ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chevrolet SSR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrheehee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Chevrolet SSR Reply with quote

I was in the market for a new DD, and I looked an a Chevy SSR - it had me at the power top. The movement of the top and how it stows away is very reminiscent of the ASCMcLaren.
A little research and I find out that ASC was responsible for the top and much of the truck itself.

Quote "ASC Vehicle Technologies will do most of the construction of the SSR. While GM will do the final assembly in their Lansing "Craft Shop," ASC will handle quite a bit of the SSR's design and engineering, as well as its construction. ASC did the first sketches for the vehicle, and have worked with Lansing on the Cavalier/Sunfire convertibles and Hummer H2 (a modified Suburban)."
Also they made a custom version called the "Diamondback" with lots of carbon fiber panels and a supercharger.

Just FYI - I didn't know - I didn't know an H2 was a Suburban either lol.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, asc did tons of work on specialty cars after ours.

The asc Viper is probably the most famous.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
85asc239

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SSR is a trailblazer. Most under-pinnings an engine are the same.

ASC had a Lansing shop that did a lot work for GM. The cavailer/sunfire converts among others. With the SSR - ASC employees worked in the GM craft center as the vehicle was being built. They had to fine tune every top that came out. Use to see them every day in the holding lots around the craft center.

The craft center did a lot of cool projects over the years included the buick reatta and the EV1- They were running all over Lansing for a while. The also did prototypes there. Unfortunately they tore the plant down shortly after the SSR stopped production. It is a dirt field now.
ct_gsxr1000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at two ssr's this winter for a DD and have yet to learn it is a trailblazer... Very interesting. Here in CT, some of these owners think their cars are worth above high book because of the "limited production" so they ask stupid prices and won't move on price, hence why I still don't own one
daveanddiedre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: On a related note Reply with quote

The original owner of my 90 vert (the one I bought it from) is an avid collector and owned a local body shop. He has since sold the shop and works on his cars for fun now. Anyway, he is very respected and well know in the community. So, the Chrysler design staff was looking for a vert top to model the a new vehicle after. So, they contacted my buddy to see the mechanism of the 90 that I now own. They utilized the car for many days and eventually designed the Prowler top after our cars. How about that.
mrheehee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct_gsxr1000 wrote:
I looked at two ssr's this winter for a DD and have yet to learn it is a trailblazer... Very interesting. Here in CT, some of these owners think their cars are worth above high book because of the "limited production" so they ask stupid prices and won't move on price, hence why I still don't own one

Maybe look in a more Southerly direction? I only saw a few over-priced ones here - just make sure to get an 05-06. It's a fun DD and I like having 2 ASC creations.

To clarify - It has a trailblazer frame, that's about it. The 05-06 have the Corvette LS2 all aluminum 6 liter V8, Tremac 6 Speed(if you buy a manual transmission model) and 14 bolt axle 5-linked to the frame. No spare tire(!), giant weather-tight trunk for a pick-up bed. The power top is an ASC masterpiece! They are nicknamed "PermaGrin" vehicles - it fits so far....
ct_gsxr1000

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mr hehe
I have looked on the main message board for these also and find the southern prices to be lower as you stated, just not enough for me to make the trip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: