86 or not (he'll speak up I'm sure)....but apparently it was an option on all of them, PLUS some dealers were putting them on since 84 or 85 at the request of customers.....so to be honest GFX or no GFX I don't really think it matters too much as to the "authenticity" of the car. And yes, Hank has all that you will need and can hope for in regards to parts.

...as to the engine...its not a bad option you present but personally I don't like to replace engines. It just feels wrong to me to separate the original motor from a car....

But I'm one of those nuts that's always trying to undo the last person't good itentions and put a car back to stock form.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not be "wrong" to install the front, rear & side ground effects but they should include the headlamp & tailight covers as well, to complete the package. This will be a costly adventure! Labor, parts, paint, etc. However, all done & done correctly, it will add to the car visually. However..... as I had posted prior, (not on this thread) the OEM MSRLP of the "Performance Decor Package" was $1,395.00. IF a dealer ordered one in each color (i.e. one Platinum Silver; one Atlantic Blue and one Paris Blue) that dealer got the Performance Decor Package for free, while the window sticker showed $1,395.00 added to the car's total.
That said......every other 1986 in one of those 3 colors that has ever surfaced has had the package! So, to me, I thought that it was unique & interesting as is. The original selling dealer obviously either:
a) only ordered the one convertible, or
b) it was ordered as a sold unit for a waiting customer who didn't want the P.D.P
Dealers ALWAYS take advantage of factory freebies !! Very Happy
It will cost you far more than the original $1,395.00 to add it !!!!!

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front air dam kit: 420.00
Side Rockers: 360.00
Rear Valence = 330.00
Valence Filler Strip = $25
4 light covers = 500
2 piece finishing strip = 45
--------------------------------------
$1680 before labor/paint

SOMETIMES Hank puts stuff on ebay...and it goes for 20%-50% off.

(and to think, I bought all those pieces above from Hank, and a whole lot more...it adds up fast)
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to indicate that the P.D.P. was NOT available on white, black or red cars. It was, and I've seen at least one in each color with it. However, dealers paid for it on those cars, no matter how many they ordered !

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: