ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recaro Seats gotta go!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Recaro Seats gotta go! Reply with quote

I can't stand to look at my Recaros the way they are any longer.
Any ideas where I can get them restored back to original or at least close to original?
I know that it isn't going to be cheap, but the price on the McLaren Site is beyond my pocketbook
Ron
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leatherique has stuff to restore leather seats.

Or head over to an upholstery shop and get a quote.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
they are too far gone to restore the leather that's on them now.
They need recovered and there are no shops in our area who are willing to tackle re-covering Recaros.
That is why I asked if anyone on here had ideas where I could go besides buying from Hank.
Ron
mustang marty

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try this guy. He is in the Seattle ares aand they work almost exclusively on Recaros. He posted a Recaro thread on FEP

ron@jjcustominterior.com / 253-414-2117
hanksgt

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Recaro Seats gotta go! Reply with quote

I asked at some local car shows here in Phoenix when I needed the stock ASC seats redone. Found a local shop I liked and he offered vinyl or leather. I choose vinyl (based on price) and I think they came out great. Ask around your area.

#67 Black Mac' wrote:
I can't stand to look at my Recaros the way they are any longer.
Any ideas where I can get them restored back to original or at least close to original?
I know that it isn't going to be cheap, but the price on the McLaren Site is beyond my pocketbook
Ron

'89 ASC #176
'87 ASC #134
'85 GT
asc709

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank,

Do you have any pics of the seats recovered? Phoenix isn't too far for me to go and my drivers side seat has begun to split.

Thanks.
1988 ASC McLaren #709
hanksgt

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out cruising with 15 other 'Stangs today-went to dinner in Wickenburg. I posted a quick snapshot I just took over in the albums-under 1989 convertibles. I can take more Sunday in the daylight if you would like.

Had these done about 5 years ago by Bell Auto Upholstery, Bell Road, Phoenix, AZ. If you notice, I forgot to specify I wanted two tone blue like the originals. He didn't have an embroidery place at the time. Now he has a place and I paid for the creation of the correct ASC pattern. 2 years ago I had the embroidery added. He matched every seam & stitch, and even had the material punched with the proper size perforations in the seating surfaces. He offered me leather or vinyl. I choose the less expensive vinyl and have been very happy so far.
He has done another McLaren's complete interior and patched a friends original leather McLraren seats. He has also done tops on 3 other Mustang club members cars. All satisfied customers.

asc709 wrote:
Hank,

Do you have any pics of the seats recovered? Phoenix isn't too far for me to go and my drivers side seat has begun to split.

Thanks.

'89 ASC #176
'87 ASC #134
'85 GT

Last edited by hanksgt on Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#67 Black Mac' wrote:
there are no shops in our area who are willing to tackle re-covering Recaros

I simply don't believe this. There are always a few side alley upholstery shops that do good work in every major city and will recover anything you take them. You need to hunt around a bit.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
#67 Black Mac' wrote:
there are no shops in our area who are willing to tackle re-covering Recaros

I simply don't believe this. There are always a few side alley upholstery shops that do good work in every major city and will recover anything you take them. You need to hunt around a bit.

-Mike

Let me re-phrase it this way:
So far, I haven't been able to find any shops willing to re-cover Recaros in Des Moines.

I will check out some of the suggestions above. Phoenix is a long ways from here, but I assume that if I shipped the covers to them they could make a new copy of them & ship back to me.
Ron
hanksgt

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spoken to any local car guys to see who they use? If you check out some shops, usually you'll find someone you can work with.

I don't see why they couldn't copy yours and ship them. I know I don't want to try installing seat covers.

[quote="#67 Black Mac'"]
negusm wrote:
[quote="#67 Black

So far, I haven't been able to find any shops willing to re-cover Recaros in Des Moines.

I will check out some of the suggestions above. Phoenix is a long ways from here, but I assume that if I shipped the covers to them they could make a new copy of them & ship back to me.
Ron

'89 ASC #176
'87 ASC #134
'85 GT
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#67 Black Mac' wrote:

Des Moines is a huge city. There will be one there. The trick to finding some upholstery shops is that they don't advertise and are word of mouth only.

There is one down here in NC. The guy does wonderful work, will work on anything. But he's something of an ex-biker turned upholsterer, works out of a garage and he doesn't have a listing anywhere. We had a guy up in Sharon Springs NY of all places who did award winning upholstery and you could only find him through the local Model A club.

-Mike
CSMESP

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Upholstery Reply with quote

Just ran across your posting. I just had the seats, door panels and armrest redone by a shop in St Paul. He did an excellent job at a reasonable price.. If you are interested in the info, Very Happy let me know. edprice@centurylink.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: