ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windshield trim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanrock

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Windshield trim Reply with quote

I have read about doing the windshield trims and read that some did not fair so well. I had truoble with mine (coming loose here and there) thats been on forever and after doing research and talking to 3m reps i fixed mine and so far no problems at all. After removing the trim carefully wich took about 2 hours, i removed all of the old adhesive and acetoned the inner trim and denatured alcohol the cars A piller. You leave the old epoxy ASC used to take up the gap between the trims inner and A piller. (That seems to me what gets removed and the trims flys off later on). Now with help from a friend i roll out a new bead at the edge like where the old one was using 3m's auto glass window weld ribbon 3/8dia. (No more7/16) number 08612 then run a small bead of medium strength auto glass adhesive by 3m number 08693 on top of the rolled bead you just laid out so no water goes inside the trim when it rains. Now with the same medium adhesive number 08693 i ran it in criss cross patter on the old epoxy about 3/8 high as quickly as possible (the rep said about 20 min working time, the tube does not say anything) when done, press the trim back on the car, wiggle it a tiny bit and i used 4 clamps for 1 hour and so far 2 months later and 170 miles the trim is solid. I suggest that if you need a new windshield do it before doing this as it probibally wont be removed easily for many years again. This worked for me and i hope this helps you. Rich
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
zanrock

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Windshield trim Reply with quote

I forgot to add along with the old epoxy next to that there was old ribbon on both side of the A pillers, remove the old and replace with the new. I dont beleive i left any more out, but do note there was nothing along the top section of the trim. So unless you see something do whats needed, like repair etc.. Rich
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great description. I will need to do this to my 85 one of these days.
1985 Red ascMcLaren Convertible #218
1990 Seafoam Auqa ascMcLaren Convertible #263
2001 Yellow Mustang Convertible
1977 Red Bonneville Coupe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: