ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to sell a vehicle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, my chain was broken in July of 1984 Rolling Eyes

I like this one:
Ask if anyone else has to be consulted before they can buy.

I used that once, when I had a real ball-braker and I was absolutely exhausted from a real tough cookie. Could not get him to commit to anything. Finally, at my wits end, I asked the highlighted, above.

HE turns to me and snaps "NOBODY, BUT NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO BUY OR WHAT NOT TO BUY!!! I WILL TAKE THE BUICK LeSABRE, HERE IS THE TWO THOUSAND DOLLERS YOU ARE ASKING AND I WILL COME GET IT TONITE, YOUNG MAN !!

( I was like 30, then & he was like 64. Now, I am 64. Wonder where he be. ???

You get to see the worst side of people in the new car showroom
Some of them are really nice, when 'ya get to know them.
(After they bought).

I finally got outta NEW cars and went to USED cars. You make more $$ and it is easier to push the credit through, as it is not as much $$$ as for a new car/truck.

So funny the differance between new car and new truck buyers.

New csr buyers are not sure, wnt to look sround m,ore, have to talk to "Uncle Joe" about it, have to read Consumer Reports, and so forth.

Truck Buyers ?? THEY WANT IT YESTERDAY NOW NOW NOW DAMN- IT I WNAT IT N O W GET IT? NOW !!!!!!

bIG DIFFERANCE BETWEEN BRAND SHOPPERS, TOO !!!

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... I am lretired now. Do I miiss it ? 'Ya, like I miss the flu !!

Seriously, I miss the many realy good customers I had. I had a good number of very nice people over the years. Some even remembered me at Christmas and/or Chanukkah. That really surprised me.
I got a few bottles, too - but I am not a "drinker" and served them mostly to friends/family.
You tend to remember the really
nice customers, and the real ball-breakers. I do miss getting a new free car every year, with free registration AND license plates. I also got 3 free gallons of gas for my free car for every retail sale of a NEW car/truck. I almost never had to buy gas. But....they do not do that, anymore....anywhere!
The best to sell is where they have TRUCKS, Chevy or Ford or Dodge!
I was always with Dodge or I.C.P.

shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
You are having a hard time, because you are not properly qualifying the tele. callers. Keep them on the phone, longer and be up front with them, but DO NOT introduce the mileage in the beginning. Also....you are letting them hang up, too soon. You are allowing the caller to control the tele. call. Let them control on the phione - but in person, you must control.Not them.! If you are not in control, you will never sell it.

Okay? Here's how

Be businesslike & professional. Refer to your self as "Mr. Brown
not Tommy. Assure them that you are a private seller. (They are calling YOU, because they are scared tulips of us dealers.

Describe the car. Stay the hell off of price, UNTIL you finish with the car.
Remember..... you are selling A CAR - you are not selling a PRICE. They cannort driive "a price"
Now then..
On the phone you tell them how good the car is, the options that you paid for, and the good care you have given it.
Wet their interest, but do not overload them....YET (comes latrer...)

ON THE PHONE....(you are now going to weed out the timid)..You tell them the mileage and explain the much of it was over the road, at cruising speeds. Tell how reliable it is, and how you have kept up with the reccomened servicing. Tell them what the SUV will do for them,
such as it's hiogh visibility and the command center and great visibbility and the ease of driving it due to sitting up higher .
Listen to the caller. He will tell you what his fears are, thereby allowing YOU to put them to rest !
If he/she cannot come to you, and if it's not too far, take it to them.
TAKE YOUR WIFE.....if you go to the caller's place.
Wifes make friends with his eife over silly siht like plants, fish in the hiouse or their pets.... this makes the buyer's wife relax that you are good, trusting folks. Face facks, 90% of it all is Prime B.S. !

ASK for a Deposit, because other folks have called to see in this coming week. (It don't matter how much.....it's all about getting a committment !!! Mentally !!!!!!!!!

You pont out all of the good featurrs, and the care the SUV has had and how it's the LIMITED and the top of the line.....and how the top of the line hold its value better than the "cheapee"!!

If he gives you a low ball offer, just say "Oh, could not sell her for that, because we both know it's worth more - - but I might meet you half way, if your lovely wife wanrs it.......

3/4s of the way thru....you can tell this by watching the MAN...he'll seemingly begin looking around, like he has lost his dog....

ASK for a deposit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell that you have had other callers, and they are coming. But to take away the pressure, tell him thr you & the wife are going across the street to get a coke and will be in a monent or two....AND GO !!!
This leaves them to discuss it in private!!!
When you return - they will tell you whatthey will do. DO NOT ASK !!!
Sell the car. Not the price. rhey are buying a car - they are NOT buying "a price".

What ever happens, make sure they have your tele # and thank them for the opportunity of showing them you rcar. and make it souind sincere.

NEVER EVER agree to a chop in price. YOU MUST counter with a higher amouint - even if it's only $50 bucks more. Otherwise they will think "Geez, I offered too much. He grabbed my offer...I shoulda offered less.
Make him work, for the4 deal. He will work you- you can be sure of it.

Do not advertise on the weekend. Advertise mid week.
Everybody & his Mother advertises on the weekend. You be the odd man out. Advertise in your local newspaper.
Wife go to a hairdresser? Tell her to tell the hairdresser to try & send her people to buy the car. IF one of her people buys it, she will get $50.00 from you guys. (It's called Bird-Doggin')

If they come to YOUR house- do all the same as above, but be good hosts & invite them inside after 15 minutes.
Why? To take them AWAY from the car! the more they look, the more they will find faults with the car. Ya can't the car in the house, so take them. Offer coffee, soda, cookies, whatever. Be friendly, but not intrusive, into stuff not your business.

You MUST control! You MUST be in control of the sale. Once you lose control....you have also lost the sale.

Got it ?? Remember.... "Buyers are Liars"
Take whatever they tell you as a 1/2 truth.
ALWAYS leave the door open, for them to feel comfortable enough to call you again & make sure they have your tele #

Good Lick

wow Sandy. Thats alot to take in. File that under "Selling 101". I appreciate the advice on that, but you overestimate how much I get to converse with potential buyers. I do try to "sell" it and I tell them that they need to come see how NICE it is, but all they care about is the miles.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Jason, take it back to a FORD dealer. There MAY BE a "silient warrantee on it. Now then, it may cover JUST certain parts or just labor or or or...
These are NOT advertised. Neither you nor I would know, unless we tried. You have nothing to lose, by trying. IF there IS a silent warrantee on it - make sure that you understand exactly what is & what is not covered, and get an estimate as to how much money it's going to take to get it running .....

OH, I did forget to mention that this was purchased as a Certified Pre-owned vehicle with a warranty up to 100,000. DAMN.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
NO B.S. "Black-Mac" ~ ~

I took his words, refer to what the seller wrote.

"Loaded with every option"

"Exceptionally clean, inside and out"

"Priced below what it should sell for"

"Oil Changed every 3,000 Miles"

"Waxed every 6 months"

How do I know that's the truth ? I don't. Somewhere along ya gotta trust somebody..... I guess.....

I, personally HATED selling used cars. 95% have someting wrong with them. It's just trouble in the making.

All of the above is true about the vehicle, it really is excellent.

I hope your 95% number isn't true though! Nothing that I know of anyway. And actually I've done very well thru the years buying 1-2 year old cars. I know people have gotten lemons that way, but it pays to examine it closely and go look at many to compare.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
#67 Black Mac'

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote: (edited) "I finally got outta NEW cars and went to USED cars. You make more $$ and it is easier to push the credit through, as it is not as much $$$ as for a new car/truck.

So funny the difference between new car and new truck buyers.

New car buyers are not sure, want to look around more, have to talk to "Uncle Joe" about it, have to read Consumer Reports, and so forth."
That is exactly what my dad said was the reason that he quit new car sales & sold used cars for 25 years.
His best friend worked as a new car salesman at the same dealership. It was a work of art watching them refer really indecisive buyers back and forth to each other.
shelbyscarab, sorry I didn't mean to hyjack your thread---I hope you are able to make the sale soon.
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder in your area if salespersonal and managers have the same slang "Language "speak" that is so imbetted in the logo here in New Jersey, New York and Pensy?

"On Monday, at noon, I have a date with Sherlock Holmes."
(means on Monday he has a new car delivery !)
....because the new car buyer will spend 60 minutes going over the new car seeking imperfections to gripe abouve.

Gotta take him to the blood bank.....

Buyer has not got the ample down payment to enable to get him a loan. He has to borrow the down payment , in order to get a loan.
Blood bank is like 28-33 percent

"Do you think he will play basketball?"
(Sandy is NOT going into that one...

RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
You are having a hard time, because you are not properly qualifying the tele. callers. Keep them on the phone, longer and be up front with them, but DO NOT introduce the mileage in the beginning. Also....you are letting them hang up, too soon. You are allowing the caller to control the tele. call. Let them control on the phione - but in person, you must control.Not them.! If you are not in control, you will never sell it.

Okay? Here's how

Be businesslike & professional. Refer to your self as "Mr. Brown
not Tommy. Assure them that you are a private seller. (They are calling YOU, because they are scared tulips of us dealers.

Describe the car. Stay the hell off of price, UNTIL you finish with the car.
Remember..... you are selling A CAR - you are not selling a PRICE. They cannort driive "a price"
Now then..
On the phone you tell them how good the car is, the options that you paid for, and the good care you have given it.
Wet their interest, but do not overload them....YET (comes latrer...)

ON THE PHONE....(you are now going to weed out the timid)..You tell them the mileage and explain the much of it was over the road, at cruising speeds. Tell how reliable it is, and how you have kept up with the reccomened servicing. Tell them what the SUV will do for them,
such as it's hiogh visibility and the command center and great visibbility and the ease of driving it due to sitting up higher .
Listen to the caller. He will tell you what his fears are, thereby allowing YOU to put them to rest !
If he/she cannot come to you, and if it's not too far, take it to them.
TAKE YOUR WIFE.....if you go to the caller's place.
Wifes make friends with his eife over silly siht like plants, fish in the hiouse or their pets.... this makes the buyer's wife relax that you are good, trusting folks. Face facks, 90% of it all is Prime B.S. !

ASK for a Deposit, because other folks have called to see in this coming week. (It don't matter how much.....it's all about getting a committment !!! Mentally !!!!!!!!!

You pont out all of the good featurrs, and the care the SUV has had and how it's the LIMITED and the top of the line.....and how the top of the line hold its value better than the "cheapee"!!

If he gives you a low ball offer, just say "Oh, could not sell her for that, because we both know it's worth more - - but I might meet you half way, if your lovely wife wanrs it.......

3/4s of the way thru....you can tell this by watching the MAN...he'll seemingly begin looking around, like he has lost his dog....

ASK for a deposit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell that you have had other callers, and they are coming. But to take away the pressure, tell him thr you & the wife are going across the street to get a coke and will be in a monent or two....AND GO !!!
This leaves them to discuss it in private!!!
When you return - they will tell you whatthey will do. DO NOT ASK !!!
Sell the car. Not the price. rhey are buying a car - they are NOT buying "a price".

What ever happens, make sure they have your tele # and thank them for the opportunity of showing them you rcar. and make it souind sincere.

NEVER EVER agree to a chop in price. YOU MUST counter with a higher amouint - even if it's only $50 bucks more. Otherwise they will think "Geez, I offered too much. He grabbed my offer...I shoulda offered less.
Make him work, for the4 deal. He will work you- you can be sure of it.

Do not advertise on the weekend. Advertise mid week.
Everybody & his Mother advertises on the weekend. You be the odd man out. Advertise in your local newspaper.
Wife go to a hairdresser? Tell her to tell the hairdresser to try & send her people to buy the car. IF one of her people buys it, she will get $50.00 from you guys. (It's called Bird-Doggin')

If they come to YOUR house- do all the same as above, but be good hosts & invite them inside after 15 minutes.
Why? To take them AWAY from the car! the more they look, the more they will find faults with the car. Ya can't the car in the house, so take them. Offer coffee, soda, cookies, whatever. Be friendly, but not intrusive, into stuff not your business.

You MUST control! You MUST be in control of the sale. Once you lose control....you have also lost the sale.

Got it ?? Remember.... "Buyers are Liars"
Take whatever they tell you as a 1/2 truth.
ALWAYS leave the door open, for them to feel comfortable enough to call you again & make sure they have your tele #

Good Lick
WOW Sandy is that straight out of Joe Verde?
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard of Joe Verdi. Who is he ?
Whomever....no it's straight outta ME !

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.joeverde.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably in alot of "How-To-Sell books. I just adopted it from other "seasoned" salemen.

Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit selling cars, because I began HATING people! I was fed up with the haggling, the B.S. from the buyers and the B.S. from y mangerment, and the God-alfull loooooooooooong hours of 9-9 M-F and 9-6 on Saturday.
No life at all, just sell cars. I was single, in my 20s and I wanted a life.
Most highway mega huge 500 cars in stock are Mafia owned and they treat salesmen like crap and yell & scream at us and bitch and moan and
I was raised to be a proper, well spoken man who does not use profanity.

They cheated me on my commissions, they cheater my customers, they treated all of us salespeople like owned slaves. 3 words for them.....
I LEFT. (and) I ever regretted it. (and) I buy my cars now from the smallest teeny tiny dealer that I can find.

shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, can't believe this thread is still alive!

I used to think it would've been fun/more interesting to me to be in the car business. Never went thru with it, glad I didn't. I sometimes see the perks and good times from friends in the car & boat biz, but I've realized I don't see the bad things/bad times that outnumber the good by a wide margin.....

I think it might have been better in the 60s/70s/80s....... just a guess.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It went bad in the late 1960s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: