ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guy with a 1986 vert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drakec1031

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: New guy with a 1986 vert Reply with quote

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for the welcome.

So I just recently acquired an old 1986 ASC/Mclaren. It's black, but i'm not sure what the original color of the top was since the top has been redone. The engine is a 5.0 turbo, it's not original either, so I'm unsure of the miles. From what I've heard, there were only 245 of these built, 14 of which were black.

It needs a lot of work. The paint is peeling pretty bad from the hood, and the interior is ripped in many places. The car itself runs fine though, and in the end it's just cosmetics. It'll be fun to restore this car over the years and return it to it's original beauty. I also can't wait to start driving this thing. I currently make payments on my 2010 hyundai accent hatchback (manual tranny, the only thing I like about the car) so it's gonna be nice to be in a good old-fashioned American car.

Anyway, I'd like some more details on just what exactly this car is. My dad keeps calling it a "Ford Mercury McLaren" and so when I told one of my buddies that this is the car i'm getting, he had no idea what it was (and he's really knowledgable about old cars).

So, would the proper name for it be a 1986 Mercury Capri Convertable? and my Dad keeps saying it's not a mustang, but wikipedia says it's just a rebadged ford mustang (i know wikipedia can be unreliable so i'm looking for verification on this).

Any more details on this car that doesn't pertain to my questions is welcomed and encouraged. Thanks in advance!
Kentennis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title should say 'Mercury' 2 door

Correctly it's a 'Mercury Capri based ASCMcLaren'.

I got lucky. Bought an '86 that didn't need any restoration about 5 & 1/2 years ago. It had 18236 miles the day I drove down to West Palm Beach to pick it up. Now has around 24,000 miles on it and looks, drives, rides great.

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. They are fun to drive.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find that a lot of people will call it a mustang. Just till them it a Mercury Capri Conv. or A ASC Mclaren Capri and if they know anything they will say Coupe or Conv. For that is what it is.

It will bring lots of question depending on where you live. Here in MI there are lots of Conv's not many Coupes.

if you post pictures and the vin # Somebody here can decode and most likely give you more info

Welcome and enjoy
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: ASC Reply with quote

It's a bit more than a rebadged Mustang as the only outside panels it has in common with the Mustang is the Roof and Doors. Even less now with no roof. Yes, the chassis is the same as the Mustang. We call ours a McLaren Capri. If you use the word ASC, people get even more confused and requires and explanation of the ASC name. Funny how ASC has modified 1 million cars but no one knows who they are. McLaren has not build many cars but is more well know for racing.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2519

That's a link to the 1986 vert color break out. Looks like 50 of the 245 cars were made with black exterior. I would call it a 1986 ascmclaren convertable. Then they say huh? And I would say its a mercury Capri turned into a convertable by ascmclaren.

The Capri was mercurys version of the mustang. Kinda like how a sable is mercurys version of the Taurus.

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=6

Follow this link for all the ascmclaren related info you could ever want. It was all put together by Sandy Block who was our group leader before he passed a year and a half ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: