ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1986 Capri Convt Silver/Black/Charcoal for sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: 1986 Capri Convt Silver/Black/Charcoal for sale Reply with quote

I really like the car and have enjoyed driving and working on it but I can't store it any more. It is silver with a black top and charcoal interior. This is a pretty rare color combination, one is one of 12 silver/black charcoal ones out of 245 built. It is an automatic with cruise control and AC. 5.0 EFI. It does not have the body kit. It shows 103,xxx miles on the OD.

California car--no rust underneath, but does have some starting on the bottoms of the doors and trunk lip. Some dings and scratches but it shows well. There is a dent in the bottom of the plastic front bumper cover that needs to be pulled out. One of the rims is dented but I have a brand new replacement that has not been installed. I picked up new wheel center caps and all new badging, too. The headlight buckets, grill and taillights have been detailed with new black paint.

Just rebuilt the interior and it looks great! New standard Mustang charcoal upholstery, new carpet, new passenger window motor, new door lock mechanisms, new outer door dew swipes, NEW HEATER CORE, new top pull down motor, new ignition switch and instrument panel module. I replaced the cardboard backing and map pockets on both door panels. I replaced the woodgrain dash panels with grey Mustang panels and they look much better. Also, found a good steering wheel with good leather. Heat cranks, but AC does not. Temperature gauge does not work. I replaced the top header piece, too.

I upholstered the seats with Mustang vinyl covers because I wanted to eventually find the better seats with the knee supports and lumbar adjust. I wanted to get leather covers for the new seats but didn't want to wait. I have found the better seats and will include them with the car if you want them.

The car came with a radar detector but I had to remove it since they are illegal in Virginia. I kept it intact, though. The car runs very well, but is probably due for a tune up. I have replaced the exhaust with a new cat-back system. It sounds and looks great.

The top is in good shape but some of the stitching is coming off around the windows and they are foggy. I have replaced a pivot bold and several of the other frame bolts, so it is nice and rigid now.

I just had the brakes completely rebuilt, including replacing the 3 rubber hoses, turning the drums/rotors and new pads. the car stops really well now.

Don't know what else to say--it is a good, honest car. Hate to see it go.

Pictures are here: http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/DanBerger/media/IMG_3251.jpg.html

I'm looking for around $12,500. The silver Capris are impossible to find! located in Norfolk, VA.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

So, I have been working on the car and it is almost a new car now.

I replaced the bent rim with a new one, got all the wheels balanced, got the car alligned. Bearings, shocks, suspension all checked out.

It had a valve cover gasket leak, so I went after that project, which cascaded to $2000 worth of parts and labor. So valve cover gaskets were replaced which led to the intake manifold gasket. Then, the thermostat, hoses, temp sensor were next and I got a new distributor to go with the new spark plugs and wires. That led to new injectors and injector wiring harness.

While I was in there, the power steering pump was whining a little, so it got replaced. The AC was updated to 134a so it got a new compressor, clutch, switch, hoses and...the condensor. All new stuff, blows COLD.

So then, we had ignition issues. Or, cut-off issues and it ran rough as it warmed up. So, a new computer was installed, ignition module, MAF sensor..

Seems like everything they touched broke something else down stream and they just started throwing parts at the car.

BUT, it runs LIKE A CHAMP now!! and it has cold AC, so I can't complain.

I had other projects planned for the car, but I can't store it much less work on it, so I'll include all the other stuff:

extra Mclaren front bumper cover
Capri RS bumper cover (was thinking about adding the RS air dam)
front 5 lug conversion kit (3 months use on another car) includes:
spindles, new 5 lug rotors, new calipers, good used dust shields
4 5-lug (E-T brand) AC cobra style 17x8 rims,
http://www.etmags.com/ac_iii.html
67 Mustang GTA Convt
4-barrel Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car!

But I'm scratching my head about your roadster:

Mike
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! There are a few unusual things about the car. For instance, The seats were the standard Mustang seats with McLaren logo stitched on. I haven't seen that on another McLaren.

The dash and interior grey parts don't seem to match the door panels or eachother for that matter, but they look pretty good when combined.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
KHummel66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather covered regular seats, and standard door panels are an alternative to the higher cost Recaros and asc door panels in the verts. You don't see them often, however you do come across them occasionally, in both V8 and V6 cars.
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1986 ASC vert - Silver/Black/Gray
1985 ASC vert - Black/Tan/Tan
1985 GPIV - The Official Pace Car
1985 ASC coupe - modified
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: