ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1984 Capri BReakouts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sandy! We already have your 1985 figs:

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=337

I'm going to put this in the info area.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, I did not know to put it. Thanks ! Tomorrow I do 1986..Yes ??? ??

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
ya, I did not know to put it. Thanks ! Tomorrow I do 1986..Yes ??? ??

We have 1986. You already did that one too.

79-83 would be nice to have Smile

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have them, So Sorry....

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. upped the ante with the Chemo, yesterday. I am be in a very nasty mood. Angry from being upped to Premium Chemo from no-name brand "regular" chemo.
Let me tell 'ya, this tihs (spelt backwarsds) is wickked. Makes me spit. I have spit over 100 times, since 8 AM. Went out with Karen. Had verbal fight over "how I was acting" (the store pissed me off, sorry)

So.... I was bitchy.

Then we went to the Kosher Deli and I got more nice. I like really good food. So, I spent fifty dollars on goodiees. What did I get?

3/4 a pound of Prime store baked, all white meat turkey, Kosher
1/2 pound of spicey cole slaw and a pound of THE best potatoe salad on earth,
please trust me on that.

About a 1/4 pound of fresh olives from the olive bar, and a big,. really big, sour pickle with red pickled peppers in brine,

a loaf of store baked seeedless Jewish Rye

Noodle pudding with cherries and baked sugered apples compote,
( a pound of it);
Laughing Laughing Laughing

a 6-pac of RC Cola and 2 huge mega big tomatoes

We then proceeded to PIG OUT. I feel alot better.

(She is still "cold" to me. I was really angry (at the world) 2 day, from all this very trying, painfull chemo.

Then we went to Home Depot to buy 409. NOBODY (NO STORE, or Grocery sells 409 any longer. Gotta go to Home Depot for 409.
PITA ! What a day, dizzy. Karen drove. I am a bad passenger, to boot.

Then we went to look at cars. Our 2001 Cherokee Limited 4X4 is at 66,000 miles, and the heated seat, driver side, broke & cannot be fixed. Had it at 2 dealers, and it can't be fixed.
We went to look at a 2011 Jeep Liberty Limited 4X4. I don't like, cuause theyare so high off the ground, it's hard getting in/out. Front bucket seats are ubcomfortible, as well. Looked at Patriot. Terribly cheap looking interior, but I like the smaller (better) size. No sale, we left.
They have a neat midnight purple color on the Liberty. Would be great on a McLaren 'Vert with white top/leather.

Sleep time.

plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

The Jeep problem, was wondering if the other seat was heated and if so could they swap the parts to make it work on the drivers side???
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Heated Reply with quote

They are some good aftermarket suppliers on the heated seats. Ie heaters, timers etc. I'm sure something can be fixed.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, you need to make friends with a restorer/shade tree mechanic. You need to get the seat disassembled and see what part is not working.

I bet the part is easily available somewhere (even if a junkyard part), the car isn't that old.

Half the time it isn't even the reason you think. Have you checked all the fuses in the car?

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long post

Yes, had the Jeep at our dealer. They took it all apart, and really did try, but...it is not fixable. (Cliff Notes version, coming up.)
The GRID on the back-side of ther leather is sewn directly INTO the backside of the leather backing. The seat covering AND the wiring are one of itself. The grid has, somewhere, a break in it, and therefore the thing shuts down. So, they tried to order a new seat cover (lower part where your @$$ goes) - but because it is a 10 year old car, they (Mother-MOPAR) does NOT have any left.
So, Sandy went onto the Jeep troubleshotting board on the web and it's a very common problem and 1 or 2 people have gone thru like a 4 hour repair, and used a soilder gun to dribble a little and attempt make a connection. They achieved their goal and the thing heated up.
But, within 2 uses, (sitting on the seat) it snapped ! The grid is actually sewen onto (or into) the leather's backing.
I had to pay 90 minutes labor ($123.00_ to find this out !
The Tech at our dealer told me not to spend any more $$$ on it, because
once they break, they really cannot be fixed. I asked how long do they usually last and he said "it dependens upon use & weight of the drivers. But added you got 10 years, 3 years extra !! Wink

No, you cannot switch seats, as then you cannot change the posistion of the seat. Both seats are 6-way power with recliners, and the wiring for the heater (driver & Passenger)_ are specifically dedicated, to "L" and "R" - plus the seat controls would not usable, as they both would be smack against the center console, and you would not be able to get habd in there to adjust either seat!

The reason it "hurts" is because the car is 100% flawelss, really, I swear, it is SHOW QUALITY, throughout, has all 27 options on it and has not a door ding, scratch and shows no signs of wear. Floor carpets are "as new", ditto everytning else. Brand new tires, no brake dust on rims, no splits in the leather seats, ubber flawless, 1 cold seat. BTW, it ia 19 degrees here in Jersey at 8AM Jeep lives in the driveway. Can ya imigine how cold that seat is?

Last edited by Sandy on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, the button that one pushes to turn on the seat heater....if it fails, the button blinks a code, like dot-dash, etc. You watch the code and look into owner's manual and it tells you WHY it does not work. MY code shows wiring is okay and fuse is okay and the problem is the grid. (Which, of course is the 1 part that cannot be repaired AND no new ones are left.

I looked at my 2002 Automotive News (trade paper) and went to options and then went to Jeep Cherokee and then went to Heated Seats and it shows an installation rate of 3.7 percent, and only available on the LIMITED model.
SO, no chance finding one in a junk yard, furthermore, I would not knoe if it worked.....and the leather covering would (probably) be the wrong color. Ours is dark grey, there was also light beige and light grey...

svo413

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: heated Reply with quote

Sandy,

That's some pretty good cliff notes there. They went thru all that trouble and could have fixed it in another 15-30 minutes. Here are some generic heater parts. http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seatheatac.html or
http://www.heatedseatkits.com/ I think Mike posted the first one a while back.

The old one could be cut out and the new one slipped in. They do not need to be sewn in. Sure OEM is best but often if it cannot be seen there is another fix. Would you sell your house if the furnace needed a part and the furnance company went out of business? No probably not.

While your heater switch may have some trouble shooting codes, a switch can often be used a just a switch. There are only 2 wires to connect to the heater. Sure it may take some thought but I bet the supplied can lead you in the right direction. Best of luck.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
Kentennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a major problem in the summer?

A couple of ours have heated seats. We have never used them!

signed,

Ken in Florida
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the dealer isn't going to think out of the box like that. They will only think in terms of genuine brand parts.

Like SVO413 said...a generic heater pad would have fit the bill. You'd never know, nor would anyone one else looking at the car.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wrote to them to see if they have one for our SUV. I still have to take it to dealer or upholstery place to install. I can't do that kinda stuff. No tools.

Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They wrote back, but did not address how and/or where the on-off switch would be. Can it be connected to the OEM console mount switch, or is the thing gonna flop around on the floor? They say theirs will last 4-ever as the coils are made from carbon fibre. Who knows. I always fear aftermarket.
Could cause a fire ? Never say never. Then again...... the cost to do this is huge. Remove seat from car, seperate seat back, from seat bottom, remove leather seat cover (they NEVER go back on, as the factory did!) - instal this companies heated seat whatever...coils....recover seat back & cushion, and attach the 2 to one & other and then into the car, which also has dual 6-way power seats and recliners.

Surely something will go wrong ! How many hours labor might that take ?
These after market companies only want to sell you their product, and then get outta here. The installer has all the work !! Then the installer informs you that it will not work IN YOUR CAR because your has twin butkicks and it's not compatable and their major connector is too long / short (take your pick) and it cannot be done.
Then the seller will not take it back because it has been taken apart and lada lada lada siss boom baag ! The consumer is left holding the bag.

Been there - Done that. Another thing, these sellers think that everyone is age 30 and has 2 degrees in mechanical engineering.

Where does that leave me ? "Hi, Iam 64 and weakened from Chemo, but only 3,500 hours of it - so, yes, I can still open the box it came in !" Now What? But, I only have a few screwdrivers & a hammer and a pliers. I need WHAT? A hog puller ? Fut da wut bees dat ?

See, guys...not easy. I figure this: Car is 10 years old (66,000 miles) and is in flawless pristine concours condition, wearing NEW tires (under 1,000 miles on 'em, leather seats have no cracks, piping on seats is as new. Car goes like a scortched fox - tons of torque. New battery all service records in glove box. No rust, anywhere, waxed with $100.00 wax, detailed.
CD player & Cassette player top of the line stereo with subwoofers.
Power everything, heated exterior mirrors, power operated, spare tire never used. 27 options, all factory, NO humpty Dumpty add ons.
I can sell it, retail for $6,000 easily (I THINK).
and buy a new Liberty Limited. Has a $3,000 rebate & I can get $1,100 off MSRLP. Fresh money would total around $23,000 including tax.
As all women would say, as does my wife says......

NO !!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: