ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For all of my mechanic friends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: For all of my mechanic friends Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDnivh5Odfk

i think i had a conversation that went just like this last week. best part at 1:52
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal with the same thing.....EVERYDAY!!!!!

Chuck
86capri62

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that because of so many stupid backyard mechanics. This story is SO true. Really fun to hear but not to experienced as a mechanic.
77 Ferrari 308 GTB(sold)
90 Ferrari Testarossa(yellow)(sold)
2007 Corvette convertible supercharged(sold)
2005 MB SLK 350
2008 Rotorway helicopter
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 30 years of selling cars, (Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Imperial & Pontiac) stretching from 1968 thru 1998, I would estimate that 35 to 45% of all my customers had this mentallity! !! The other 40% were just dumb-@$$ and 10% were intelligent and a pleasure to sell to.
Rolling Eyes

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

86capri62 wrote:
All of that because of so many stupid backyard mechanics. This story is SO true. Really fun to hear but not to experienced as a mechanic.

I respectfully beg to differ with you on this point. You can't put this just on the mechanic, no matter how bad they are.

People in general don't put as much thought into choosing a mechanic as they do into choosing a gas station.

And they will continue to go back to a hack until the car is just FUBARED,because the price is right, then they go to a good mechanic and want ALL the work done for virtually free. And have an attitude with you if you charge them anything more than slave wages. In addition, they want just the minimum work to fix the IMMEDIATE problem, which is what got them into trouble in the first place.

I tell my customers they're not paying me for the work I do, they're paying me for the KNOWLEDGE to do a proper job the first time.

Chuck
86capri62

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck I agree with what you say. But the customer usually doesn't know anything about mechanic. He should be properly informed by the so called mechanic. After he has had bad experience with him he then come to you and I understand he is upset against mechanics and he is not confident anymore. That is why I say this bad mechanic is responsible for that attitude. A lot of teaching is needed to bring them back to good understanding. But I do agree that some are just a waste of time.

I've been a mechanic all my life and I think a fairly good one. I use to work at a shop as the only mechanic and a friend of mine was a bodyman there. When I left a guy was hire to take my vacant job. After a while I talked to my friend and he said that.
Quote: When you worked here I remember sometimes you were just standing by the car and you looked like you were doing nothing. But when you started doing something you went right to the problem most of the time on the first attempt. The new guy is working on the car all the time and replace all kind of parts for nothing before he finally solve the problem. Now I understand that you were doing your diagnostic mentally instead of doing trial and error ans waisting time and money.
77 Ferrari 308 GTB(sold)
90 Ferrari Testarossa(yellow)(sold)
2007 Corvette convertible supercharged(sold)
2005 MB SLK 350
2008 Rotorway helicopter

Last edited by 86capri62 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A backyard mechanic is usually the guy who tinkers with cars and knows that they aren't always easy to fix. This is not the guy here.

The guy here is the cheap-ass, doesn't want to know anything about cars until he gets stranded on the side of the road and now thinks it's rediculous the fix isn't easy or guaranteed.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
shaolinfox30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed a lot at this video. I will be sharing this w/ friends and dealership co-workers.
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mental diagnosis is very familiar. I do that too. My dad, who is the best mechanic I've ever seen, always taught me that you have to know how something works in order to be able to figure out whats wrong with it.

Ironically, my engineering training tells me basically the opposite.....Identify the problem and re-engineer it.
I've always enjoyed being a mechanic much more than engineering. Engineers have constraints(education), mechanics don't(knowledge). Wink

Chuck
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im glad you guys liked the video. i loled the the first 5 times i watched it Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: