ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doors interchange

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sorin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Doors interchange Reply with quote

Hi there everyone!I'm new on this forum and I'm from Belgium!!!
I just bought myself an accidented ASC McLaren Mustang and need a passengers door for it!Could someone tell me if these doors are interchangeable with the convertible ones?!Or maybe the GT or LX versions?!
I know that the window itself is specific to the McLaren but the doors on some models should fit!!!It's a 1987 model!Thanks in advance.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I never heard anybody say any different about the doors being different just the Glass. I could not see ASC making or redesigning the doors because of cost.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be differences from Ford.

Since the cars were LX cars...with T-Roof doors. They should be the same as all GT/LX 87-93 T-Roof doors.

And from what I think I remember, T-Roof doors can be created by removing the frame on the regular doors.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
sorin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
It would be differences from Ford.

Since the cars were LX cars...with T-Roof doors. They should be the same as all GT/LX 87-93 T-Roof doors.

And from what I think I remember, T-Roof doors can be created by removing the frame on the regular doors.

-Mike

So regular GT/LX doors should fit as long as the window frame is removed,right?!Convertible doors are slightly different and won't fit?!As for de window,it won't fit since the windshield frame has been lowered a few degrees!Correct me if I'm wrong!
Thanks in advance guys.
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Door Reply with quote

Correct on the glass being modified. Any similar year door could be modified, likely just cutting offf the top frame. Don't forget there are reinforcements added to the inside frame under the door panel. Likely these are regular convertible parts welded on or just a mustang convertible door. I have not compared the parts. There maybe notes that regular vert. Doors were used.

So you want an 87 or early 88 door with the mirror mounted in the corner and not mounted below the belt line.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Door Reply with quote

From Sandy's notes:

"Here is how the 1987-1990 Ford Mustangs were specially built for ASC/McLaren by the Ford Motor Company, using the guidelines set down by asc/McLaren as to how asc/McLaren needed them to be built on the Ford Assembly Line:-
Ford Mustang LX V-8 2-Door Sedan
Install frameless doors as used on T-Top cars "

T-tops were getting pretty rare by 87 and I believe ended early 88. A normal t-top door might be rarer than an ASC car!. The earlier t-top door had a small exposed window frame at the front. Not sure how it compares to the 87/88 door. I can take a picture of my early 88 if you need it. My 89 has no Frame at the front.
85 ASC Vert #612205
sorin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Reply with quote

svo413 wrote:
Correct on the glass being modified. Any similar year door could be modified, likely just cutting offf the top frame. Don't forget there are reinforcements added to the inside frame under the door panel. Likely these are regular convertible parts welded on or just a mustang convertible door. I have not compared the parts. There maybe notes that regular vert. Doors were used.

So you want an 87 or early 88 door with the mirror mounted in the corner and not mounted below the belt line.

Ok!I'm getting a bit confused here!
What should I replace the damaged door with?!A convertible door(being easyier not having to chop off the frame),will it fit?!Or do I have to use a GT/LX door in case the convertible door wouldn't fit!I'd prefer to replace it with a convertible,but I want to be sure that it's going to match!!!Can anyone advise me on that with 100% certainty?! Confused
Thanks in advance and I appreciate it guys.
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Door Reply with quote

Well good luck finding someone who can answer with 100% certainty. ASC is gone and there are no records from them. Ford does not acknowledge the ASC cars were built so nothing there. All we have is Sandy's word or notes. Sandy was not a technical guy but loved the cars and shared the information he gathered in the form of notes on this forum.

My answer was pretty clear if you read the notes from Sandy and the details I added in the last sentence of your quote. You really need to compare the doors yourself if you are unsure.

Any 79 to 93 door will bolt on but the doors did change slightly over the years. It is very unlikely you will find the exact fit door.
85 ASC Vert #612205
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being you are overseas, and access to doors is limited, you can probably get ANY 79-93 door to work with some reworking. The basic shape/form is the same dimensions. It's just that some years, had speakers, some did not, etc. Basic things like window controls and lock controls stayed in the same spots. Mirrors did change and those might be an issue on the older (pre 1987) doors.

I think bottom line for you is the best case is to find any 87-93 NON convertible door. If it has a frame, you should be ok, with removing it.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: