ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASC McLarens still under valued.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randyveach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: ASC McLarens still under valued. Reply with quote

I noticed that Sande's ASC McLaren is priced a quite a bit more than the average McLaren however, the average McLaren is priced way below what it should be. The ASC cars are in limited quantity and are selling for what a Capri or Mustang (of the same year) is selling for. If I put a lot of time, and money, in restoring one of these automobiles, it's money thrown away if I need to sell. Take this opportunity and increase the price of your car. It will help Sande's car sell, as more ASC's will be for sale at a higher price, plus it will raise the value of your car. As all of us know what drives the price of the car is supply and demand. The supply is low (which is good) but the demand is low (which is bad) as the sellers keep it that way, but that can be changed.
Randy

1986 ASC McLaren (Red Convertible) # 0058

Believe in your dreams
U-MAN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know what you are saying, but there small demand. Reason , most people have no idea what our cars are. Most shows you attend, you will be asked " what kind of car is that". That is one of the reasons I like them. We are not cookie cutter. But that is just me.
randyveach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had trouble with name recognition. McLaren is as large a name as Shelby, Lamborghini, or Ferrari. Some of the people that I have talked with at car shows even remember seeing a Capri McLaren. I don't think it's name recognition, but what I don't understand is why a good looking 1986 white ASC McLaren would sell for $3,800 at a car auction. That does not make sense to me.

Believe in your dreams
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always seemed strange to me too.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
randyveach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listed my 1986 McLaren for $17,500 on craigslist.com in Austin, Texas. If it sells for that price GREAT however, I will not sell if for less than $16,000.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/5929958251.html

Believe in your dreams
Kentennis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '86 is a twin to this one and I'd take $12,500.00 cash for it tomorrow. And mine has 24,000 miles.
randyveach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertise it, see what happens

Believe in your dreams
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy,

The Capri Conv. in Red and Tan with ground effects are my favorite. Add the headlight and taillight covers would but it over the edge. One suggesting is remove the interior shot of tools and clutter in the car. Makes one wonder what problems it has.

good luck with the sell
Kentennis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: 1990 Mustang Reply with quote

I was watching the Mecum Auction from Kissimmee.

A 1990 Mustang LX convertible just sold for $23,000.00. It is a 7-Up edition but nothing really outstanding about it. looked like a regular 1990 LX Convertible to me.

They built over 4100 of them!

More info: The $23k car only had 830 miles. An identical one with 14,000 miles sold for $14.5k.

Last edited by Kentennis on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
randyveach

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I mean. An asc Mustang McLaren for $7,o00 to $9,500 for a 7up mustang for $23,000.

Believe in your dreams
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Randy, your car is AWESOME! It is a great example of what the Mclaren Capris can and should be! I am contemplating putting an RS front air dam on my 86 with Saleen side skirts and rear valance, but you might have just pushed me to the Mclaren ground effects.

So here is my two cents on the whole Mclaren vs the world thing. I graduated from high school in Alexandria, VA (next to Washington DC) in 1986 and was a HUGE Mustang fan. My father had a 67 convertible when I was young and my (twin) brother and I restored a 67 in High school as our daily driver. When we went to college, my parents bought me a fixer-upper 68 fastback GT and my brother got the 67 that we had restored. I have since sold my fastback but he still has the 67 coupe. While I was in college, my father bought an 87 Saleen convertible. Up until then, I hadn't paid much attention to the other-than-factory Mustangs. I REALLY wanted an 86 GT in a bad way until the aeros came out in 87 then, I was sold on those. I recall that no one really paid attention to the Capris because they were like the 60's Cougars, just a more expensive gussied up Mustang. That is, until my girlfriend in college got an 86 Capri with the bubble hatch. Lets just say that I have a lot of fond memories of that car!

So, what I'm saying is that I was 'there' when the Mclarens came out and no one really knew about them. Everyone knew about Shelbys and Saleens, but the McLarens were untouchable for price. You just didn't see any driving around, too. I went to a BUNCH of Mustang/Ford shows and never saw one.

When I did see one, I recall that my Mustang friends thought they looked funny. Not bad, just not 'right'. Everyone was used to the way Mustang convertibles looked. Also, since the trim was the same color as the car, that made them look a little off, too. Now, people are resistant to change, so the European styling--especially colors turned people off. The exterior paint colors were nice, but no one and I mean NO ONE that I knew like the interior color unless it was grey or black. I am in that same mindset today. I think it felt like Ford (Mercury) was trying to get all fancy and uppity and try something new that we ignorant Americans wouldn't understand.

I do recall that the McLaren name meant something, but it was associated with the roadsters that didn't get much performance attention. It kind of seemed like a lie at the time--all looks and no power. Since the roadsters were so different, I think everyone associated the brand with them and no one really knew or cared about the coupes because they just weren't...different enough. I had NO idea that they got so much work until recently and I recall when seeing one in the 90's thinking that they just slapped on some ground effects and re-badged the cars.

Then, there were really nice Mustangs like the 7-up car. I absolutely love that color combination and thought that the perfect Saleen would have those colors. Again, I didn't know about McLarens. The other special editions, triple white or the bright red with white top/interior were outstanding, too. So, I would think that the person who bought the 7-up car mentioned above was emotionally attached to the car.

I have seen a lot more talk about the coupes because they look more like Mustangs. I think the Mclaren name throws people off and it brings visions of something like the Shelby GLHS.

One last point, it seems like more people are building out the 80s Mustangs instead of restoring them. I think there is the same emotional attachment to a Mustang, not a Capri. When someone wants to customize their car, it seems like they don't want to mess with an already custom car and would rather just go for the easy stuff on a factory car.

Sorry about the rant. I love the cars, I'm just relaying what I have heard from others and some personal observations.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
U-MAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. To bring more truth to what I had said earlier. This is a tape that was made last year, of a car show that I went to with my car. Here is the site ," Regular Pypes Car show 2016 ". Mine was the last car on the tape. Just listen to what This Film Maker Has to say.
Kentennis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No link but I went to Google and entered the name Pypes car show 2016 it showed up. Yup. Just what DID he miss??
4-barrel Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy38UGt8n5c

2:38 of wasted time. Clowns.

Mike
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I too just wasted 2:38 of my life. IDIOT!!
1985 Red ascMcLaren Convertible #218
1990 Seafoam Auqa ascMcLaren Convertible #263
2001 Yellow Mustang Convertible
1977 Red Bonneville Coupe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: