ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Door handle question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Door handle question Reply with quote

My handles are metal, so either they were changed by ASC or they were changed at another point in this cars life.

I have A LOT of play in the handle before the door opens, from what I understand, the door handle bar (inside the door) should be resting on the handle tab (see pic) you can see that mine is not, I have about 1/2" of play.

if you can zoom on the pic, you can also see what looks like remnants of an old plastic bushing or something that is inside the handle hole (around the bar). I cannot find anything technical that relates to what this is - if this is supposed to be there or not.
I've considered altering the bar to have it sit up more but was not sure if this would affect the performance of the door before I do any permanent damage.

Has anyone experienced this? it happens on both doors

https://i.imgur.com/vBkBMiv.jpg
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me look I have some REPOPS and OE handles at home. I don't recommend the repops.
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all handles were metal?!

Mine has some travel to it, too. It doesn't actually open the door until about half way through it's movement.

There are a lot of forum questions about doors on four eyed pride. I would also check out Youtube for people rebuilding doors..
67 Mustang GTA Convt
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originals were metal.

Repros were plastic.

I am pretty sure on that.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
Originals were metal.

Repros were plastic.

I am pretty sure on that.

-Mike

whoa, I guess I had that backwards then. I would have thought the originals breaking would have been due to them being plastic!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it. Maybe it was the other way. I have to go look it up. I do remember having the body guy put new handles on the car now because I knew they were prone to breaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some further research, I have a friend at ford that was able to reference me to someone that carried an OEM door handle and I had them send me a pic of the inside the door part - there is a small bushing/retainer, most likely stops it from rattling around that the rod goes through.
This is not a replaceable part, well they don't have one to replace it, and it does not appear to affect door operation. I will try to find something to clip in there though, I am glad to know I wasn't crazy though!

https://i.imgur.com/1NpcRtG.jpg
svo413

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Plastic Reply with quote

Sometime by 89 the door handles were changed to plastic. Nos ones in metal are hard to find. The repro metal one work just fine.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience with the after market. And these short comes where pointed out to me by a body shop owner that has installed lots of mustang handles.

Aftermarket handles

1. There is a little bump stop on the outside below handle that on the aftermarket sits a little low.

2. The is slight play left to right in the handle. Not much maybe .060inch I should measure

3. the biggie coming from the body shop is The handle does not center as well as the factory one when putting back on the car

I did go to National Parts Depot and compare MY OE with the aftermarket and there OE And the New OE are lighter in weight then the rest but the above faults of the aftermarket where not as bad as the aftermarket.

I went with used handles and refinished them. Lucky I have a Few
Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: