ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stalling whenI Turn
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havoc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: stalling whenI Turn Reply with quote

pretty much sums it up i can have the car in idle and if i turn the wheel the car will stall out. Now when I drive at first any turns i make will cause the car to stallout. After its good and warm all is good.
Any idea's?
avmtdan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the power steering pump is locking up, or the steering gear is causing too much pressure on the pump and it is lugging the engine down at slow speeds? Try removing the serpentine belt and drive it (very briefly, no belt= no water pump, no more than 1 minute).
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
86capri62

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if they have a power steering pressure switch. PSPS. This switch senses the pressure in the steering system and make up the difference in the injection system. Take a look at your pressure hose if you find a sensor on it. If you find one it could be this one not doing his job. Or maybe your idle solenoid is too stiff and can't do the job when cold.
77 Ferrari 308 GTB(sold)
90 Ferrari Testarossa(yellow)(sold)
2007 Corvette convertible supercharged(sold)
2005 MB SLK 350
2008 Rotorway helicopter
avmtdan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the idle solenoid will fail to the point that it does not idle at all. If you apply a little power does it still stall?
Havoc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some cases yes pumping the gas will keep it going but in most cases the car goes dead in the middle of a turn with no chance to keep it going.

My idle seems ok. I have the occasional surg but not so much after replacing the tps sensor. I clean the iac every couple of months but i am thinking might be time to replace alltogether.
n20capri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for codes...there is a test you do with the car running - I don't remember exactly what we did or what we were looking for at the time because it was years ago but my mechanic had me start the car and then do various things...and one for sure was to turn the steering wheel...

If there is an issue it might throw a code...
86 AscMcLaren Capri Coupe - #026 | 11.4@118 | 290/322
86 9L SVO
www.mikemartinelli.com
www.baldguydesigns.net

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Album
86capri62

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This test was KOER wich mean Key On Engine Running. You had to hit throttle to Wide open, then hit the brakes and turn steering 1/4 turn left and right. This was done to check if the sensors were working, the TPS the brake switch and the PSPS. But to do this you have to be in self test diagnostic. It would then clic the TAD and TAB if my memory is good and check the IAC, electric fan if there is one, etc.
77 Ferrari 308 GTB(sold)
2005 MB SLK 350
2008 Rotorway helicopter
TJTAT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope you guys dont laugh at me for saying this but it could be the fuel tank.. my brother experienced this first hand on his ford probe.. he replaced this and that to no avail. so he thought and thought about it.. needless to say he replaced his fuel cell and it fixed it.. every time he took a left hand turn it would die.. all the gas would slosh to the right side.. the mesh at the bottom of the tank was broken!!!!! i dont know if mustang or capri tank are the same way

hears a question for you.. how much gas is in it??? if you have less than 1/8 of a tank of gas find a way to fill it up.. then drive it and if it doesnt die then its your fuel tank

hope this helps
Havoc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this, pump is fine, New IAC- even though it runs a tad smoother it did not fix my stalling issue. I think my problem is in the steering column. The wheel is a little loose around the tilt. I can start the car and wiggle the wheel and it will stall.

Any idea's

BTW I just replaced the turn signal switch as well.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things.

First:

The ignition switch (not the tumbler). If it has not been replaced, REPLACE IT NOW. They are notorious at loosening up and burning the car down. That could EASILY be the stalling problem. $15 at NAPA and good PEACE OF MIND!

SECOND:

You need to go in a tighten up a couple of screws that are in your steering column. This will fix that sloppy steering column problem. Do a search at foureyedpride.com, this has been described tons of times.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
avmtdan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take your VIN and go to the ford website you can check to see if the switch has been replaced, if not definately done. I was a tech for Ford in a previous life, the switch will burn up your wiring also. If it hasn't been done yet Ford will cover it on the recall, and if the switch did any damage they will fix it for free.
Havoc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I picked up the switch however does our cars have the protective torx screws?
86capri62

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so. TX27R if my memory is good because I did that at least 15 years ago and maybe more. I was using a special bit with a side dimple to be jammed in a ratchet wrench this way it's short and work well in the colunm area. But this could have been on the Tempo Topaz, I'm not 100% sure.
77 Ferrari 308 GTB(sold)
2005 MB SLK 350
2008 Rotorway helicopter
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take your dremel and notch the torx and use a regular screw driver to remove.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
capri50asc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Ignition Switch Reply with quote

Mike

I contacted Hines Park Lincoln Mercury today on the Ignition Switch
problems/Recalls. They went into the Ford Motor Co, Website and it did not show any recalls on this switch for both of my '86 Capris. I did Google the recall and most show 88-93 had a problem with fires. Is there a different
site that states the 84-86 had a problem?

Thanks Chris Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: