ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to decide to restore or relinquish
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy question but where you in Mi last year at a Dearborn Ford car show/

I think we may have talked
Dforbes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me. I've never been to Michigan. Too darn cold for my blood!

Well I made all the arrangements today. The car will be towed to the mechanic Saturday when he isn't so busy and can really dig into it.

A friend who has done several antique car restorations came by today to give me his opinion. He crawled up under as best he could and said looks good underside. All the rust is topside where the sun and rain damaged the paint. And around the seams.(driver door edge)
I'll know better once it gets on the lift.
He told me to saturate ALL the rust spots heavy with Ospho to kill it until it can be painted. I remember my dad using that on boat stuff and machinery he was working on.

Do any of y'all have opinions or experience with Ospho on autos?
avmtdan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Yeah, you need to get an estimate.

*IF* the only body damage is to the top of the car and *IF* it isn't too bad, it will be a reasonable fix.

In the Northeast, if you see a car like that, IT IS A TOTAL LOSS. The moisture, salt and snow rot out the bottom first. But in Florida, it may be a different story.

-Mike

I dont know about that statement about the Florida cars. I purchased a parts mclaren for $500 because some guy left it in his yard for the last 15 years, there was nothing left and it was always a southeastern car. Floors were completely gone to the point that we removed the seats by simply pulling on them. I think it was caused by dew in the morning being attached to the grass that held it up against the car. If it was stored on concrete hopefully be in better shape.
87 ASC Mclaren Mustang #416
Dforbes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: free to good home Reply with quote

I never got it restored and now I am moving and cant keep. I cant make myself part it out. anyone close looking for a project? Its in central eastern Florida.
Dforbes wrote:
I have an 86 coupe dash id #005 all original that I received new off the showroom floor for my sixteenth birthday. It was my first true love! It was stored many year (pickled) in my fathers warehouse and looked like brand new until mid 2000's.
It has since been mostly outdoors in Florida sun and has surface rust on roof and hood spreading rapidly. It was still driving until my last move in 2009. Hasn't moved since.
I have no idea how to estimate the cost of restoring something like this. Body work and paint, no problem. Got that estimate.
Do any of you that have done a complete overhaul know about what it would cost?
It's all here. Just sat outside undriven way too long!!
Crying or Very sad
Thanks for any input, Deb
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: free to good home Reply with quote

I would post on other Fox Mustang/Ford forums.

We have a very small number of owners here and everyone already has their own "projects".

Post to www.foureyedpride.com if you can. Way more people looking for cars are on there.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love to take it, just to have a blue/orange one, but i can barely get mine going. I hope you can sell it, and sorry that you have to!
1986 ascMclaren Coupe #105

Initial success or total failure - AF EOD
dime_store_pony wrote:
granddaddy said "son, clowns wear bowties and if'n i ever catch ya in one
i'll take a picture and show all the girls"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: