ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandy.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlyons13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As close in distance as we were, and for as many times we spoke over the years, we only met face to face once. Spent a day with Sandy and Karen, going over each one of his McLarens, the history of each, what he did right, what he did wrong, etc. And boy did he love his auto gadgets. I was one for the stripped down auto. He practiically giggled while showing me how he could remotely open and close the trunk of his car! And how I loved rubbing in that picture they took of him for the magazine years ago. In the years I editted the SVT Cobra Owners Assoc newsletter, Sandy gave me the best feedback I ever received, and probably the best complements. I always thought I'd see him again one of these years.

If anything is published in the local papers, I'll post up the information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
86capriasc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sandy you will be missed. RIP.

Sad

I would have loved to bring 108 out to meet 109 some day.
1986 ASCMclaren #108
stock E7 short block, explorer intake, 65mm TB, home built Gt45 turbo kit, 3.08s, Borla cat-back, '05 slot maf, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, E85, Qaurterhorse tuner.
eeprete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sad day indeed. RIP Sandy. He was a huge asset whose contributions were immeasurable.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put a small page together, for future enthusiasts to understand just how much he meant/means to the asc community. There are not many pictures of him though.

These were taken when I met the legend in 2010. Almost exactly 2 years ago to his passing.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/IMG_2476.JPG
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/IMG_2477.JPG
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/MVI_2483.AVI
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/MVI_2484.AVI

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/

I will be traveling up to the NE this weekend. I would like to go pay my respects as well.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
85asc239

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: rip Reply with quote

RIP..

You will be remembered.

Enjoy your cruise with the top down
mustang marty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Sandy on the phone the first time in around 1998 soon after he had setup his ASC McLaren page on Webspawner. He sent me a typewriter typed document with Capri and ASC McLaren information to help me correct some of the info that I had on my website that I had started a couple of years before. At the time I had yet to own a one of these cars, in fact only knew of them due to rare sightings, but he was willing to talk and share information.

Sandy will be greatly missed in the community. He was a shining example to the hobby.

My deepest condolences to his wife Karen and his son Mathew
ChuckG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone who kept these cars alive for so long? Almost forgotten, Sandy kept the fire and allowed us all a place to share our love of them.

I talked to him first in about 1997. A long conversation, actually. I was one of the few to have each coupe new it appears and my second, identical to Sandy's '86, save my sunroof, until ASC swapped me into a silver stripe/Anthracite wheel set.

Thanks Sandy!

My thought and prayers are with his loved ones.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply can't grasp this right now. First and foremost my deepest sympathy to his family. I stumbled on this site late last year and had purchased my 88 ASC and had sooo many unanswered questions regarding my car. I reluctantly sent Sandy an email (expecting not to get an answer back) and was I ever wrong! Sandy replied within minutes! He answered all my questions and then some. I can't say enough about the man he was one class act. I know I am still a newbie here but it feels like I am connected to ALL of you. It's like you are all my extended family. The owning of one of these cars breaks every barrier whether you're rich,poor,black,white it don't matter. We all share the love for some of the most revered cars ever. I know you (Sandy) are sitting up there looking down on all of us smiling but don't worry my friend I, as well as all of us ASC McLaren enthusiasts, will honor your memory as well as your contributions and keep your dream alive. RIP my friend you will be sorely missed by everyone
hanksgt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to the family. He will be missed. I called Sandy for advice on buying my '89 in 1999, and he suggested to go buy it and I did and have loved every minute of ownership. God Speed Sandy. Thank you.
'89 ASC #176
'87 ASC #134
'85 GT
Larry d

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Friend Sandy Reply with quote

I have been in contact with Sandy for over twenty years and this is the hardest typing I have ever done.
Sandy made me feel he had known me all our lives talking about family and cars. We didn't meet in person but were good friends. He not only knew all about asc McLaren but answered and knew all about the Capri Crimson Cat I bought. That was in early 90's and our friendship grew thru the years.
Living in Eastern Oregon it has been a very long friendship but a good one.
RIP MY FRIEND SANDY, you have made this a much better world you will be missed very much
My sorrow to Karen and Mat
Larry Dixon
tfs2121

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom S. wrote:
rlyons13 wrote:
Have arrangements been made? I am local and would like to pay my respects

Hi Bob, Sorry but I don't know. Since I'm not near there I didn't think to ask. I'll make a call when I can if you'd like.

To everyone else I'm sure Sandy would appreciate the remembrances. Keep them coming.

Hi Tom. It is Jewish tradition to have a funeral with in 24 hours of passing. Usually there is 7 days of shiva for friends and family to gather and pray. This shiva usually has lots of food provided by friends. I would like to help with this. I dont even know if there will be shiva since sandy always said all his family was gone but his wife and son. Does anyone know what sandy rabbis name is? Or what synagogue he was a member of?
n20capri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this sucks! Condolences to his family and friends. RIP Sandy!

I first talked to Sandy 18 years ago when I got #026! And as most of you have exchanged numerous emails and message board posts with him regarding our cars - and just cars in general.

It's amazing to not have ever personally "met" someone but to feel like you have known them forever. He will be missed for sure!
86 AscMcLaren Capri Coupe - #026 | 11.4@118 | 290/322
86 9L SVO
www.mikemartinelli.com
www.baldguydesigns.net

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Album
19cobra93

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chatted with Sandy many times about my ASC as well. Such a selfless man. He will certainly be missed, along with his almost infinite knowledge. Peace be with him.

2005 Mustang GT
Supercharged
n20capri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike if you need any help with graphics or whatever lemme know - I'd be glad to help.

negusm wrote:
I will put a small page together, for future enthusiasts to understand just how much he meant/means to the asc community. There are not many pictures of him though.

These were taken when I met the legend in 2010. Almost exactly 2 years ago to his passing.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/IMG_2476.JPG
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/IMG_2477.JPG
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/MVI_2483.AVI
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/MVI_2484.AVI

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/misc/SandysCars/

I will be traveling up to the NE this weekend. I would like to go pay my respects as well.

-Mike

86 AscMcLaren Capri Coupe - #026 | 11.4@118 | 290/322
86 9L SVO
www.mikemartinelli.com
www.baldguydesigns.net

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

This is Matthew Block - Sandy's son. My mother and I have been reading these messages and we are so thankful for all the support you have shown to my father, my mother, and me. My father passed away on July 5th as a result of colon cancer which spread to his liver. During his hardest days, he would often come to this website to take his mind off of his worries.
My dad loved all of you, this website, and his ASC McLarens. My father considered you all part of the family. I want to thank you all for the support you have given him over the past 4 years. It really means a lot to me and my mom.

I am including the funeral arrangements in this email if any of you are in the New Jersey area and would like to attend.

Date: Sunday July 8th

Time: Please arrive between 10:45am and 11:00am. The service will start at 11:15am.

Where: Beth Israel Memorial Park, Route 1 North, Woodbridge NJ 07095. Please note that the cemetery does not have an numeric address. There is a large PNC Bank Office next to the cemetery whose address is 1000 Woodbridge Center Drive, Woodbridge NJ.

Directions: Take the Garden State Parkway to exit 130. The exit ramp splits. Take the lane marked Route 1 North. The cemetery should be on your right immediately after getting off the ramp.

Once you get to the cemetery, please make your way to the administrative offices. There should be signs. it is a big brick building with a wooden porch.

If you get lost please call me: 862-684-3705.

Also note that in lieu of flowers, my family would like to ask that a donation be made to the Saint Barnabas Medical Center Foundation 95 Old Short Hills Road, West Orange, NJ 07052 in memory of Sanford Block.

Thank you all.

Regards,
Matthew Block

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: