ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help With Loss Of Power To Pull Down Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystalstyx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Need Help With Loss Of Power To Pull Down Switch Reply with quote

Good Morning,

I am new to the board and would like to thank you for taking the time to make this happen and for letting me join.

I have a 1987 McLaren Mustang and have lost power to the switch for the pulldown motor and tonneau cover.

The fuses are all good and I didn't see any external fuses that were bad either. Does anyone know if there is a circuit breaker or relay hidden somewhere that I could look for?

I did find about (4) or (5) Bosch relays under the dash but have no idea if any of these is the culprit. Previous owner had a Viper alarm installed and under the dash and behind the kick panel is a rats nest of wires. (Next Project) Laughing Laughing

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone might be able to provide.

Best regards,
Mike
mustang marty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I found on my 85... Hope this helps...

I found two relays in the pull down circuit. One was in the trunk and one was in the dash. The one in the dash of my car was fried, which prevented the operation of the pulldown. I assume these may fail often enough that Hank lists them on his site for $75

Power to the pulldown is provided by rear window defrost circuit. The wire is gray w/ yellow stripe. It is a big 10-12 gauge wire so you shouldn't miss it in the trunk. It came down the drivers side of the car of mine. I would check to see if there is power on this wire with a test light or volt meter. If there is no power check the fuse/circuit breaker for the rear defrost. If it is ok, then you will need to locate where the defrost wire terminates in the dash. Mine was behind the heater control panel, but on the 87-up the heater control and defrost are in different locations.

Behind my heater control panel, I located the relay. I was able to crack it open and saw that the a trace on the circuit board was burned off.

There are some schematics on Hank's site:
http://www.ascmclaren.com/general.htm
These are for the 87-up cars, but were very relevent to my 85. They only list the one relay in the dash and not the second on that I had found in the trunk, so I don't know if the 87-up have a trunk relay or not...

This is what the relay looks like....
http://www.ascmclaren.com/PARTS/New%20Folder/blkboxrelay.jpg
Crystalstyx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Really appreciate your help. Will be under the dash tonight. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: