ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McLaren in Hemmings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
75coug

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: McLaren in Hemmings Reply with quote

A really nice looking, low mileage 1986 convertible is listed for sale in the most recent Hemmings. I e-mailed the seller, and he sent me some photos. If one of you computer magicians wants me to forward the e-mail to you so that you can post some of the photos here, just let me know.

If memory serves, the car has around 11,000 miles on it, and the seller is asking over $14,000. Too much, of course, but man, this car looks good. My own low mileage '86 might look this way if its first owner hadn't let it sit outside for years.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think $14,000 is too much for it. I was offered $ 17,000 for my 1990 (Silver one) with 7,327 miles. If somebody doesn't really care if they get one or not, then - Okay, maybe it's high, but if someone is looking for a mint example, that's been cared for .... it's not too high, if the quality is there.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
I don't think $14,000 is too much for it. I was offered $ 17,000 for my 1990 (Silver one) with 7,327 miles. If somebody doesn't really care if they get one or not, then - Okay, maybe it's high, but if someone is looking for a mint example, that's been cared for .... it's not too high, if the quality is there.

yep nice ones bring the money i do recall my blue 12k 86 vert selling for just shy of 14k nice nice original low mile ones are few and far between and seem to hold there value and aprentley sell!
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one ??

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/8/71395568.htm

Bob, wanna brand new, virgin example ?

rlyons13

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

Oh sure, talk me into going to see Snowball (the 68 sold, we have hotel reservations for the end of the month, going to Henry's with the trailer) then try to tempt me with this one. I've seen this before though, its been for sale for a while now. The black/black/red just doesn't hit me.

I want a car I can detail out, show but not have to worry I'm putting a chip on a low mileage car that I'd like to put 2K on a year. The reason I sold the 68 GT was that I put 2K on it in 7 years!

I already have an accumulation of Motorcraft and Ford parts for Snowball. I plan on replacing every piece of rubber in the suspension and all the wear items within the first year. Synthetics all around! But you scare me on this body bracing deal. Good thing I kept a 4-point G-Load brace in my parts collection (I was planning to convert my old 79 Pace Car into an AI car, but decided Solo I in the CObra was a better fit right now). Looks like I just may have to bite the bullet and weld in subframe connectors if there is no other bracing. And I may just raid a wrecked convertible for some of the undercarriage bracing pieces, as the old FMS chassis stiffening kit is long since discontinued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eagerly look farward to your 1st report pertaining to what underbody - Oh, lets call it "Stability Equipment" (for lack of an all inclusive word) that ascMcLaren did. I do know that the vertical "A" pillars were lead-filled.
I came across some ascMcLaren literature late last night while looking and I found a sentence that was vague, but said, "Convertible Chassis Bracing" among ascMcLaren additions, whatever THAT is...
My only complaint with the cars in general, is that they ride so stiff and unforgiving. This is fine for the track, or the Garden State Parkway, but around town (and you're in N.J.) with all the patchwork quilt roads being constantly dug up by the utilities, the pot holes, the construction, etc, etc the car almost seems to literaly bolt from irregularity to irregularity on the road, transmitting a "Hey, I removed my shocks" kinda ride.
Now, I realize my daily ride is a Town Car (marshmellow placed on bowl of pudding) ride ... ... But the McLaren's fuel mileage is better than my bladder's mileage, when in the McLaren. Laughing

Last edited by Sandy on Thu May 05, 2005 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlyons13 wrote:
Synthetics all around!

FYI, there was a discussion about syntheitc bushings at FEP....you probably already know the concern but just keep it in mind....

v8only wrote:

just be careful of NOT getting poly at both ends of the lowers, unless you've got a track only car. Poly at both ends is really bad for cornering and will rip your torque boxes out.

I would imagine then you would need to strengthen things up a bit to keep that sort of damage from happening...which you may already be planning to do...I just wouldn't want anyone to damage their asc!

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNOWBALL's coming to Jersey!! "YES !!!"

We;ve just gotta mate Blue-Mac & Snowball !! Shocked and make a powder blue baby Mac !!

rlyons13

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I mean synthetic FLUIDS in the engine, tranny, rear and PS pump. And a brake flush. I will replace the control arms IF I have to with Ford OEM parts. All other bushings will be Prothane or a harder rubber. I already have a track car that rides on rails. Don't need this car to do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: