ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveling Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Traveling Question Reply with quote

This coming Friday, September 23rd, my son and I are flying from Virginia to Florida to purchase this 1989 asc/McLaren and drive it back to Virginia.

Photo in my album on this site.

What do you recommend that we take with us in the way of parts in case we have things wear out or break on the drive. I was thinking some fuses, (although I am not sure what type of fuses the asc/McLarens use) maybe some headlight and tail light bulbs. Are there parts that might give out on us that would be hard to find on the road during a trip that I should buy before we start the drive home?

The car is garage kept and has been well maintained but has not been driven a lot lately.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Last edited by Mustang Munkey on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
hanksgt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the trip going? Car looks great! Good luck,
'89 ASC #176
'87 ASC #134
'85 GT
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't start the trip until this coming Friday the 23rd, but I am so excited about it. Not only getting the car but sharing the trip home and the driving with my youngest son who is 17. I hope it is something we remember fondly for years to come.
4-barrel Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If well maintained, I wouldn't expect anything to wear out or break, however, I'd:

1) Get a AAA membership
2) Go to a Jiffy Lube for oil change & their full inspection (lights, etc)
3) Go to a full service tire store and pay for inspection of tires / brakes / suspension
4) Go to Car Toys (or equivalent) & have a Bluetooth/hands-free unit installed
5) Enjoy the time with your 17-year-old Good Job

Mike (semi-sane survivor of 5 coast-to-coast drives Cool )
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the Drive.

As for spare parts Check the spare for air. Commonly over looked. And you can find a parts store on every corner so I would not worry about it.
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get back, Drop me a line!--I'm in Norfolk! I had my 86 shipped from California last year, I used U-Ship. I haven't had the guts to drive it through the HRBT, tho...
67 Mustang GTA Convt
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan I certainly will contact you when I get the car back to Yorktown. Do you know of other owners close by?
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about any McLarens in the area, but there are a bunch of Saleens. I had an '88 about 10 years ago and there was a red ASC Mustang at one of those rim shops on Va Beach Blvd and Military Highway that I kept seeing around but it is gone, too.

I went to the Mustang club meeting and they had never seen one. I don't think there are any more around!
67 Mustang GTA Convt
svo413

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Drive Reply with quote

You should be good for the most part. It would not hurt to have a quick inspection of the brakes, tires and engine.

I would grab a belt and tools to install if needed. I would also grab a few things locally like a couple of gallons of antifreeze and a few quarts of oil. Parts are easy to get anyplace.

I would definateliy invest in AAA premimun as 1 tow pays for it. A cell phone or iPad with internet access is extremely handy when stranded!
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Mustang Munkey Reply with quote

I appreciate y'alls input and suggestions. I am getting more and more excited about the flight on Friday to go get the car. My oldest son lives in Florida in the same town as our friend who is selling the car to me. My son went by this afternoon to make sure all the interior and exterior lights were working properly and that the spare was properly inflated and so forth. He also took it for a test drive and he fell in love with it. I can't wait for my turn! Thanks again for all your suggestions and input.

Mark

Last edited by Mustang Munkey on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Mustang Munkey Reply with quote

OK, Just learned from my son that the car has been cleaned and looks nice but he also told me that the picture I just posted to my album was a picture he found on the internet of a similar car because he forgot to take a picture of the car while he was there. I just wanted y'all to know that I was not intentionally trying to pass off a picture of someone else's car as my own. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Mustang Munkey on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it should have been a clue to me that the picture I posted was of a car with a white exterior and the car I am picking up Friday is blue. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: