ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here it is...all togther

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Here it is...all togther Reply with quote

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4049

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the 87+ cars could get the B303 cam since it wasn't a good cam for EFI cars.

I though it was the E303 that was more compatible with 87+ EFI. If anything they might put that in. Since no one really has remarked that their 87+ cars run differently than stock Mustangs, I really wonder if they did the Cam after 86.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, that is a very good rundown. Ford did a ton of work for asc.

Was the Whistler Radar detector an option after 86? I thought they were only on 84-86 cars?

I wonder if some of this list applies to the Capris?

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they ycarried over the remaining rader units into 1987, until stock ran out. SO, you do have some 1987s with that option.

Yes it was the E303. It was my typo. Could you please fix it for me !!
" Ford did a ton of work for asc.""Yes, and that is why I get myself all upset when someone calls them "Aftermarket"

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed it!
1985 Motorsport Capri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff.

i didnt see anything about the LX mules being fitted with a gt front header panel, or ASC adding there front plastic "grill".
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see that either. Somebody left it out. at asc.

1985 Motorsport Capri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would think that ford fitted the cars with the gt front end on the line & asc added there grill moulding in livonia.
85McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E-303 is worse for a speed desity car than the B-303 believe it or not. The lobe separation is 110 for the E-303. I have had a capri with a mass air conversion with an E-303, and I can tell you the 87 and up mclarens do not have this cam in them.

Jason
EDIT FROM SANDY - I WENT; I LOOKED & I COULD NOT TELL,
SO I CALLED THER MAN BACK HE SWEARS THEY GOT B 303

[quote="negusm"]I didn't think the 87+ cars could get the B303 cam since it wasn't a good cam for EFI cars.

I though it was the E303 that was more compatible with 87+ EFI. If anything they might put that in. Since no one really has remarked that their 87+ cars run differently than stock Mustangs, I really wonder if they did the Cam after 86.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cars were speed density?

I thought 86 cars were. Did they go to mass air in 87 or later?

If it's later, maybe they did use the B303 after 87 but dropped it altogether after mass air came out.

I really think none of the 87+ cars got a cam. There enough of those cars running around and being modified that we would have had someone verify it. Most guys have also had both regular Mustangs as well as an ascMcLaren and they would have noticed.

With the 85s/86s it seems like there is some substantiated claims of B303 cams in the coupes but even then, it seems many owners didn't think their cars got it then either.

One guy who was selling an original 85 coupe engine with the B303 said he noticed a huge difference after he opened up the exhaust. Way more than a stock 5.0.

-Mike
85McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mass air came out in 1989 for 49 states, 88 for CA cars.

No cam during that till 89 would run correctly with speed density (86-88, 86-87 CA cars).

Most of the time - a factory mass air car is slower than a factory 87-88 speed density cars. Mass air was used for emissions. Ford also made a mistake by putting a 55 mm mass air meter on them. Therefore that was the smallest part in the intake track to the intake manifold. The speed density had a straight shot to the 60mm throttle body to the intake. Therefore the 60mm trottle body on the 89-93 was pointless.

I have an 88 vert and have heard 4 other 87-88 verts. None of what I have heard yet has had anything but the factory cam. The factory roller cam came from the 1985 5 spd roller till mid 88 when ford changed the specs a little on the cam. They actually got worse later. The factory 85-mid88 cams were the best.

The factory 85 mustang would get a major increase just by adding a true dual exhaust since they used a single exhaust in the mid-pipe. Has nothing to do with it being a mclaren.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85McLaren wrote:

The factory 85 mustang would get a major increase just by adding a true dual exhaust since they used a single exhaust in the mid-pipe. Has nothing to do with it being a mclaren.

True, but his statement was something like "you could really hear the lope after the exhaust upgrade".

Maybe it was nothing afterall.

-Mike
85McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion - that is actually what it was - just a sound....
BUT as I will admit - I have never and will never see every Mclaren from 87-90 that exists. I only state what I have been experienced with.... BUT if ever in doubt - listen to Mustangs of the same venue and you will hear the same.... (in my opinion).

Jason
RareFox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently had a great opportunity to drive a stone-stock, triple-black, flawless collector quality (Sandy would love it) 17,000 mile '88 LX 5.0 ragtop (5-speed of course!) back-to-back with my McLaren. Both are speed density cars. My impressions were of identical power, idle quality, throttle response, etc. Dreams of having a factory installed 303-series cam.... shattered. With the owners blessing, I layed into it. In a drag race it would've come down to driver skill. The cars were the same.

Will say my car might have had a performance aftermarket clutch installed at some point in its past as I was stunned how easy to push the original clutch is on the Black car. Over time I've gotten used to the heavy pedal and without something to immediately compare to, never realized anything out of the ordinary. The bonus is I now have an incredibly muscular left leg. Cool Anyhow, there's an additional 2-cents added to the topic. My vote is that there were no mods done to the drivetrain on the '87-'90 model cars.
No blood in these veins... thats Mobil-1~!!
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY, I BOW TO GANG PRESSURE. I WAS TOLD - BY MORE THAN ONE GUY, THAT THEY HAD THE B-303 CAM. UNTIL SOMEBODY TAKES HIS APART AND CONFIRMS A 303 IN THERE AND IT WAS THE FIRST TIME IT'S BEEN OUT, I WILL KEEP 303 OFF. IF LATER CONFIRMED, I WILL ADD IT BACK IN. YOU ARE A TOUGH CROWD. Smile
SANDY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: