ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering wheel for my 86

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Steering wheel for my 86 Reply with quote

I hope you guys aren't annoyed by all my questions but I've never restored one of these cars, I'm used to the older ones. I need a new steering wheel for my car as you can tell from the pictures on ebay and the ones posted here. Here is what I'm talking about

It is going to be along time before I can afford the $350 that Hank wants for an original leather wrapped wheel so I was wondering if any 84-86 GT or SVO wheel w/o cruise would fit and accept the ascMclaren horn pad, which is still in good shape. I know its not original but the rip is annoying and I want something less expensive to drive around with till I get the small fortune Hank wants. Thanks all
1986 ascMclaren Coupe #105

Initial success or total failure - AF EOD
dime_store_pony wrote:
granddaddy said "son, clowns wear bowties and if'n i ever catch ya in one
i'll take a picture and show all the girls"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 84-86 Mustang GT or 84-86 Capri RS wheels will allow the horn pad to "fit". It won't be perfect but it will work allright.

I have a 1984 Capri RS wheel/pad on my car right now. I will swap my $500 Hank special wheel and pad in place when the car gets closer to show condition.

84-86 Mustang/Capri wheels are $75-100 used and you may want to just buy a $20 wheel cover for now and pocket the rest to put towards are redone wheel.

BTW, the SVO wheels are the same as the leather asc ones. You can sedn your core to 50resto to get it redone or get one from Hank. I think its about the same price.

If you DO happen upon a useable SVO wheel. for cheap, that would be your best bet, cost wise.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
svt1996cobra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

There is a guy in the SVOCA that recovers them, does a excellent job. Last time I checked he charges $235.00, plus your old core. I will shoot him a e-mail and see if we in the ASC Mclaren forum can get the same deal.

David
mustang marty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wheel looks like that, too. I have a padded GT/RS wheel with the fake stitching that I am going use until I can afford to have mine recovered. The McLaren horn pad fits decently in it. The pad will also fit the hard plastic version of the wheel, but the horn pad is thicker and sticks up about 1/4" where it meets the wheel.

It would be great if the SVOCA guy would do ours as well.
svt1996cobra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I have yet to hear back, I'll let you know when I do.

David
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Bob Tweedy is the guy on svoca. He may just have a person he sends them to. All of the other resellers probably send it to him as well. Last I heard Motion Dynamics out of TX does it too. http://www.mustangsvo.org/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

Bob does the svo shift knobs too!!!
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant get that website to work, keeps saying that i don't have permission and that i am forbidden.
1986 ascMclaren Coupe #105

Initial success or total failure - AF EOD
dime_store_pony wrote:
granddaddy said "son, clowns wear bowties and if'n i ever catch ya in one
i'll take a picture and show all the girls"
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked for me when I clicked on the the link. There is no log in. Try shortening the link to http://www.mustangsvo.org. Then select the web board and it is the 3rd post down.

Or call them at: Motion Dynamics 512 259 5242. The response is from Lou who is a friend or mine. He has done a lot with these guys.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: