ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

manual lowering of top?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabalo7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: manual lowering of top? Reply with quote

greetings,
new member.very glad to find this site. thanks in advance for any help offered. after 3 years of trouble free ownership, my 88 vert has lost power to pull down. am i missing something with regard to manually lowering top? the tonneau releases but the pull down screw on the bow remains attached. help, my 11yr. old is wanting her cool ride to swim practice.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome...try the following links for some info...hopefully it may help.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=485&highlight=pull+motor

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=471&highlight=pull+motor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Crystalstyx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sabalo,

Boy did you come in at the right time. Can pretty much answer all your questions since I just went through this.

If you want to manually release the pulldown screw. Inside the car, dead middle on the bottom you will see a plate with two nuts, (bolts) undo them and the screw will release.
mustang marty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that time a year; Everyone want's their top down. Mine's stuck in the garage with bad rearend. Crying or Very sad I need to find time to fix...
sabalo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

wow! the how-to on a temp. fix and the info for a proper repair. thanks to all!!
jeremymccurdy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm,
do those liks only apply to 85's? I know the second one does not apply to 88's.
Crystalstyx,
I thought about that but the interiot plastic tonneau cover is right in the way of ther removal, no? Did you take that out, or just gouge it up in the removal process?
I'm even thinking of resorting to using a cut-off wheel to cut the screw and then if I ever get the motor rebuilt (the "release" direction is nearlt dead. The pull"down" direction spins like a top!), I'll weld it back on.
But it's unacceptable to own a collectible convertible that doesn't "convert".
88 Asc McLaren Mustang #1035
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea...I do not own a vert...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
mustang marty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremymccurdy,

It sounds like you have a broken gear in the pull down motor if it just spins and spins.

The tonneau cover won't release if the trunk is open or the interlock 'thinks' the trunk is open. The 88 is a bit different than my 85, but the schematics at ascmaclaren.com should show you how the interlock is wired. They are for an 87 and they matched my 85 wiring by 95%

Both are just educated guesses on what could be causing the problem. Once I get some more room, I'll need to pick up a 87-90 version.... LOL!
jeremymccurdy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty,
I'm sorry, when I said "spin", I meant that it actually does turn, enabling the screw to be pulled down or released. SO it works, just not all the time.
Today, i had enough, so I just unbolted the screw from the top, while the screw was still stuck inside the motor w/ the top closed. Even after I did that and can now open and close the top, the motor STILL won't turn and release the screw. I think it's just fried. For the time being I can "hook" the edge of the top under the bolts that are still stuck in the screw plate, which is stuck in the motor...
Oh well...
The joys of owning a "special interest" car that has one-off (or at-least unavailable) parts...

And also, the tonneau will still pop, but will not if the trunk is open, so the wiring in that regard is still functional!
88 Asc McLaren Mustang #1035
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: