ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brakes advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Brakes advice Reply with quote

K. its time to replace the rotors and pads on my Fusion. Its my business daily driver and unfortunately gets quite a few miles per year on it.

What is the verdict on slotted/drilled rotors vs. std.

and

an "autozone" quality brake pad vs. say "Hawk" brake pads?
1988 ASC McLaren #688
86ASCCoupe20

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is use centric pads and their top of the line coated rotors. We sell them at work and have incredibly good luck.
1986 ASC Mclaren coupe #20 of 114.
Black with gray interior and stripes.
65,227 miles. Pop up sunroof car.
302 5 speed.
85asc239

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both slotted and drilled rotors and plain rotors on the track. My verdict= drilled rotors didnt work any better on track and started to spider web around the holes after two track days. Standard rotors last better.

Short answer: plain rotors win drilled and slotted are for looks

Pads: you answered your own question. You drive a lot of miles, you can't beat a lifetime warranty on pads.

I use AZ premium pads on my truck. The work great on the dd/tow truck. Had to swap them out when caliper went bad.

The cobra has hawk pads on it. The last a 1 to 1-1/2 seasons on the car, then I have to spend an $100 on pads Confused

Jeremy
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you head over to "corner carvers" they will tell you straight out that slotted/drilled rotors were only for the older pads (like from the 70's) that would fade because of poor materials that couldn't handle heat.

A solid rotor has more mass which equates to more heat dissipation and better performance.

From what I have seen reading the controversy, there are a few exceptions in the super car category but those are manufactured very differently so as to reduce cracking. When you push rotors to the point of failure, the slotted/drileld rotors will destroy themselves along the weakest areas (slots/holes).

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lifetime warranty" from the McParts store doesn't mean a damn thing to me when the parts are "cheap" (not the same as "inexpensive") to begin with

I would buy Wagner or Bendix pads with standard rotors
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

I'm going with the standard rotor design

Is the Ford rotor better than what I'd get at autozone? and how much better if any considering the price?
1988 ASC McLaren #688
svo413

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

For most cars good standard parts will go a long way. Some cars have problems that need to attended to. My 95 Contour would go thru pads until I started using the lifetime warranty Ford pads. My 02 truck would warp the rotors.

I asked the brake company reps at Sema and they all admitted today's drilled and slotted rotors are for looks. There are differences in rotors. I went with Centric top of the line Power Slot rotors and ordered them cryo treated. So far no warped rotors and I just returned from a 1500 mile trailer towing trip. I also use ceramic pads because I hate to clean the wheels.

Sometimes even Motorcraft parts are not good enough
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest confusion I see in the Rotor debate is that there ARE drilled/slotted rotors that are better than el-cheapie rotors that even come stock on cars. So someone ditches their crappy factory rotors for high priced drilled slotted ones and sure, they see an improvement.

But a really good quality standard design rotor is supposed to outperform its drilled/slotted counterpart.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
avmtdan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal feeling on the lifetime warranty brakes is this, pads are designed to give, and that the softer friction material may not last as long, but it grabs better and is quieter. With a lifetime warranty pad the manufacturer has no reason to make them quiet or to make them grip, as the concern is that you never have to bring them back to be replaced.

The few times I have used lifetime warranty pads, by the time they needed replacement the rotors were so grooved and eaten up that the rotors needed replacing to.

MY Ford brakes on my 98 mustang lasted about 100k with rotors and pads, I currently have 280k miles on the car and have changed the front and rear brakes twice total, and the rotors have always been turnable.

My 96 Explorer I used cheap pads and rotors from Autozone, the rotors became warped within months and needed a returning, and the pads chewed them up so bad that within a year I replaced both of them and went back to for OEM.

Mileage-wise, the OEM stuff works better and lasts longer, and when you figure in wear they are cheaper in the long run. The car manufacturers need queit brakes that will provide smooth, consistent braking and will not wear out before the vehicles warranty expires. There is a definite incentive for them to choose quality rather than cheap on these parts.
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: