ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hey...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tl1000r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: hey... Reply with quote

New guy. Hope you guys and girls can help me out a bit. I know mustangs but know very little about asc mclearn's. Hope to learn a bit. Just bough an 89 asc.
75coug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. What is the story behind your purchase?

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
hanksgt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: hey... Reply with quote

Welcome. Ask away. I have had my '89 ASC for 11 years. And there are many experts here too!

tl1000r wrote:
New guy. Hope you guys and girls can help me out a bit. I know mustangs but know very little about asc mclearn's. Hope to learn a bit. Just bough an 89 asc.

'89 ASC #176
'87 ASC #134
'85 GT
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Let's see some pictures! Very Happy
1988 ASC McLaren #688
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Great group here. Like Marines, we're the few but proud!!!
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Give me your last 3 digits of your VIN and 'll tell you all about it.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
tl1000r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Welcome. Give me your last 3 digits of your VIN and 'll tell you all about it.

Last 3 numbers are "491". Here is a pic too. Last guy kind of destroyed it unfortuntealy. Just not really sure what to do with it. Looking for ideas and input. Any info and ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, more to follow a little bit later, but for now..

These items are incorrect:

The silver strip on deck lid & I'd assume on the hood.
The wheels

VERY VERY surprisingly, the car's convertible top IS correct & probably the original. (I can tell by the size of the smaller plastic windows in it AND by the stitching - both of which no aftermarket maker has yet to get correct !!)

The taillamps on her are correct, BUT are missing their ascMcLaren overlay plastic that changes their appearance.
www.ascMcLaren.com
can hook you up with a pair of them.

Your oval FORD emblem on the deck lid is incorrect and needs removing. Hello bodyshop

Your VIN is 183491

Because your car is wearing a paint color that was NOT a selection for 1989 ascMcLarens, I looked into the McLaren files.

It appears that someone in the car's past, has totally altered the car.

According to ascMcLaren records, your car left ascMcLaren in the color called "Azura Blue Pearl" and was built with Sand Beige interior and a tan cambria cloth roof.

Now then, THAT is ALOT to alter !! That means carpeting, door panels, dash pad, all interior colored plastic pieces, and other little doo-hickies.....and sun visors... Furthermore, a color almost exact to your car WAS INDEED offered on the 1988 ascMcLarens, that being Cadillac's "Academy Grey Metallic".
When a color was added or dropped, it was removed from the 'Puter system.
SOOoo, they could NOT put down the actual color. But they still had to account for 183491, so they put down anything on the list, to account for the car.
That is the best answer I can think of.
When the car was built as a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0L 2-Door Coupe AT FoMoCo it was Ford Painted Black, with Opal Grey interior. That is how it arrived at ascMcLaren.
So, it you find a black firewall and other hidden from human eyes painted parts, they will be black.
(Or maybe Azura Blue? Wink )

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl1000r, check the car over for the black and blue colors. asc did a very thorough job when painting and a body shop probably did not.

Pull up the carpet/door sills and see what you find. You should find some blue paint in there somewhere.

Is there a paint sticker on the car anywhere that might still be there?

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
03Mach1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that is a lot of alterations. missing all of the skirts, rear / front bumper and looks like straight pipes out the rear as apposed to the gt exhaust from the factory. Don't get me wrong though, I am looking at it from an original standpoint. It is no where original from asc, but original in its own right and a very sharp looking ride. enjoy her no matter what...

ps look for a sticker under the rear deck lid, should say sikkens and the color
'88 ASC/McLaren #542 white/gray/black 20,000 miles trailer queen
'03 Mach 1 torch red 7,500 miles trailer queen-sold
'06 King Ranch F150 white over gold/saddle 34,000 miles-mustang hauler
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Okay, more to follow a little bit later, but for now..

These items are incorrect:

The silver strip on deck lid & I'd assume on the hood.
The wheels

VERY VERY surprisingly, the car's convertible top IS correct & probably the original. (I can tell by the size of the smaller plastic windows in it AND by the stitching - both of which no aftermarket maker has yet to get correct !!)

The taillamps on her are correct, BUT are missing their ascMcLaren overlay plastic that changes their appearance.
www.ascMcLaren.com
can hook you up with a pair of them.

Your oval FORD emblem on the deck lid is incorrect and needs removing. Hello bodyshop

Your VIN is 183491

Because your car is wearing a paint color that was NOT a selection for 1989 ascMcLarens, I looked into the McLaren files.

It appears that someone in the car's past, has totally altered the car.

According to ascMcLaren records, your car left ascMcLaren in the color called "Azura Blue Pearl" and was built with Sand Beige interior and a tan cambria cloth roof.

Now then, THAT is ALOT to alter !! That means carpeting, door panels, dash pad, all interior colored plastic pieces, and other little doo-hickies.....and sun visors... Furthermore, a color almost exact to your car WAS INDEED offered on the 1988 ascMcLarens, that being Cadillac's "Academy Grey Metallic".
When a color was added or dropped, it was removed from the 'Puter system.
SOOoo, they could NOT put down the actual color. But they still had to account for 183491, so they put down anything on the list, to account for the car.
That is the best answer I can think of.
When the car was built as a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0L 2-Door Coupe AT FoMoCo it was Ford Painted Black, with Opal Grey interior. That is how it arrived at ascMcLaren.
So, it you find a black firewall and other hidden from human eyes painted parts, they will be black.
(Or maybe Azura Blue? Wink )

um. wow. someone did go to ALOT of trouble. to turn it into a 5.0 LX

car was originally Azura blue with beige interior and top...... NICE

car still looks good, but. why why why...... there were thousands of 5.0 LXs out there.....

Ok, just looked this car up on the '89 color production chart for its color combo. If everything Sandy verified is true, this was a 1 of 1 car.
Sad
1 of 1............... Rolling Eyes
1988 ASC McLaren #688
tl1000r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was definitealy blue. Trunk interior is blue. Car at some point was also red!! Interior is now a grey/black mix. ASC sticker still on the door. Guy I purchased it from wanted his own thing so he stripped the mclearn stuff off and....ebayed them! Car is rough though. Rockers are in bad shape and the paint id about 1/2" thick. I purchased it for the parts he has in it (306/ supercharger/ TKO tranny etc.). For me, the $$$ is not in it to fix. Very cool looking car but IMO too far gone. We'll see how it goes. Any ideas on costs to rplace the skirts, tail lights etc. the GT nose and the interior is no issues. Thanks again for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: