ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

battery drain on 86 ASC McLaren Convertible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mststeel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: battery drain on 86 ASC McLaren Convertible Reply with quote

I am the second owner of an 86 ASC McLaren. If it sits for more than a couple of days, the battery completely dies. Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, can you share with me the solution?

Thanks
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check out the battery first. I put a new battery in when I got my 86 from my dad. About 7-8 months in, I was having some nagging issues, such as my trunk release worked sporadically and my new stereo would go into "protect" mode and I'd have to reset. Then at about the 12 month period I had trouble starting the car and a couple of days later it wouldn't start at all after I was running around town and made a few stops. Took the battery to Advance Auto, had it tested, and sure enough it was a bad battery and had it replaced under warranty.

Next time I had my car serviced I had them check to see if there was any kind of power drain and they didn't find any. I did confirm that if there is not enough juice from the battery, it will cause the stereo unit to go into the protect mode. Also, haven't had any issues with the trunk release with the replacement battery.

Good luck.
1986 'vert #118
capri50asc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Battery Drain Reply with quote

Hi

Here what to check first:

1) Make sure your glove box light is off when its closed
2) Make sure the under hood light is also off when the hood is closed
3) Does the car have a after market alarm? Disconnect it!
4) Check the radio, is it after market? Sometimes the unit will make a
draw for the stations to be saved.

If these things check out, you will need to check the draw off the battery
with a meter. If the meter shows a "increase draw" start by pulling out
fuses out of the fuse box one at a time.

. When you see the meter show a drop. The problem is somewhere
that runs through that fuse.

Good Luck Chris

Wink Wink Wink
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most common is you hit the headlight switch and turn it on or turn it to dome light.

Would also watch for the alt. will cause a drain. fairly common also.

but always start with the battery. If unsure of age and condition.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not a solution, I have one of those $8 quick battery disconnects. I pop my hood, and just turn the knob to disconnect the battery.

I have tested my car and I have no drain or problem, it's for peace of mind but it's would probably make things easier on you until you can figure out the problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Battery-Link-Terminal-Quick-Cut-off-Disconnect-Master-Kill-Shut-Switch-/171384285476?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e74ca924

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
U-MAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I've got to go along with MIKE. Put a kill switch in my car, and when ever I park it, I flip the switch. Be it at a car show or in the garage. That gives me peace of mind. I've never had a problem, but you sure could get red faced, at a show and my 'vert will not fire up.
85asc239

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had same problem. Mine was relay for tonneau cover. It is mounted on driver side, in trunk, behind carpet, on wheel well.

Dont know how common it is to fail, but something to check. In a very quiet garage I could hear it click when i hooked battery up.

Jeremy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> WELCOME! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: