ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to group
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, those speakers are totally different than mine, of which you have several pictures. I was not aware that asc changed speaker(s) and / or speaker cover configurations between 1985 & 1986. I guess we'll never get to see 1984 speakers/grilles. Never have found even 1 '84.
Remember, I wrote you how asc got the cars with no speakers ? That Radio prep pkg.
I found nothing in the D32ascMcLaren code of special equipment/Spec. deletions ever referring to speakers, only the deletion of the standard Am Fm Stereo Radio, and the addition of the Radio Prep Pkg.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Mike, those speakers are totally different than mine, of which you have several pictures. I was not aware that asc changed speaker(s) and / or speaker cover configurations between 1985 & 1986.

Yes, I thought we had discussed this before. You have (I believe) 6x9 speakers. The holes in the three 85 Coupes that I now have pictures of are the round speakers with the square covers. These same speakers were later used in the verts too.

Quote:
Remember, I wrote you how asc got the cars with no speakers ? That Radio prep pkg.

HOWEVER, even on some radio delete cars (like SVOs) they got speaker holes in the back with covers over them....just no speakers inside. The speaker holes would be 5x8 (or 5x9 depending on who you talk to) and FAR to big for the round speakers mentioned above. That is why I think something SPECIAL happened with asc vs all the other radio deletes.

Let me dig up the link as somebody very knowledgable posted info on this site....

-Mike

Last edited by negusm on Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=svo+speakers&start=75

Quote:
On the radio delete option, in the mustang world the radio was deleted for the SVO Competion Prep Option ($1300 credit) of which they built 89 cars from 84 to 86. As you would expect it could be deleted by it's self for a credit of $134. The radio plate is talked about all the time but I never heard anyone mention anything but the standard speaker grills. I've looked at several of these Comp Prep cars over the years and never noticed a different speaker grill or lack of. I'll ask around over at the other sites and see what they have to say. It's very possible there were some left over panels from the earlier years when the radio was not standard included equipment thus no cut out. 84 and up was standard to have an AM/FM radio. I also have a copy of the radio installation manual from Ford for 84. I'll take a look in it to see if there is any mention of the speaker info there.

Quote:

-My early 85, (3/85) does not have any speakers, speaker holes, or anything, just smooth rear quarter panel trim.
Johnny

-My 85 comp prep has speaker holes that have been cut, I didnt think it should have had them. Thanks for the calarification.

Looks like the change was mid way. That may be why some have the round speakers and some do not.

Cobrajeff though has this to say:
Quote:
From 1979 through 1986, the rear speaker openings for 3 door model Mustangs and Capris were NOT molded into the panel. The holes were cut at the assembly plant with a template when a vehicle was ordered with a stereo radio. Dealer upgrades to stereo were cut with a template included in the Ford radio upgrade kits.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeez.... why to complicate a small detail, fo sure.

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
probstkr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news man but I spoke to my buddy who used to own my car and those are not the original Kenwood speakers. The covers in the picture were the ones on the car when he bought it but he replaced the speakers because they were blown out. He said he used those particular speakers because they were the only ones he could find that the clip on covers would fit. When he gets a chance he was going to look around at his dad's place and see if he kept the old ones. If he finds them I post some pictures.

Sorry,

Kevin
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be sorry. I don't really care about the speakers underneath so much as the COVERS and the round HOLES in the panels.

KUDOS to the previous owner for making an EFFORT to find something that works CORRECTLY instead of hacking away at those panels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: