ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Window alignment 86 Roadster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Window alignment 86 Roadster Reply with quote

I replaced the motor a few years ago and pretty much rebuilt the inside of the door. My passenger window is now loose and the motor struggles to roll it up and down. I haven't taken the door panel off, yet, so I don't know exactly what the problem is--and I'm pretty sure I can figure out that issue, but..

the window has always rolled up too much. There was a round stopper on the bottom of the window that would hit something in the door to keep it from rolling too high, but it looked like the stopper was missing something It was as if it needed a PVC tube cover for it?

I did compare the two workings (driver vs passenger) when I replaced the motor, but that has been a few years.

The window workings are stock Capri/Mustang, right? ASC only replaced the glass??
67 Mustang GTA Convt
svo413

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Window Reply with quote

I have not had tp play with the windows much but I seem to recall a white sleeve on the bottom. There are probably pictures here as I have seen them. Likely in a post calling out door differences for replacement.

If you are having trouble with it going up, try greasing the rails. You may just need to replace the motor. I have one than does not like to go up at an idle. Rev the engine and it goes up. Likely more voltage output.

Asc modified the glass, added reinforcement, weatherstripping ends and the pvc stop
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
7ftbill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of window research lately, my guide bushings are bad on my 86 and the previous owner jury rigged them with zip ties :O.

There is information available on window adjustments out there, just buried in links on forums and such.

This is for a convertible (that is what I have) but the window mechanisms can't be that different (or can they, haha):

https://lmr.com/page/how-to-adjust-fox-body-convertible-windows
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks--

I called Henry about my issue and he verified that ASC added PVC to the stopper on the windows!? I recall seeing some around the stopper on the driver window, but not on the passenger one. I think I was busy worrying about getting the power windows and locks to work in general.

I need to get back into that door...

I'll take pics this time to help others with this issue.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Still having issues Reply with quote

So I have the doors apart and it looks like the window is coming out of the track in the front. I haven't replaced the bushings yet (around the center post) but I'm not thinking that will resolve it. I do still have the PVC around the rollers (bumpers?) but the stop bracket on the window is bypassing the bracket on the door. This is causing the window to go up too far and it is hitting on the top.

I'm stymied...
67 Mustang GTA Convt
7ftbill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, sorry, I didn't take any pics of the inside of the door when I had it apart Sad
BUT, I did have a similar problem where my bushings on my slide were shot too. I replaced them and had to realign the whole window and stops.
(it's a fun time getting that slide bar out to replace the bushings!)

Re the window not hitting the track in the front (mirror side track) that is adjustable and shouldn't be much of an issue.

Re the top height adjustment, what I had to do was pull out the top stop bracket (that I also was not hitting) and moved it down one spot - meaning I used the original bottom hole as the new top hole and drilled a new bottom hole - adjusted the bracket as needed - it does slide, just not enough to stop the window. I did this on both windows when I redid the doors and didn't have an issue after.

I used a convertible door window adjustment (or T-top) guide as a reference, but mainly it was just playing with it till I got the stops that I wanted.

Hope that helps!
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that--

There are some good YouTube videos about aligning the windows, but I'm still missing something.

I am going to replace the center slide bushing this weekend, so maybe that would help. I didn't move anything when I replaced the motor, so I'm thinking that someone else was in there at some time and gave up trying..
67 Mustang GTA Convt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: