ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! High Beams don't work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Help! High Beams don't work! Reply with quote

I have a 1989 ASC McLaren Mustang. I was driving the other night with my headlights on when I decided to switch to high beams. When I shifted the switch on the column to the high beam position I lost my headlights and my fog lights completely. When I shifted the switch back to low beams I got nothing but I wiggled the switch around and finally the low beams and fog lights came back on. Ever since I have low beams but no high beams. Has this happened to any of you and if so how did you fix it? Thank you, Mark
1989 ASC McLaren Triple BLUE #128
svo413

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Switch Reply with quote

Sounds like to turn signal stalk switch went out. I'm not 100% sure. I never had this happen. Those switches have skyrocketed in price to $400. There are after market ones but often dont last.

FYI, the headlight switches are prone to failure too.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would start with the headlight switch. Very common problem that when using high beams that the lights go off. Also a easy to find part and cheap. Under $50 last time I needed one.
4-barrel Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repop: http://www.blueovalindustries.com/in4005.html

OEM: http://www.blueovalindustries.com/in3080.html

I would pull the multi-function switch and gently blow it out (20 psi or less) and reinstall. If that did nothing, I would get some electronic/switch cleaner/lubricant and liberally spritz the MF switch while working the switch to all positions. If that doesn't work, I would buy a new switch.

Mike
Mustang Munkey

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Thank You, It Worked! Reply with quote

It was the multifunction switch and was worn out. I ordered a new one and it was simple to replace. It took me very little time to do and I love having high beams again! Thank you for your input.
1989 ASC McLaren Triple BLUE #128
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: