ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From whom to buy a replacement convertible top?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: From whom to buy a replacement convertible top? Reply with quote

I have an 89 ascMclaren that needs a new top. I see on www.ascmclaren.com they sell tops for $750. I see on www.topsonline.com they sell a top for the McLaren for $486. The one from Topsonline gives info about the gage and rating of the vinyl and the type of material the top is made of in addition to a six year warranty. I know the stuff from ascMclaren is good stuff but the website only lists a part number and says nothing about the type of material for the top or the windows, does not say if there is any type of warranty and if so what it is. I don't mind paying more if I know I am getting more but ascMclaren does not give enough info for me to know whether I am getting more or just paying more. Can any of you tell me from your personal experience or can you tell me where to find the information that I am looking for but not finding on the ascMclaren site? Second question, what have y'all paid to have a new top installed?
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one from ascmclaren.com might actually be originals.

Make sure you ask Hank if they are.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat--I am going to buy a new top this month. I have an aftermarket one on my car that looks about right, but the stitching is off a little and it has shrunk so that it doesn't cover the windows very well.

About 10 years ago, I had one put on my '88 and the shop bought it from some other manufacturer. Probably TopsOnLine, but definitely not from Hank. I don't think it was a very good fit, but it looked correct.

So, I want to support Hank and I'm about to buy a bunch of other stuff from him, but my concern about his tops is that they probably are originals. That might make the windows old and possibly need replacing right out of the box. For $750, they need to be new!
67 Mustang GTA Convt
wrightsvo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a dark blue '89 canvas top from Hank @ ascmclaren.com. I can vouch that as I unpacked it, the clear plastic parts were isolated from the top material by a paper material I would assume to keep from scratching it. It is neatly folded (not a lot, just enough to package it). I still have a few weeks before it gets to escape the garage en route to the upholstery shop for installation. I will comment further (with pics) when it is finally installed.
KHummel66

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased one off ebay (several years ago). I can't speak to Topsonline vs Hank, although what I bought was canvas like the originals, not vinyl.

However, what I can speak to is installation - I installed it myself. Really wasn't difficult, just followed the instructions. See pics on pages 4 and 3 of my album.

Keith
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1986 ASC vert - Silver/Black/Gray
1985 ASC vert - Black/Tan/Tan
1985 GPIV - The Official Pace Car
1985 ASC coupe - modified
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: New Top Reply with quote

I paid the big bucks and bought one from Hank. The fit was questionable as it seemed short where it meets the tonneau cover. 2 years later while wiping the windows they FELL OUT! The stitching rotted. The rest of the stitching was fine still 7-8 years later. The other thing I noticed is the plastic windows degrade like a moss like film seems to grow over them from the bottom up. Based on the id numbers in the plastic, it appears to be from 1988 manufacture.

I would not spend the money on another original top unless it was for a show car.

My installer recommends topsonline.com. Ez-on and Robbins are the same company these days but sell separate products. I just ordered new top for my 89 LX and will have to seriously consider them next time for my 85 ASC.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
5280Capri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHummel66 wrote:
However, what I can speak to is installation - I installed it myself. Really wasn't difficult, just followed the instructions. See pics on pages 4 and 3 of my album.

Keith

What are the chances you could post said instructions? Wink
I am about to make some repairs to mine and it would be nice to have something to reference.
KHummel66

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions are on ascmclaren.com, in the Service Manual section, Convertible Diagrams starting page 3 and going through page 10...

http://www.ascmclaren.com/diagrams.htm
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, That is very helpful. i am new and am still finding my way around.
KHummel66

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all. Everyone is new...until they aren't. Welcome!!
1986 ASC vert - #86-0001
1986 ASC vert - 3.8SC v6
1985 ASC coupe - roller
1983 Crimson Cat V6
1966 Cobra replica
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Convertible Top Question Reply with quote

I need to ask a question that I feel silly asking but since I don't know the answer(s) her it goes.

1. Are most all asc/Mclaren convertible tops operated primarily manually?

2. Is the purpose of the electric motor used with the convertible tops only to snug down the back of the top so that it seals tightly against the tonneau cover?

3. If that electric motor is broken or missing can the convertible top be locked or snugged into position by hand such that the top is properly in place for driving the car in good and bad weather or is the motor essential for the top to be put up and down and function properly?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: