ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to sell a vehicle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Trying to sell a vehicle Reply with quote

I've been trying to sell a daily driver SUV since January. It is loaded with every option. Exceptionally clean inside and out. It has one drawback - 80,500 miles. Its a 2008. And due to this it is priced $2,500 below what it should sell for, which I knew I had to do - but it doesn't seem to matter. I've never seen people run from a car like they have against this.

I've probably had 20 serious inquiries in 5 months, but as soon as they hear the mileage, they won't give it the time of day or at least make an appointment to see how nice it is. Rolling Eyes Oil has been changed every 3,000 miles, all filters also as needed, waxed about every 6 months. The price clearly attracts them for what it is, but that is why the price low. I know I couldn't expect to get the same $$$ as one with 20,000 miles.

I've bought and sold over 2 dozen vehicles the last 20 years and have never had such a tough time selling. (alot for someone who's never sold cars for a living). And I've usually done very well, in breaking even or making money on the vehicle.

Isn't to some degree, higher mileage vehicles not as much of and issue with today's modern cars (that are designed to have much longer lives) vs. the 60s-70s-80s?

Anyway, I know there are a few of you on here in the car business or used to be Wink and just thought someone might have thoughts or ideas.

Thanks.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
avmtdan

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that car your is so new, and has less than 100 thousand miles, you may be able to buy one of those cheap extended warranties for the car. Make sure it is transferable though. Years ago my wife and I were looking for an SUV, and we actually went with the higher mileage one because it still had 20k left on the warranty ( I believe it was around 80k then to). The warranty would have covered the major powertrain stuff, not much else, but still it was enough for us to offset the risk of higher mileage.

My biggest fear when buying used is that the vehicle has some major issue that is either not rearing its ugly head, or has problems that the owner is not disclosing, a couple hundred bucks for an extended warranty may save you the headache of a driveway queen for the foreseeable future.
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
avmtdan

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of vehicle is it anyway? I am wondering if the gas prices might have something to do with it.
ct_gsxr1000

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most difficult vehicle for me to sell was my 85 vert..... i actually stopped at a guys house (who i didn't know, a local neighbor) while he was pulling a motor out of his mustang and offered to sell him the car, next thing I knew his father took it. And I have had/sold everything under the sun with no issues from dirt bikes, quads, cars, suv's etc. I just sold the wife's high school 1985 Toyota no option 4cyl pick up (4x4) for $2,500 with 180k on the clock in 3 hrs. on craigslist..... it's what supply and demand is
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avmtdan wrote:
What kind of vehicle is it anyway? I am wondering if the gas prices might have something to do with it.

Ford Escape Limited. It gets decent mileage even having the V6 - 24mpg.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Kentennis

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my wife an '04 Escape XLT, with the 'No Boudaries' package in December 2003. V-6. Lots and lots of pep. Very quick from a standstill. 25 MPG hiway, 20+ city. If I sold that, I'd be single again. She loves the vehicle and NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it in over 60,000 miles. Looks, runs and drives like new. Needs new tires in the next year, just because of the age, lots of tread left, buy they are Goodyears and noisey. I want to put the same brand on that I have on my Expedition.

Expedition: 5.4Liter, V-8, 24 valve, EFI, 6 speed automatic. 17+ around the county and over 20 on the highway. But my Sirius Radio runs out tonight at midnite.

I think Ford builds one fo the best vehicles made today. Have owned several new ones and never had a problem with any of them. First new one was a 1966 Fairlane 500XL 2 door hardtop. V-8, bucets, selsct shift, Aqua in and out. Wish I had kept it.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe able to help what ya asking?
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are having a hard time, because you are not properly qualifying the tele. callers. Keep them on the phone, longer and be up front with them, but DO NOT introduce the mileage in the beginning. Also....you are letting them hang up, too soon. You are allowing the caller to control the tele. call. Let them control on the phione - but in person, you must control.Not them.! If you are not in control, you will never sell it.

Okay? Here's how

Be businesslike & professional. Refer to your self as "Mr. Brown
not Tommy. Assure them that you are a private seller. (They are calling YOU, because they are scared tulips of us dealers.

Describe the car. Stay the hell off of price, UNTIL you finish with the car.
Remember..... you are selling A CAR - you are not selling a PRICE. They cannort driive "a price"
Now then..
On the phone you tell them how good the car is, the options that you paid for, and the good care you have given it.
Wet their interest, but do not overload them....YET (comes latrer...)

ON THE PHONE....(you are now going to weed out the timid)..You tell them the mileage and explain the much of it was over the road, at cruising speeds. Tell how reliable it is, and how you have kept up with the reccomened servicing. Tell them what the SUV will do for them,
such as it's hiogh visibility and the command center and great visibbility and the ease of driving it due to sitting up higher .
Listen to the caller. He will tell you what his fears are, thereby allowing YOU to put them to rest !
If he/she cannot come to you, and if it's not too far, take it to them.
TAKE YOUR WIFE.....if you go to the caller's place.
Wifes make friends with his eife over silly siht like plants, fish in the hiouse or their pets.... this makes the buyer's wife relax that you are good, trusting folks. Face facks, 90% of it all is Prime B.S. !

ASK for a Deposit, because other folks have called to see in this coming week. (It don't matter how much.....it's all about getting a committment !!! Mentally !!!!!!!!!

You pont out all of the good featurrs, and the care the SUV has had and how it's the LIMITED and the top of the line.....and how the top of the line hold its value better than the "cheapee"!!

If he gives you a low ball offer, just say "Oh, could not sell her for that, because we both know it's worth more - - but I might meet you half way, if your lovely wife wanrs it.......

3/4s of the way thru....you can tell this by watching the MAN...he'll seemingly begin looking around, like he has lost his dog....

ASK for a deposit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell that you have had other callers, and they are coming. But to take away the pressure, tell him thr you & the wife are going across the street to get a coke and will be in a monent or two....AND GO !!!
This leaves them to discuss it in private!!!
When you return - they will tell you whatthey will do. DO NOT ASK !!!
Sell the car. Not the price. rhey are buying a car - they are NOT buying "a price".

What ever happens, make sure they have your tele # and thank them for the opportunity of showing them you rcar. and make it souind sincere.

NEVER EVER agree to a chop in price. YOU MUST counter with a higher amouint - even if it's only $50 bucks more. Otherwise they will think "Geez, I offered too much. He grabbed my offer...I shoulda offered less.
Make him work, for the4 deal. He will work you- you can be sure of it.

Do not advertise on the weekend. Advertise mid week.
Everybody & his Mother advertises on the weekend. You be the odd man out. Advertise in your local newspaper.
Wife go to a hairdresser? Tell her to tell the hairdresser to try & send her people to buy the car. IF one of her people buys it, she will get $50.00 from you guys. (It's called Bird-Doggin')

If they come to YOUR house- do all the same as above, but be good hosts & invite them inside after 15 minutes.
Why? To take them AWAY from the car! the more they look, the more they will find faults with the car. Ya can't the car in the house, so take them. Offer coffee, soda, cookies, whatever. Be friendly, but not intrusive, into stuff not your business.

You MUST control! You MUST be in control of the sale. Once you lose control....you have also lost the sale.

Got it ?? Remember.... "Buyers are Liars"
Take whatever they tell you as a 1/2 truth.
ALWAYS leave the door open, for them to feel comfortable enough to call you again & make sure they have your tele #

Good Lick

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Got it ?? Remember.... "Buyers are Liars"
Take whatever they tell you as a 1/2 truth."

Is this somehow implying that sellers are not liars?

What about all of the BS that you have advised him to tell the prospective buyers?
avmtdan

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easier to hate your enemy before you eviscerate them. In this case, your enemy is walking around with your wallet and refusing to take your unwanted item off your hands.
1985 Motorsport Capri

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had a 2007 escape blow up at just under 100,000 miles. kept up, oils changed, great shape. 4 banger just sucked. worst part was the warranty just expired. actually, the worst part was that i still owed $7500 on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, take it back to a FORD dealer. There MAY BE a "silient warrantee on it. Now then, it may cover JUST certain parts or just labor or or or...
These are NOT advertised. Neither you nor I would know, unless we tried. You have nothing to lose, by trying. IF there IS a silent warrantee on it - make sure that you understand exactly what is & what is not covered, and get an estimate as to how much money it's going to take to get it running .....

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this somehow implying that sellers are not liars?
Not at all ! Sellers likewise lie, stretch the truth and / or leave out the negatives.

That is why it's money well spent, to take the car to an independent
tech for an opinion. Of course, he could be lying too and tell that it needs something, that it really does not - to aid and assist his wallet.
He gotta eat too.... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Sandy on Thu May 19, 2011 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO B.S. "Black-Mac" ~ ~

I took his words, refer to what the seller wrote.

"Loaded with every option"

"Exceptionally clean, inside and out"

"Priced below what it should sell for"

"Oil Changed every 3,000 Miles"

"Waxed every 6 months"

How do I know that's the truth ? I don't. Somewhere along ya gotta trust somebody..... I guess.....

In 90% of the population....people will want to buy a product - - but when push comes to shove, they try & back-out of it.

Think of a diving board. They climb the ladder, walk forward on thr board and then chicken out and walk back down - even tho they really wanted to take the plunge.
Same with buyers ! I, (now speaking for me) WOULD NEVER SELL A BUYER A BAD CAR. If the car had problems, I would tell the buyer and explain it in full.

It never pays to screw a buyer. You cannot make enough money on any buyer to overcome all the people he will tell that you screwed him.

I, personally HATED selling used cars. 95% have someting wrong with them. It's just trouble in the making.

#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you are/were the professional car salesman and I completely agree with you that it is never worth it to try to hide something about the product.
A few of rules that I follow, besides being honest, when selling anything are:
Be realistic about the price, too high or too low eliminates potential buyers.
Never be desperate to sell or buy.
State the facts about the product, then shut up.
Ask if anyone else has to be consulted before they can buy.
In the case of a car, ask if they brought the cash before letting them take a test drive.

Sandy, as far as the BS comment above, I was just pulling your chain a little. lol
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: