ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info on 86 original equipment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sln8661

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Info on 86 original equipment Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Was wondering if anyone had information on what was used as original stock shocks, struts and springs. I've heard Monroe, Koni and Bilstein. And chrome Carrera!

As for the springs, they're supposed to have been the only thing that ASC actually built for the car. Then I heard from one guy that they used Ford C springs. So which is right?

Any input as to which is correct would be great.

Many thanks in advance!
svo413

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Suspension Reply with quote

My 85 seems to be mostly original and here in CA things hold up well.
-Front struts are still Motorcraft, black
-Rear shocks are still Motorcraft, black, made in Japan with the upper cover plastic
-Springs are either black or natural. The car does sit lower than my other Fox body cars. C springs would seem to be correct.

-One thing I did just notice is that the front sway bar is larger than some of the other cars as I had to reorder the bushings in a larger size 1 5/16" I believe. The parts book had a lot of listings but nothing definitive.

FYI, I have the service records back to 1991 and 39,000 miles.

My 88 has silver rear shocks which I assume were the Carrera upgrade.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250

Last edited by svo413 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
sln8661

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has Monroes which seem to be original or changed at one point but long time ago by the second owner who was very particular. That would lead me to beleive that they may have been original equipment.

Springs are black.
tfs2121

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sin8661 is your car a coupe or a vert?

Coupes had gold Carrera struts and chrome Carrera shocks. The springs are a grey area to me. One story is they were designed by Mclaren. This design was then made into a motorcraft part.

If you have a vert it should have factory shocks and struts. Some verts got the springs some got factory springs.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.
capri50asc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Type of Shocks /Springs Reply with quote

My 86 ASC vert had Carrera on it when I got it with 16,000 miles. After hitting a pot hole it blew the fluid out of the seal and I replaced it with a set of Monroe's. As for the springs it has the Motorcraft special order ones'designed by Ford and ASC. These springs are tighter and provide better cornering and turning. They also lower the car by 1 inch. When I park my 86 Capri RS next to my 86 ASC . You can see how much lower it is. Also provide a much firmer ride.

Chris Smile

86 ASC Vert
86 Capri RS 5.0L
73 Cougar
13 Fusion
14 Honda Ridgeline
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always there is a grey area with our cars. They were all hand build. Some got something others didn't. If you look at a 1985 coupe sales brochure it states they got 50/50 high performance shocks and higher rate springs. Modified suspension with a lower ride height. The vert brochure only has modified suspension and lowered ride height.

I think it would be safe to say that the verts that did get lowering springs got different springs then the coupes.

Not ALL cars were built by the book. If it was a late build 86 vert there is a good chance it might of got some coupe parts. It was the last year for the Capri and there was not going to be an 87 mustang coupe. ASC might have installed what they had. Also if they ran out of a part during production some cars might have not got that part.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfs2121 wrote:
Sin8661 is your car a coupe or a vert?

Coupes had gold Carrera struts and chrome Carrera shocks. The springs are a grey area to me. One story is they were designed by Mclaren. This design was then made into a motorcraft part.

If you have a vert it should have factory shocks and struts. Some verts got the springs some got factory springs.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

This is pretty much what I have understood.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ChuckG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bought-new Coupes had gold--maybe yellow, Carrera front struts, chrome rear.

My current Coupe that appears quite original, has black struts, chrome shocks.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should qualify that and say "based on thirty year-old flawed memories".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: