ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspension for Mclaren
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knsstang

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how will coilovers solve the problem? will they give me a better ride than lowering springs? what is the average price, and a good brand?
1989 Royal Gold Metallic #095 (225Hp)
2016 Kawasaki ZX14R (199.9Hp) (26,200 miles)
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
2012 GMC Yukon Denali (403Hp)
ckj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coilovers give better performance / ride than lowering springs (when slammed), and are generally adjustable allowing height adjustments (at a minimum). Some have others adjustments allowing different rebounding settings and such. The price runs the full spectrum, but will cost more than springs for sure. I haven't studied them for fox body cars yet, but the set I bought for my S4 were $1100 and worked well. Do some research!
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKJ wrote:
coilovers give better performance / ride than lowering springs (when slammed), and are generally adjustable allowing height adjustments (at a minimum). Some have others adjustments allowing different rebounding settings and such. The price runs the full spectrum, but will cost more than springs for sure. I haven't studied them for fox body cars yet, but the set I bought for my S4 were $1100 and worked well. Do some research!

Good to see you post CKJ. How's the coupe?
ckj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoutdrivinrebel wrote:

Sitting peacefully in the garage with no engine, trans or really any mechanical parts in it Smile

Hoping to start working on it again this year, just need to pay off some bills first.
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKJ wrote:
scoutdrivinrebel wrote:

Sitting peacefully in the garage with no engine, trans or really any mechanical parts in it Smile

Hoping to start working on it again this year, just need to pay off some bills first.

G/L to you. Sorry to hear she's still torn down and you can't enjoy her though.
knsstang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm revising this thread, but I'm ready to lift my car. I'm going with new springs and need a recommendation. I don't know what type to order.. convertible,coupe or hatch back. Just want normal lowering amount. Right now my fender well lip is about 24-26 inches from the ground.
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a very good question. Normally I would say get Convertible Mustang springs. but your car was a hatchback first. If you have a build sheet that maybe a good place to start.
knsstang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
Yes a very good question. Normally I would say get Convertible Mustang springs. but your car was a hatchback first. If you have a build sheet that maybe a good place to start.

I think the 87 and up started as coupes. I'm going to get convertible. Do you think our cars are lighter than a factory convertible (designed coupe no roof little bit of bracing or heavier because stock convertible no roof a lot of bracing?)
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Capris only hatchback. I have been doing some spring research for another car. Front Springs are all the same 79-04. And only the rear convertible was different. Unless you are going lowering springs. Then just one number front and rear. At least that was what I was seeing. Ebay has a nice set of new saleen springs I have been looking at.
knsstang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
That's right. Capris only hatchback. I have been doing some spring research for another car. Front Springs are all the same 79-04. And only the rear convertible was different. Unless you are going lowering springs. Then just one number front and rear. At least that was what I was seeing. Ebay has a nice set of new saleen springs I have been looking at.

Yeah.. I'm going lowering springs. Just don't know what to order for. They give me a choice.. convertible( factory I guess) coupe( what our cars started as) hatch back( I'm thinking because they might be heavier than other 2).
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: