ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manual mirror cover - 86 capri vert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Manual mirror cover - 86 capri vert Reply with quote

I have a broken mirror cover (think that is what they are called). I haven't seen these manual models (that were metal) repro'd on the common mustang part vendors (npd, lmr...etc) are these hard to get?
I was thinking it would be an easy find, I suppose I could hit a junk yard and grab one if available...

any ideas?

also, if I do pick one up, has anyone repainted these to spruce them up a bit? I was thinking like a flat black or something?
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got pics?

Mine is metal, standard Mustang/Capri, it is just painted the same color as the car.

Should be pretty easy to find a replacement..(eBay!?)
67 Mustang GTA Convt

Last edited by 86MclarenCapri on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need the mirror part, which is metal, and the seal - I cannot figure out what the seal is called - you can see it damaged in the pic

https://i.imgur.com/6sQZhb3.jpg

(sorry, I am still trying to figure out how to link in the post so pics are already here)
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... That part. I believe it is called a 'Mirror mount'.

I don't think it is broken--I think ASC had to grind off the top to get it to fit with the raked back windshield. It looks just like mine..

Also, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that since the cars were originally hard tops and had the frames around the glass, they had to use some convertible weather stripping? I would bet that the weatherstripping is just standard Mustang convertible piece that might have been cut down.

I need to replace mine, too.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86MclarenCapri wrote:
Ahh... That part. I believe it is called a 'Mirror mount'.

I don't think it is broken--I think ASC had to grind off the top to get it to fit with the raked back windshield. It looks just like mine..

Also, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that since the cars were originally hard tops and had the frames around the glass, they had to use some convertible weather stripping? I would bet that the weatherstripping is just standard Mustang convertible piece that might have been cut down.

I need to replace mine, too.

wow, good to know before I started buying something. I thought it was funny that both were "broke"!

re the weather stripping there, I was hoping that it was a standard part, I still have no luck tracking down the piece or the name of it. I have a friend at ford that looked for me and she only sent me hard top info (based off my vin) Sad
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did ask Henry about the molding a few months ago and he has them. You should shoot him a picture of the molding so that you two are on the same page.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: