ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is the McLaren priced so poorly?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyveach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Why is the McLaren priced so poorly? Reply with quote

The car is good looking, rare in its numbers, has a great name associated with it, easy to get mechanical parts for, fun to drive, and sporty. It's everything a Shelby is, except much, much, much, cheaper. The mustang McLaren really confuse me. It's a mustang! A special limited number mustang. Is it because it's so limited that people don't know about them that makes them sell so poorly? When I applied to Hagerty's for insurance they were confused because the VIN # said it was a 2 door hardtop and I sent them a picture of a convertible. Also I was calling it an asc McLaren, and not a Capri. The appraiser thought it was an after market kit and wanted to surcharge me extra (I went with Grundy). If the car industry is having trouble with knowing what the car is, the general public should also be confused. This last week-end we when on a club event driving to some churches. People came up and asked what kind of a car was I driving. Most thought it was some kind of mustang. I'm still at a loss. Any ideas?

1986 ASC McLaren (Red Convertible) # 0058

Believe in your dreams
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some say or call it the "Red headed step child" to the mustang.

Just wait till somebody cames around that know what it is. It will make you Happy that it is just not another Mustang. Sorry Mustang fans
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think it's a bunch of things that add up to them being so obscure:

No substantial performance enhancements. Even though Saleens were made in smaller numbers each year, it was the performance upgrades that made them the talk of the magazines back in the day. Performance is sexier than styling.

The verts are 2 seaters. Most people want 4 seaters. Two seater cars are a very hard sell. You can point to just about any 2 seater vehicle and their production numbers will be miniscule.

The asc Coupes are not Mustangs. Sadly, people assign significant value to the Mustang name. What I find sad about the Capri is that I think it is a better looking car.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Kentennis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree that the Capri version is a better looking vehicle.

I'd just as soon have a Mustang GT convertible as an ASCMcLaren version. They sell for about the same price but you do have the back seat. And the top operation is much easier in the Mustang.
U-MAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI..Well for what it's worth ,the Capri has my vote. I feel that the car is not cookie cutter. In that, a Mustang vert is a Mustang vert. Sorry if I stepped on someone's toes. But we all see these cars in our own way. The fact that they are unique only makes it all the better . I was at a show last summer, and was asked," what model BMW my vert was"? Just one of the things we must endure. The price we pay to be in this group, But what a group we are!
Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the capri is much better looking then the mustang, the fenders, flat front end and bubble hatch make the car look much tougher then its mustang sister. Its unfortunate that its rarity doesnt translate into a higher price, although i have seen the price go up on these cars over the last few years, here in vegas you cant find an 85-86 mustang in decent shape for less then 3.5k, a few years ago i could find em all day long for 1.5-2k

Of course ive been in vegas for about 8 months now and have yet to even see another capri of any year
1986 ascMclaren Coupe #105

Initial success or total failure - AF EOD
dime_store_pony wrote:
granddaddy said "son, clowns wear bowties and if'n i ever catch ya in one
i'll take a picture and show all the girls"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
randyveach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was reading the comments, I was wondering, are we the ones keeping the price low? Some of the McLaren adds I have read show a large amount of labor being done (which has a value of $25-$50 per hour) and parts going into the cars without any return. Are we getting what the car is worth, or are we willing to accept anything for the sake of a sale? Do we look at our cars and say; I'm selling my car for this amount because that's all it's worth (even though it's far less than what I have in it)? A 1966 Mustang cost lest than $3,000 new. What's it worth now? Sure the car is a hot seller, but it's not rare. They command large amounts of money only because you CAN'T buy one for a small amount of money. If everyone is asking $15,000 to $30,000, who is going to sell one for $7500? On the other hand, who is going to pay $15,000 for a car selling for $3,500 to $7,500? Just a thought.

1986 ASC McLaren (Red Convertible) # 0058

Believe in your dreams
capri50asc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Pricing on our ASC McLarens Reply with quote

Give it time guys. Back in 1992 I had a 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 Fast back in my garage. The price on 65 Mustangs was about $2500.00 to $3500.00 All I got for the car was $3000.00 ! Bright Red with black interior 289 with a 4 speed. No rust, needed a couple of things Ran great. What happened 5 years later????? The price skyrocketed! That car is worth $25,000.00 at least. I love driving my 86 ASC McLaren and just parking it and watching people stop and looking at it. Some people just scratch there head because they do not know what it is. Ask yourself what cars are collectable from the 80's Maybe a couple of Camaros ,Fire birds, or a Grand National A lot of Mustangs and Capris. Nothing from Chrysler. What cars can you work on with out having a computer degree? Our cars! The new Mustangs look great. But can you see what it would be like to try and repair or restore one in 15 years? Not me!

The ASC McLarens have" Character " They will have a place in the collector market. Look at the November edition of Hemming Muscle Machine There is a full article on the ASC McLaren Mustang.

I'm keeping my 1986 ASC McLaren vert #0082 and my 1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L "There is nothing even close I would sell them for!

(Maybe a Red and White 1969 Ford XL GT with a 429)

Chris Very Happy
svo413

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Prices Reply with quote

I think the recent price increase for our cars is due to basic automotive economics. If a paint job costs you $6000 today, any car not appearing to need paint is worth $6000. The price goes up and down from there.

I would like to think nice Fox body cars are worth $20K but now you are heading into the price range of the more desireable cars. It all comes down to how much the buyer is willing to spend.

Lately, I have been getting a lot more stares and questions from people who really seem interested in the car, not just some strange car I saw. I try to drive my 85 twice a week while the weather is nice.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
AFChap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had my '88 long, but have had some interesting conversations with people who did not know what it is. One guess was a Cadillac Cimarron. I recall only two who knew what it was. Sounds like I am in a discussion here with folks who prefer the Capri version, but I generally like the Mustang version better depending on year and paint. The monochromatic scheme makes them somewhat subtle ...most folks know they are something different, but they aren't sure how.
- '88 ASC McLaren #041 in Black Cherry Metallic w/5-speed manual
- '67 F-100 fleetside, all original w/240ci 6 cyl
MRBRUSER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of us buy our cars as an investment? i did not , i bought it to enjoy and went the resto mod route, they are diffrent and no one really knows what they are. they should be worth more just because all the work that went into makeing them and the small amount that where made. saleens where just bolt on cars that any one with an lx can copy. cant make a fake Mclaren that easy. I own a 1992 typhoon also most people dont know what it is either. lets enjoy the cars
1988 asc coyote swapped
1993 coupe 347 stroker
2016 Shelby GT350
capri50asc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: I Agree Reply with quote

Hi

I agree with Mr Bruser My 1986 ASC McLaren is very special to me and I'm passing it down to my family. As for the 1992 Typoon and its counterpart the GMC Cyclone. The two fastest trucks with 4.3 turbo powered engines. I know about those. Both very limited in production and hard to find!

Chris

Smile
foraye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRBRUSER wrote:
Did any of us buy our cars as an investment? i did not , i bought it to enjoy and went the resto mod route, they are diffrent and no one really knows what they are. they should be worth more just because all the work that went into makeing them and the small amount that where made. saleens where just bolt on cars that any one with an lx can copy. cant make a fake Mclaren that easy. I own a 1992 typhoon also most people dont know what it is either. lets enjoy the cars

I also agree with MRBRUSER, I got the car to have fun with...and like him I might just start my coyote motor swap this spring also. I just got rid of my open track 89 coupe and have lots of suspension and engine mods laying around!
MRBRUSER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any info on the coyote swap you need let me know i have a parts list, had a friend who did his 93 notch also between the two of us we found what worked the best
1988 asc coyote swapped
1993 coupe 347 stroker
2016 Shelby GT350
foraye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRBRUSER wrote:
any info on the coyote swap you need let me know i have a parts list, had a friend who did his 93 notch also between the two of us we found what worked the best

Ok thanks I'll do that!

Do you think I should go the crate motor or the donor car route? I've been going back and forth about where to spend the $$$, vs. dropping in the 331 stroker I have laying around with the Tremec 3550.

The Coyote does make it a very special car however!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: