ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PICTURES ARE UP !!! !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: PICTURES ARE UP !!! !!! Reply with quote

OKAY, THE PICTURES ARE UP, FOR YOU VIEWING PLEASURE
THEY ARE UNDER "OTHER" IN THE ALBUM SECTION, COURTESY OF "COBRAJEFF" ! THE ONLY CAPRI SIMULATED CONVERTIBLE, ASC MC LAREN.
Jeff is working on finding out further info on this, as am I. Be sure to pay close attention to the details !

Charles - note those headlight horizontal black plastic "slats" !!

Thank, Jeff !

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY interesting....but I just gotta play DEVIL'S ADVOCATE here.

Explain to me how the car above is the same one as the abused car in Florida....or is it not supposed to be?

The car in Florida had a different hood (from a turbo car), weird mouldings and I don't think he top was anywhere near as crazy as the one posted (plus it is green not black).

Is the one above in the pictures is an 83 or 1980?

Cmon...gimme details!

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Euro#13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

So this car is NOT an asc/McLaren?
Looks nice though.

I do remember those headlight "louvers", I used to sell a bunch them. Laughing
They are plastic frames that are attached to each headlight via four metal clips.
I haven't seen any of those in probably 12 years or so, they don't look too bad on that black car.

There was also a company that sold more of a true louver that would go in the headlight bucket of the eighties Mustang's & Camaro's. I recall seeing them advertised in the magazines but I only remember seeing one or two cars on the street that had them.

Those photos were taken at the Shelby club sponsored Dearborn show that is held each year in June at the Ford World Headquarters parking lot. Usually a very nice show with a wide variety of FLM's, not huge but nice.

Brent
Former owner of EuroCoupe #13
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5-speed; 1 of 7,860
1971 Ford Ranchero; 1 of 2,595
Hi-Jumper mid-engine sandrail w/2.3 turbo
Euro#13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after looking at the pictures more, I am confused, is this car even a convertible or is it a modified Mustang coupe that has been made to look like an asc/McLaren SC?

Brent
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is void of any & all nameplates, so I don't know WHAT it's suppossed to be. However the display sign that it was displayed with stated that it was a 1980 Mercury Capri ascMcLaren Prototype.

The Green car in Florida also has the identical headlamp louvers as does this car. I have never seen them on any other Capri. I spoke with a contact via phone who was with ascMcLaren during 1982-1990 yesterday and he toldme that "Several of the prototypes we built were equiped with them; but none of the production cars, due to individual states lighting laws." Continuing, he stated, "If the car(s) in question are pre-1984 & have these {slats} on the headlights, & they are McLarens, you can be sure that they were part of the prototype program".

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The key to the Green Car in Florida is exactly what was done to it as a prototype.

Was it built later than the above mock-up? And then later retrofitted with 85 parts by asc or a subsequant owner?

So there is a bit more credence to it being a 1983 prototype....just alot more questions though.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXACTLY > BINGO

I am pretty sure that the Turbo Hood Scoop has a good chance of being added by a later owner. Perhaps the paint color, too. It has a Power Antenna. ascMcLaren flirted with Pwr. Antenna(s) on & off, here & there.
The Green car in Fla. is a 1983, this one here is a 1980.

The herewith pictured car IS definately a Mercury Capri, and NOT a Mustang, from "birth" The front end is stock ('cept for the headlight louvers) and the sides are pretty much stock and do have the rear upper fender "blister" ~ likewise they are Capri Tailamps. The original roof was obviously cut at the top windshield header, saving the "A" pillar. The remainder along with the hatch &rear window were tossed.
When and if Jeff gets to speak with the owner in more detail (as promissed) we may learn more. It's certasinly an interesting car, and **NO** it's NOT 4-Sale.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
The original roof was obviously cut at the top windshield header, saving the "A" pillar. The remainder along with the hatch &rear window were tossed.

The first thing I thought was that they chopped it AFTER the B Pillars.

Look again. The doors still have their window "frames". The stock courtesy light is still in the headliner. The car's windshield was never raked back so it still sports unmodified hatchback doors and glass.

The car was chopped AFTER the B-Pillars. Look at the inside where the material covering the rear window mates up against the roof and has that big seam. I bet that is about where it was cut.

It would be muuuuch easier to make a mock up this way than taking off the whole roof and then having to strengthen the body.

Maybe its me but if you look you can see (in the second picture) a slight color change in the top behind the B pillar which goes from one side to the other.

-Mike
ASCMCLRN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thing is if it was originally a Capri hatchback how did they get the sheetmetal to cover were our toneau back is? It sounds like more work then taking a notchback and adding on fender flairs. These wheels were stock on Mustangs early GT's then later LX, did Capris ever share this type? Is this part of prototype or aftermarket? Steering wheel wonder if that was part of the prototype or aftermarket.

I always thought the ASC Mclaren should have an inside headliner much like the Convertible Lebaron's of the same time. Makes a much cleaner look. This hardtop reminds me of that.

-Nick
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASCMCLRN wrote:
My thing is if it was originally a Capri hatchback how did they get the sheetmetal to cover were our toneau back is?

They would have had to do that anyway even if they used a notch. The rear window of the notch goes all the way back to the trunk (on this car, there is a wide gap between rear window and trunk)...so they would have had to remove the rear section anyways and do some metal work back there.

-Mike
Euro#13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Mike,

The B-Pillar is still there, you can also see that the seatbelts are still mounted on it.
Which makes me ask again, is this car an actual convertible?
If it is an actual prototype car, could it possibly be a less expensive to make styling exercise or a dummy mock-up to see what the convertible would look like with the top up?

Nick,

The 15" 10-hole wheels are definitely not stock to this car, they didn't appear until 1985.
They were used on the Capri RS in '85 & '86, as well as other Ford & Mercury products until 1993.

Brent
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro#13 wrote:
Which makes me ask again, is this car an actual convertible?
If it is an actual prototype car, could it possibly be a less expensive to make styling exercise or a dummy mock-up to see what the convertible would look like with the top up?

I think you are 100% Correct. It is definitely NOT a convertible....just a mock up (Sandy did say "simulated").

-Mike
Euro#13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
I think you are 100% Correct. It is definitely NOT a convertible....just a mock up (Sandy did say "simulated").

-Mike

OK, I went back and re-read his initial post. (slower this time Embarassed ) I guess I scanned over it and took it as meaning it was a re-production of an asc/McLaren convertible.

Now it makes more sense to me, thanks Mike.

Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: