ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do you get value's for ASC's ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highgear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Where do you get value's for ASC's ? Reply with quote

I have an 1985 convertible ASC, and am trying to figure out a good price for it, I am considering selling it but dont know where to look, or how to go about figuring a value for it. Any help appreciated this is my first post here.
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Values Reply with quote

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1985/McLaren-Ford-Capri-Mustang/McLaren-Capri/2-Door-Convertible/Values

$3900 to $8200.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you find Mclaren Capri on the NAPA website?

I was trying to look up 85 and 86 ASC Coupes
Highgear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Thank you soo much! Reply with quote

Thank you for that, do you think they take into consideration also the fact that it is a limited quantity vehicle, or considerably rare, or should I place more value on it for that reason, the estimate seems a bit low to me, but maybe I place more value on it than it is really worth? I will go uncover it and get the vin and make #'s today, the car has 90k original, and the motor was rebuild at 60k, so it has 30k on it now, the previous owner added a grear drive and a cam, and bilstiens and some performance/road racing type springs and performance tires. The car handles like it is on a rail, unfortunately I have six bad vertibrea and my back reminds me of this fact every time I drive it more than 25 miles! My last question is that due to the other improvements on the vehicle should the value be higher than Nada book states, Im sure the notes refer to mileage and condition, for which the car is in pretty good condition I think by comparing to the pics on the websites. I will endeavor to get pics for here soon, after I get it completely uncovered and cleaned up. I do appreciate how fast you folks got back to me, and your politeness for my probably posting on the wrong area here for my question, I got excited when I saw how much you folks knew about these vehicles and couldnt contain myself, I probably should have posted this question elswhere, so thank you again.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone stock original cars get the most value. People want a virgin car they can put their mark on or restore it and have a factory-like experience.

Modifications don't generally change the value up. But if they're done well/tastefully then they don't drag the value down much either. Sometimes if the prior owner did something you would do anyway (5 lug swap, sway bars, etc) then you could rationalize paying a bit more.

But generally people want to start with an original car.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the best place to guage price is ebay...

The books are something of a guide but usually aren't very realistic if you are looking at an outlyer. A super original super low mileage car is going to go more than $9k. A beat up car that has been hacked on by some kid won't get $1500.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Finding Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
How did you find Mclaren Capri on the NAPA website?

I was trying to look up 85 and 86 ASC Coupes

Actually it was under McLaren Capri/ Mustang make. Found it years ago.
85 ASC Vert #612205
Highgear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Value on ASC Reply with quote

Thank you for the new info, I have all the original parts, I was thinking of putting it back toward stock myself actually but got interested in a couple of old bronco's too. I bought the car from a buddy, I think he gave me a deal on it, and I enjoyed it, I will have to see if someone else finds it attractive the way it is, or bring it back to the way it was before he changed it, fortunately everything he did is bolt on, and I have everything he took off when he did it, so Im in a decent position in that asspect. I have only ever rebuilt one motor and a chevy at that, but I dont imagine pulling a gear drive and cam would be too awfull much work, come to think of it though that might be a thing better left to a mechanic with my bad back. The springs and bilstien shocks I would hope the next owner would want tp keep installed, but I could have those pulled also I suppose but would wait and see if they had an opinion I think. My buddy was wise in the fact that he kept everything-paperwork included and didnt cut or molest anything that couldnt be put back to original which makes me happy, the one person I know is interested in it soo far knows what is/was done and wants to restore the car, but probably wants to keep most of the performance upgrades, now I have to see what it will be worth to others. Once I get it uncovered and cleaned up a bit I will post pics, and see what happens from there. Thank you again for info, it all helps.
capri50asc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: The value of our cars Reply with quote

I purchased my 86 ASC McLaren in Dec 2009 three days before Christmas and the start of the rescission. Hines Park Lincoln Mercury ordered the car in Jan 1986 for the owner of the dealership. It was shipped to Florida where it stayed until early 2000. When the owner past away it was shipped back to Plymouth Michigan where the dealership stored it in the back of the service garage. In early Dec 2009 it was placed on the use car lot for $10,000. I made on offer of $7,000 and they took it with only 16,000 actual miles and ALL the paper work (window sticker, invoices from ASC,) Has Recaros, Radar Detector, Decor door panels, 140 mile speedo. All the car needed was exhaust work and some some minor issues. I was told I payed what it was worth. True for 2009! But now these cars are starting to pick up an increase in value. Just like the 65 Mustang 2+2 Fastback I sold in 1992 for $3000.00. That car is worth about $15,000 now So I feel our cars will start to increase in value.

Just my 2 cents!

Chris Very Happy
Highgear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Value of ASC. Reply with quote

I appreciate that, I think you got a heck of a deal myself, considering how low of mileage ect and that it is the type of car it is. I was going thru the things my buddy added to my vehicle and the list goes like this, stiffer springs and bilstien shocks-they may be KYB or something similar but gas filled performance shocks, stainless exhaust pipe-unfortunately in Ca I think it has to stay stock so it is still 2 into 1 with the cat, I wish it was duals all the way out with an Xpipe, but not legal here unless it comes stock Im told. Also it has speed rated low profile tires, a 10 disc cd changer in the trunk, and what I already stated the cam and gear drive, also it has always ran on Mobil one synthetic, and its due for an oil change once I clean it up-but just from time not mileage. Im sure there are things I have missed, but I will riffle thru th paperwork and see what rlse I can come up with. Probably a list, pictures and a video of it running and the sound will really tell me what people think of it, hopefully that in itself will sell it for me.
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: NADA IS SOMETIMES HELPFUL? Reply with quote

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1987/McLaren-Ford-Capri-Mustang
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Values Reply with quote

I believe the values are based mainly on what the car cost new. From there it depreciates and at some point appreciates. Since the conversion added about $10K to the base price, the ASCs will value higher than the regular Capri and Mustangs. Limited production probably does not affect the value much except they certainly will not flood the market and drive prices down. The values seem to be coming backup slighltly so hopefully we are in appreciation mode.

With that said, it's easy to start with the high value and compare any car to that. Top dollar cars will need nothing and look great. They are usually well worth the price but many of us have budgets to deal with and opt for somthing less. Realistically, even the best cars do need something so inspect it well. From there I start deducting for missing items or things not working like AC, bad tires, etc. With these cars, replacing the top and redoing the seats can take a big hit on the price tag. Paint job? Well, that just put you way down on the price by the time you take off $3-5K. As for the low end of the price scale, I'm not sure if I agree with $3900. Actually, after reading it in more detail, the NADA bottom price is for a fully working cars with just wear and tear due to miles (not a project car). I think that a lot and cars in that price range are going to have so many more issues to deduct from the price. For the low end, I think if its legally driveable its probaly worth $1500-$3000. The 87-90 cars only go up on the top end prices about $2K.

Don't expect Fox body prices to go up greatly in the next 5-10 years. I think we all would be happy with $5K increase in values in the next 10 years. Right now, for really nice cars, we seem to be topping out around $12K (excluding Saleen and Cobra). A lot of that may be due to fact many buyers do not have much over $5-7K to spend on a car which you cannot drive everyday. Just my opinion.
85 ASC Vert #612205
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: